Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 City of the Dead: giving away a free copy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  14:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sorry that I've been so quiet lately. I had a madly busy winter polishing up City of the Dead, doing another short story for a WOTC anthology that will be out in 2010, moving 2000+ books (dishes, clothes, furniture), job, life...

So, blink, it's almost June. Which means next month I'll have author copies of City of the Dead. And I'm running giveaways at my blog and My Space page. But I'd like to reserve one copy exclusively for a Candlekeep friend.

So drop me a line about why you'd like to go rustling through the shrubbery with Sophraea Carver and Gustin Bone. Put Candlekeep in the subject line. You can reach me at rosemarynovels@aol.com. And I promise to come back for book group discussions too

And, yes, there will be a free bookplate available for all for this book too!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  16:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we submit a response to your email and on your site? And then if we win the CK copy we forfeit the site copy?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  19:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Can we submit a response to your email and on your site? And then if we win the CK copy we forfeit the site copy?

Why not. Let's make up the rules now:
1 copy per person. You can enter in as many of the giveaways as you want: my website (got to find it and do the entry there as described), MySpace page (got to be a friend there to be a MySpace entry), and via e-mail with Candlekeep as the subject line.

1 entry per site (don't stuff the ballot box, there's just me to do the sorting). So three maximum entries per person.

I'll get some impartial person to draw names out of hats -- oh,Erik, are you lurking here?

Results will be posted all three places.

Now, one more rule, be nice to WOTC. Seriously. If you're going to post on my page or MySpace, please don't use the space to rant about how much you hate 4e. This is a 4e book: life in Waterdeep after the Spellplague. I love the setting and had fun with the changes. I love my editor and she works there. I love Ed Greenwood for continuing to write for WOTC and letting us all play in his world. You'd love Ed too if you read his intro to this book. So be nice to WOTC.

If you want to email me privately about how you want a free book so you never have to pay WOTC a penny again, I'll laugh and add it to the hat. But do keep it nice on my pages. I reserve the right to edit.

Happy to be back in Candlekeep.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  20:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

I'll get some impartial person to draw names out of hats -- oh,Erik, are you lurking here?

Better put on my lawful neutral hat.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  21:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tried my luck...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  21:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Better put on my lawful neutral hat.

Cheers

Hiya! OK, I will pay Mr. Erik off in coffee to draw your names out of a hat and promise photo (if he agrees to pose). So get your names in.

Have fun. Deadline is June 2, the official publication date for City of the Dead.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  23:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, now there's modeling involved?

Better bust out the Calvin Klein.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  00:28:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! Maybe I should get in on this. Because like Blackstaff Tower and Downshadow, City of the Dead has been one of the FR novels I've been anticipating the most. Mostly because it'll likely feature some tidbits on one of my favourite areas of the City of Splendors.

I can't wait!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  03:51:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did someone say (ahem) modeling? Erik, are you sure you need those Calvin Kleins? Just your smile should be enough.
After all, when you're drawing out of the hat, we'll all be watching your hands, and only your hands. Promise. Long-fingered, precise, strong and creative . . .
Ahem.
Sage, Ed still raves about CITY OF THE DEAD. And DOWNSHADOW, too, and tells me they're sufficiently different that they don't compete at all, but sit happily on the shelf complementing each other. Except when he pulls them out to read them again.
Of course, Ed's been telling me I've GOT to read Erin's Eddie Presents Waterdeep novel, too, and tells me I'd better take a deep breath before starting James Davis's book, because I sure won't remember to breathe while I'm racing along through it!
Damn, these young writers are good!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  05:09:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Sage, Ed still raves about CITY OF THE DEAD. And DOWNSHADOW, too, and tells me they're sufficiently different that they don't compete at all, but sit happily on the shelf complementing each other. Except when he pulls them out to read them again.
Heh. Downshadow was next on my reading list. But the Lady K got to it first. And since she's a slow reader, I don't expect to see the novel again until the end of the month, probably.

Hmmm. I know she desperately wants to read City of the Dead too, so maybe I can snap up a copy and read it before she does. *fiendish smirk*

Go to Top of Page

Grumpyoldmage
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  05:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Grumpyoldmage's Homepage Send Grumpyoldmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, its so exciting that these forums have multiple realms authors who are so talented and well versed on realmslore! Is there an old scroll somewhere with information for aspiring young writers who might want to see if there up to writing a realms story, or hate to say it perhaps even a book?

I'm mainly wondering how free form some of the better know writers are or how much they cling to the old style of outlining?

Quote of Karsus - "The Elves started this when they tried to steal the Nether Scrolls. They are a culture of the past, who's idea's are as antiquated as their magic."
Go to Top of Page

Grumpyoldmage
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  05:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Grumpyoldmage's Homepage Send Grumpyoldmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh..and thanks in advance! :P

Quote of Karsus - "The Elves started this when they tried to steal the Nether Scrolls. They are a culture of the past, who's idea's are as antiquated as their magic."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  05:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Did someone say (ahem) modeling? Erik, are you sure you need those Calvin Kleins? Just your smile should be enough.

True. Those Calvin Kleins barely fit me anyway. Too tall, you know. That's it.

quote:
After all, when you're drawing out of the hat, we'll all be watching your hands, and only your hands. Promise. Long-fingered, precise, strong and creative . . .
Ahem.

DEX 17 at least.

And I accept your honorable challenge, my lady. There shall *indeed* be modeling photos involved. (Wedding ring only, ladies and gents.)

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Downshadow was next on my reading list. But the Lady K got to it first. And since she's a slow reader, I don't expect to see the novel again until the end of the month, probably.

Wish her my best--have you got your order from Seattle yet?

Not to derail Rosemary's thread--much.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  06:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik pulling the names out of the hat and I'll have his lady wife approve any photos posted (sorry kids!).

NOW ONTO THE BIG NEWS:
I found an extra copy of Realms of Dragons II, the anthology where Erik and I first "met" (took several months later to realize we both lived in Seattle). So Erik will sign his story, I'll sign my story, and this will be added to the drawing for a grand prize where some lucky soul will get City and Dragons II.

You have until June 2 to get those names sent to me! It's rosemarynovels@aol.com and put Candlekeep in the subject line.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  06:22:21  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpyoldmage

I'm mainly wondering how free form some of the better know writers are or how much they cling to the old style of outlining?

I don't know if it is "old style" to outline but it's actually required for this book. As in, I had to submit a complete chapter by chapter outline to WOTC and Ed before I got the green light to write.

Now, I do very complete outlines, usually about 30 to 32 pages for a 350 page book or about a page per chapter. There's always the action, sometimes a line or two of dialogue (which rarely survives to the final version), some character description, and on.

Now, this does not mean that I don't stray off the outline and pursue other ideas as the book progresses. There's also lots of scribbly notes that get added and characters change etc. But having the outline is a huge help.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Grumpyoldmage
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  06:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Grumpyoldmage's Homepage Send Grumpyoldmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't know if it is "old style" to outline but it's actually required for this book. As in, I had to submit a complete chapter by chapter outline to WOTC and Ed before I got the green light to write.

Now, I do very complete outlines, usually about 30 to 32 pages for a 350 page book or about a page per chapter. There's always the action, sometimes a line or two of dialogue (which rarely survives to the final version), some character description, and on.

Now, this does not mean that I don't stray off the outline and pursue other ideas as the book progresses. There's also lots of scribbly notes that get added and characters change etc. But having the outline is a huge help.

Wow! Very exciting! I totally agree that an outline is very important, and I struggle with that because my Dm'ing style for my Forgotten Realms games are very loose and free form. I enjoy developing the side story arcs, and I guess its just part of my Aquarian nature to see where the story goes.

For writing something as complex as a novel however, I can see the necessity of it. Especially when you have to submit for review. Thanks for the info!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  07:46:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Wish her my best--have you got your order from Seattle yet?
Aye. Downshadow arrived at my parents' house.

I only just found out that it's actually been in the Perth Mail Centre for over a week, but recent shipping/posting problems here resulted in a delayed delivery last Friday. Though, the Lady K tells me there's a delightful little "note" from you scribbled inside.
quote:
Not to derail Rosemary's thread--much.
Indeed. I apologise for the slight derailment Rosemary.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  18:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever wants to ask me a question about writing, I'm always happy to chat. You'll probably get a longer answer than you want!

Off to design the City bookplate. Something with shrubbery...

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  09:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And, yes, there will be a free bookplate available for all for this book too!

I still treasure mine for Crypt, and the card (and envelope) it was posted in.

As for the rest, duly noted, thanks Rosemary, but abstaining still...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  17:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bookplate for this one is turning out awesome. Once the contest is over, I'll be posting details on my blog.

And for everyone who wants to support an author and buy a 3E book: you can still get Crypt of the Moaning Diamond :)

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  20:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And for everyone who wants to support an author and buy a 3E book: you can still get Crypt of the Moaning Diamond :)

How could you ignore that we have already done that a long time ago...

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 27 May 2009 20:28:21
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  05:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:

How could you ignore that we have already done that a long time ago...

Thank you, Fillow! But not everyone is as up-to-date as you.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  05:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you, Fillow! But not everyone is as up-to-date as you.

Shame on them !!

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Orn
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  21:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Orn's Homepage Send Orn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name's entered. I hope I win, it would be a nice birthday gift ;) (Was on May 26th)

Either way, I think I'll get your book. Concerning 4th edition, I'm an optimist. I read forgotten realms because the authors are very good in general, and am willing to take a chance on authors I havn't read before.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  19:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was released here in Calgary at Chapter's last week. Not sure why it was released early. I picked up a copy a couple of days ago and so far I'm loving it! Can't wait to read on!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  03:32:09  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sith_Lord_Drizzt (wow, now that's one scary moniker)
Oh I think the WOTC release dates are more "probably available by" rather than the stricter "we will close down your supply if you cheat" Harry Potter release dates. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. There is a signed bookplate available should you want one. You have earned it by posting a comment about City of the Dead :)

The drawing for the freebie closes June 2. Email me at rosemarynovels@aol.com if you've haven't yet: put Candlekeep in the subject line and let me know you want to be in the drawing.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  14:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who entered the drawing. I'll be posting the winners on June 5 here and on my blog.

There is a free bookplate for this book too! A number of you got the bookplate for Crypt and already know I design bookplates specifically for the book. So the City of the Dead bookplate is a new design, has the author's real signature, and a fun admonishment for readers. I love the new one, it's spooky (heh, heh).

BUT there's a catch this year: to earn a bookplate you must post a comment about City of the Dead somewhere on the web and send me the link to that comment. Participating in any and all Candlekeep discussions counts (naturally!) Just say "I commented in [name of thread] on Candlekeep" when you e-mail me. What you say does not matter. Just let me know you said something.

Bookplates now cost me about $1 to make and mail in the US, more if they are going overseas. I'll happily ship to anyone who has read City or thinks they want to read City. But I'm cutting out the people (not from Candlekeep) who asked for bookplates because they wanted to see what a bookplate looked like.

Hope you're having a great week. Come back June 5 to learn who the winners are.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  06:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meeting at a secret location in Seattle, which oddly resembled a doughnut shop, Erik Scott de Bie bravely plunged his hand into the bag four times, pausing for dramatic effect as I fumbled with the camera (you can see Erik's brief career as a hand model at www.rosemaryjones.com).

Drumroll.....and the winners are:

Ashe Ravenheart (aka Matt): City of the Dead and Realms of Dragons II
Tim Cassibo: City of the Dead [Castlekeep entry]
Christopher Heard: City of the Dead [Blog entry]
John Bragna: City of Dead [My Space entry]

Thank you again to everyone who entered! Because you entered you automatically qualify for a free bookplate for City of the Dead. If you want a bookplate sent to you, just e-mail your address to me at rosemarynovels@aol.com.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  08:14:57  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But heartfelt congratulations to the winners.
Especially to Ashe (Dunno who are the other lucky winners !)

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 05 Jun 2009 08:17:11
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  14:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(you can see Erik's brief career as a hand model at www.rosemaryjones.com)

Wearing nothing but my wedding ring, as promised ladies.

Hands looks kinda bloated though. Must get on the phone with my agent.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  16:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they ever need a new "Thing" for Addams Family, Erik has my vote!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000