Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Least favorite FR character.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Osmo
Acolyte

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  13:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Osmo's Homepage Send Osmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well the obvious choice after your fav would have to be your least favorite. So come on Candlekeepians who are they and be brutally honest. Azoun, I mean hey, what a cliche. (that rhymed..he he) Everone from hillsfar. The buggers are not welcomming at all.

I'm Tae Fisher..The loveable rogue.:)

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  13:25:13  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My least favorite character is ... well... i like them all at least a little bit. I can't find one that i particularly don't like. I'll think about it
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  13:54:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just before I begin, I believe this scroll deals with a similar theme to this one, and may provide some interesting new topics to discuss in this scroll.

Like zemd, I find it particularly difficult to decide on one least favorite FR character. This is because I like all of the characters to some degree. However, since we are talking FR characters in novels, the entire cast of characters in the BG novels would have to be my least favorite.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jul 2003 13:54:58
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  14:04:05  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's right, i forgot the BG characters... But maybe i'm not very objective on that point since i find the BG series quite boring...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  14:21:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found most of the BG series rather uninteresting as well, although Throne of Bhaal had some high points.

But I have had some more time to think about this, and I now remember another character that I really did not care much for, in terms of character development and character portrayal - Sunbright Steelshanks from the 'Netheril Trilogy'.

Thoughts?.

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  15:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My least favorite FR character is Mystra/Midnight. I dislike her the most as a Goddes. As a mortal she was .... ok. She's boring and above all, she pokes her nose into everyones business. Why is that. Keep to your own portfolio and stop trying to get your way like a spoiled child. I hope they write a book soon where she dies.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  15:44:03  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh! That's my favorite character AND my favorite godess. I think as a character she was great and as a goddess, her former status as a human gives us more depth.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:16:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with that point Mask. Mystra can really not stop 'poking her nose into everyones business' as you say, simply because magic is her 'business'. If Mystra were to ignore such a thing or simply allow those with magic to proceed however they saw fit, the potential for the abuse of magic would be great indeed.

And as for Mystra 'getting her own way', considering how pervasive and important magic is to the balance of the Realms, letting Mystra get her way, is a small price to pay for the eternal balance of the Weave. One has only to look at the examples in FR history when the Weave was threatened, or other similar events to see what type of problems could result, from Mystra being denied her way.

Mystra has really only involved herself in events (most of the time) that deal with the Weave in some way. Afterall there is a reason why she is a greater goddess.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  17:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mask

My least favorite FR character is Mystra/Midnight. I dislike her the most as a Goddes. As a mortal she was .... ok. She's boring and above all, she pokes her nose into everyones business. Why is that. Keep to your own portfolio and stop trying to get your way like a spoiled child. I hope they write a book soon where she dies.

Even though I do like Mystra, I can see your point. She really did carry her vendetta with Cyric into godhood a little further than she should have. With Magic being neutral she should not have a problem with evil gods. You have to admire her style though; making the Seraph of Lies only able to tell the truth now that is cool.

With a name like Mask you are probably a little upset about the whole shadow Mastiff thing. After that, Mask started his decline.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.

Edited by - Mythander on 21 Jul 2003 20:03:56
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  17:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Osmo

Well the obvious choice after your fav would have to be your least favorite. So come on Candlekeepians who are they and be brutally honest. Azoun, I mean hey, what a cliche. (that rhymed..he he) Everone from hillsfar. The buggers are not welcomming at all.

My least favorite Character has to be Passepout, the companion of Volo. he is one of the few characters I could have done without.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  19:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Least favorite Realms character? Tough one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Helm. He always follows the letter of his duty, and he can't really see past that. There must be a cause for duty, not merely duty for its own sake. Helm isn't true to himself or his portfolio anymore. If he ever was.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

stoltzVI
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  22:20:54  Show Profile  Visit stoltzVI's Homepage Send stoltzVI a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ooooh, least favorite realms character, well, the bone-stupid paladin in "Thornhold" would get my vote anyday can`t remember his name though, throughout the entire book he just kept annoying me more and more with his "follow-orders mentality" which he had an extreme case of. (Of course, the paladins i`ve played since then has been eerily similar to him for some unknown reason, could be i like to annoy the other players a bit!)
Nothing beats when another PC was trying to chat up a half elven maiden who was to be wed to some baron somewhere and we were charged with making sure that she made the journey.
"of course my dear friend, you may very well try to run away with her, but then i would have to hunt you down and bring YOU back for trial and her to her rightful husband"

Guess which god!
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  22:31:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By far my least favourite character has always been ADON. I HATED him in the books, and I think he is just a powerless goofball. Cyric should of dumped him out of the boat and sent him down the river.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  01:25:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually now that I think about it, Adon really did not appeal to me at all either. In fact, with the exception of Cyric, I found little interest in any of the characters from the 'Avatar' Trilogy. They all seemed less developed and poorly handled, than most characters in a FR novel. That may be however, a consequence of the triology having more than one author, and more than one interpretation on how to 'write' the characters. One only has to look at the seamlessness (as Mournblade has said) of the characters in the WotSQ series to realise that seamless character portrayal by many authors is possible.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  08:30:00  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My least favourites:

Basically everyone in the Tuigan horde series, idiots, wanted to slaughter em all myself

All the people in the Nobles series

Quite a few harpers with their intefering way

That spellfire wielding girl in the book of the same name, i often found myself wishing Elminster would just blast her

Sage: were there books made of all the BG pc games? I read the Baldur's Gate I book, and it was - well bad to be honest...i didn't know they made for the rest of the series - or did they?

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  08:39:00  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malanthius, It's normal that Helm "follows the letter of his duty, and he can't really see past that" after it's the principle of his godhood. It's like saying that you don't like Mask because he loves shadow too much.

Mournblade and Sage, i agree with both of you for Adon, but only for the Avatar Trilogy, in the other books i find him much more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:00:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I liked Adon in his short-story 'Curse of Tegea', in the Realms of Valor anthology, and the two Cyric books, but that was because those novels had only one author, and not multiple interpretations of the one character like the 'Avatar' trilogy.

MuadDib said -
quote:
That spellfire wielding girl in the book of the same name, i often found myself wishing Elminster would just blast her

That would be Shandril Shessair.

Oh, and MuadDib, there were novels released for both BG 1 & 2, and the expansion called Throne of Bhaal.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jul 2003 09:02:46
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  10:05:36  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
damn, i will have to look for that then...i want to get them.

Perhaps you could answer a few questions for me so long. Who was the party he travelled with (forgot the main character's name) and how do they handle the characters of Irenicus, Bodhi and Mellisan?

And how do they describe Cespenar?

I definitely need to get those books though, because i have got to be the world's greatest BG fan, its what got me into D&D

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  10:13:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be sending you a character profile and novel synopsis by ethereal mail MuadDib. It is too long (and has several internal links) to post here.

It covers basic information about all the BG novels, and the characters. Don't worry about potential spoilers though, the synopsis does not really cover that much, but it should be enough to answer your questions.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  10:40:55  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::MuadDib jumps up and down in excitement and begins to cast his clerical spell - Draw Upon Holy Bandwidth to help the process along::

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  11:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so Mystra is the goddes of magic, but magic is neutral, or it should be. Otherwise she could withhold all evil creatures of magic and good would win. And it seems to me that she is more good than evil, and I would like to present evidence. The novel Crucible, the trial of Cyric the mad. Anyway, what is it with all her chosens. I mean, how many does she have? I say that a god or goddes should be allowed only one chosen.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  11:20:18  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm, i think i know what you are saying, but i think the reason she sides with the good people (in a general sense, please forgive me) is that while magic is neutral, as you said, i think that people who abuse magic, are put in their place by her...

Elminster obviously has access to killing spells and could kill almost anyone he wanted to, but he normally chooses non-lethal methods, which i think illustrates my point.

I think Mystra has many chosen because 1) i think she is one of the most popular Gods and as such has a greater following (although the novel Waterdeep would have one believe that Torm has the greatest number of believers) and 2) Magic is such an all encompassing field that by default, she in involved in almost any situation which could occur as there is very little which happens in the realms without some sort of connection to magic.

At least i would think so...

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  11:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe magic-users can do with magic what they want to do with it. Not that I aprove of killing-magic, but if magic is neutral, than they should use it as they see fit, not Mystra. If she was to withhold every evil magic-user of magic, than there would be no balance. Isn't that one of her jobs as goddes of magic? To keep the balance in the weave?

Nothing is impossible!

Edited by - Mask on 22 Jul 2003 11:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  11:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Mystryl and the first Mystra were both Neutral in alignment. Their once-mortal successor, Midnight (now known as Mystra) kept her alignment when she took the mantle of Goddess of Magic.

Secondly, the reason why she has had so many Chosen is because of the nature of her portfolio. As the goddess of all magic, she is the most powerful of all. To keep things balanced, she has to store some of her power in mortal vessels -- the Chosen.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  12:31:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra was aware of the events surrounding her destruction during the Time of Troubles. She chose to invest portions of her power into specially selected mortals in order to ensure that her successor (Midnight) would have a substantial number of nearly immortal and considerably powerful allies in her struggles against the cunning schemes of the other gods.

There is a prevailing theory among sages, that Mystra informed Azuth in 0 DR that some of her power must be invested in the hands of mortals who would eventually become Mystra's Chosen. This power would lay dormant within the Chosens' bodies, which would allow Mystra to call upon that power whenever she would require it.

Mystra's early experiments in investing portions of her power in mortals met with little success. It was then decided by Mystra that only those mortals stern and controlled enough to contain such power and not allow it to corrupt and destroy them, would be 'chosen'.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:09:41  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if Mystra is more good than neutral, it is balanced by the new kind of magic of Shar. And don't forget that Ao chose her because she was good, to balance Cyric evilness (eng?). It's said i at the end of the Avatar's Trilogy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:17:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point zemd. Hmm...all this deity balancing is making the Realms sound more and more like the Dragonlance setting .

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:24:32  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think so. The DL setting is a three axis balance: good/neutral/evil. The FR setting holds much more with, IMHO, good/neutral/evil but also Law/neutral/chaos. To put it in a nutshell, they emphasize on all the different alignement of the player characters. But i must admit that the neutral parts are not very actives
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:30:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that. What I meant was, the length deities will go to to maintain the fragile balance of their world and their power. For example, the stepping down of Paladine after the fall of Takhisis in the War of Souls, to preserve the overall balance on Krynn. It is similar in effect to Shar and the creation of the Shadow Weave, to balance against Mystra and the Weave. Both Good and Evil are held eternally in check.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:36:04  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ho ok. But still there is a difference... (i know i try to find the litlle detail!) In FR, it's Ao that make the the balance work even against the will of the other gods. In DL it's the gods themselves.

I don't like much the DL religion, it's to simple and doesn't hold enough depth IMO. On the contrary i find the Realms Mythology quite complexe and interesting.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:59:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you have forgotten about a little event called the 'Chaos War'.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000