Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elven rangers in FR novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  14:03:21  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all.

One of the PCs in my campaign is new to D&D and the Realms and would like to read an FR novel that would help her to understand and visualize her character's class, race and geographic origins. She is an Elf ranger from the Dales (hasn't decided which). Our 2E campaign is set in Cormyr in 1358. Does anyone have suggestions?

Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  14:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy by Ed Greenwood has a party of three Rangers called "The Rangers Three". This is set in the dalelands during the time of troubles. This will at least give them an idea of the Ranger class in the realms and in that area. Highly recommend it.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 04 Jun 2008 14:12:45
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  15:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy by Ed Greenwood has a party of three Rangers called "The Rangers Three". This is set in the dalelands during the time of troubles. This will at least give them an idea of the Ranger class in the realms and in that area. Highly recommend it.

Are any of the rangers Elves?

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 04 Jun 2008 15:34:34
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  15:41:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, a rather obvious choice for rangers would be Drizzt Do'urden, though he is a Drow and that might make his lookout on the world above and nature in general a bit special. However, IMO it could help visualize the general concept of a rangers view (esp. Drizzt time with Montolio Debrouchee in the novel 'Sojourn').

Besides that I remember a few other appearances of elfs and/or rangers in the Hunters Blade Trilogy featuring the moon elves Innovindil and her partner Tarathiel.

Moreover, there was a (Drow)/elf settlement dedicated to Eilistraee in one of the War of hte Spider Queen books - was it Extinction? - that IMO gave a nice look on elves, though strongly focused on the Dark Maiden.

Lastly I recall Bran Skorlskun, a ranger featured in Elaine Cunninghams Elfshadow.

Edit note:
Before it slips my mind: another ranger and harper agent worshipping Eldath is featured in Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood but only on very few pages and without much information that would further game play, IMHO.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 04 Jun 2008 15:45:01
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  16:09:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:

The Rangers Three are Itharr, Belkram and Sharantyr, none of them being elves IIRC.

But than again it is ages ago that I have read the books, don't have them at hand and can't remember ever seeing stats for one of them.

Edit note:You might find more info on them in Kuje's NPC list, which is stored somewhere here at Candlekeep according to his homepage.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 04 Jun 2008 16:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  16:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No they aren't elves but they are Rangers currently in the dales (in the story)...they are human and I remember one is from Baldur's Gate

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  19:18:14  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Human rangers, I liked Martine from Soldiers of Ice.

The Last Mythal books (at least the first two: Forsaken House & Farthest Reach) had an elf scout(?), Gaerradh, who would function much like a ranger. I never knew if scout was her class or her task as a ranger, especially since she has an animal companion. I don't recall if she appears in the third book or not.

It seems there was a male elf ranger with a K-name in Dove's party to track down Drizzt, but I don't remember which novel that was, Afet.
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  19:57:18  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also an Elven Ranger in the novel Soujorn from Drizzt's story. His name if I remember, is Kellindil.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2008 :  01:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They may not be elves but I still think reading about them is a good idea.

There's also an elven ranger who features quite heavily in the first Last Mythal book, Forsaken House.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2008 :  14:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

quote:

The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy by Ed Greenwood has a party of three Rangers called "The Rangers Three".

They may not be elves but I still think reading about them is a good idea.
There's also an elven ranger who features quite heavily in the first Last Mythal book, Forsaken House.

I've already ordered Shadows of Doom I'll add Forsaken House to the list. Thanks, Rin.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  20:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  03:49:06  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Human rangers, I liked Martine from Soldiers of Ice.

An underrated book

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  13:13:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Foxfire, an elven ranger from SILVER SHADOWS.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  14:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Thanks, Elaine. I'm just about to read ELFSHADOW.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  11:09:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat
It seems there was a male elf ranger with a K-name in Dove's party to track down Drizzt, but I don't remember which novel that was, Afet.

quote:
Originally posted by Elven Avenger

There's also an Elven Ranger in the novel Soujorn from Drizzt's story. His name if I remember, is Kellindil.

Kellendil is an interesting sort in that he appears to have originated from <the Cold Wood>, rather than the Moonwood, as most of the other elves Drizzt has met, have done.

Kell also is said to rarely stay with his own kind, instead preferring the road. We first meet him in the novel Sojourn with a party of humans and a dwarf.

(Another interesting, though non-Realmsian elven ranger of Salvatore's can be found in his "Spearwielder's Tale" trilogy of books. Kelsenellenelvial Gil'Ravadry, or Kelsey, for short, is an arrogant elf who nevertheless grows on you over time . . .)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  18:48:57  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

oh yeah

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000