Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What Race is Derst? (from Ghostwalker)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  20:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
This is for those folks who have read my novel Ghostwalker (but also for those who, well, haven't).

What race is Derst Goldtook, the irascible "rogue-in-knight's-armor" of Arya Venkyr's companions?

But before you vote, a little background:

This poll is inspired by one of the threads of the Ghostwalker book club discussion. We were talking about Derst and I mentioned that he was a half-elf, a point upon which I was promptly questioned/corrected by readers who claimed they'd never read such an implication in the novel. I looked back through and lo-and-behold, the only half-elves mentioned in the novel *as* half-elves are Torlic (the villainous fencer), Lyetha Greyt (the wife of the Lord Singer), and Amra Clearwater (the druid of Quaervarr).

(spoilers in linked thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5626&whichpage=3)

Now *I* was always operating under the assumption that he was a half-elf (he might have been a half-elf in my initial planning, but there isn't any reference int he final draft), but that doesn't mean I'm right. If there's not definitive answer, then that leaves Derst's race open to interpretation, and I wanted to know what y'all might think.

I should mention that Derst is described as "a slender man in mail," the "perfect shape for a wererat," a "mangy goblin," and is generally very short and slight.

And so. Here I am, opening this thread, to see how the interpretation of Derst's character went:

What race do YOU think Derst is (or, perhaps, *should be*)?

If your vote is for "Human with some heritage from another race," let me know what the other race would be.

Cheers

Choices:

aasimar
dwarf
elf
genasi (kind?)
gnome
half-elf
halfling
half-orc
human (only)
human with some heritage from another race
tiefling
other

(Anonymous Vote)

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  20:59:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed he was human, myself. Humans are the most populous bunch, and there was no reason to assume he wasn't human... But I'll freely admit I could be wrong*.

*Though, admittedly, I've only been wrong on one other occasion. Just one. I'm that good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Mar 2007 21:01:22
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  21:11:21  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been wrong loads of times, but I'm still going for 'human'.

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  23:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed--I just assumed he was human...and yes, humans are the majority in that part of the world where Ghostwalker takes place (and therefore the "default", rightly or wrongly). It's possible he has the blood of some other race in him, but how would one decide that?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  00:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It's possible he has the blood of some other race in him, but how would one decide that?

I guess . . . just by whim.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  04:03:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is a human in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  07:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed -- and voted -- human. If he was born and bred in Silverymoon, he'd be either Chondathan or Illuskan. Towards the more exotic (but not so that you would really notice in the book) side, and being from that region he could only be Half-Elf or Tiefling or Water Genasi (shortest average, but atypical for the region). Or a more watered down, but taller mix of one of those and either Chondathan or Illuskan.

Unless I got my source and/or maths wrong:
  • Chondatahan - 5'10" average; 5'3" minimum

• Illuskan - 5'11" average; 5'4" minimum

• Half-Elf - 5'9" average; 5' minimum

• Tiefling - 5'9" average; 5' minimum

• Water Genasi - 5'7" average; 5' minimum
I think he's just a plain old average to short Chondathan or Illuskan.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  14:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent post, Kyrene!

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Towards the more exotic (but not so that you would really notice in the book) side, and being from that region he could only be Half-Elf or Tiefling or Water Genasi (shortest average, but atypical for the region).

Why do you say "only" those?

Just curious.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  16:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "human with some heritage from another race". I hade a hard time seeing him as only human, it seems that there is something more about him than what is shown. But I certainty didn’t see him as a half-elf.

At one point I thought he was a genasi…….

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  06:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Why do you say "only" those?

Since I don't own a single source book, I make extensive use of the internet for anything FR related. I often use Forgotten Realms Helps (http://www.realmshelps.dandello.net)* since it is an easy-to-use, consolidated source of information, especially useful for character creation -- which I do a lot of while designing my little NWN module. Among its pages is a consolidated region/race list, which you can use for things like 1st level regional feats, language selection, favoured deities and the like for the character you might have in mind. Listed under Silverymoon and/or Silver Marches and recommended native sub-races is Half-Moon Elf, Chondathan, Illuskan and Tiefling.

Now I will be the first to admit that anything and everything is possible in FR, and that this single source may not be exhaustive either, but your poll is based on conjecture. If I'm going to hypothesise, I'll try to do it with the most amount of 'fact' in my corner. Genasi are not really all that prevalent in the Marches -- a lot moreso in places with a 'divine' or extra-planar history like Calimshan (djinn, etc), Mulhorand and Unther, and Thay (due to what the RW get up to) -- therefore if one is to assume, one should assume that Derst is born-'n-bred Marches, therefore needs to have a bloodline at least mostly rooted in the prevalent sub-races of the region.

Or he could be a stranger that just happens to have become a knight of the Argent Legion and could therefore be a vampiric half-kobold half-forest gnome wererat woodling...

* Someone should really teach me how to URL properly

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  14:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds quite solid, Kyrene. Well said.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  10:22:55  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
human (only)

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000