Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What Race is Derst? (from Ghostwalker)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Mar 2007 : 20:19:33
This is for those folks who have read my novel Ghostwalker (but also for those who, well, haven't).

What race is Derst Goldtook, the irascible "rogue-in-knight's-armor" of Arya Venkyr's companions?

But before you vote, a little background:

This poll is inspired by one of the threads of the Ghostwalker book club discussion. We were talking about Derst and I mentioned that he was a half-elf, a point upon which I was promptly questioned/corrected by readers who claimed they'd never read such an implication in the novel. I looked back through and lo-and-behold, the only half-elves mentioned in the novel *as* half-elves are Torlic (the villainous fencer), Lyetha Greyt (the wife of the Lord Singer), and Amra Clearwater (the druid of Quaervarr).

(spoilers in linked thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5626&whichpage=3)

Now *I* was always operating under the assumption that he was a half-elf (he might have been a half-elf in my initial planning, but there isn't any reference int he final draft), but that doesn't mean I'm right. If there's not definitive answer, then that leaves Derst's race open to interpretation, and I wanted to know what y'all might think.

I should mention that Derst is described as "a slender man in mail," the "perfect shape for a wererat," a "mangy goblin," and is generally very short and slight.

And so. Here I am, opening this thread, to see how the interpretation of Derst's character went:

What race do YOU think Derst is (or, perhaps, *should be*)?

If your vote is for "Human with some heritage from another race," let me know what the other race would be.

Cheers
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 10:22:55
human (only)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 23 Mar 2007 : 14:09:16
That sounds quite solid, Kyrene. Well said.

Cheers
Kyrene Posted - 23 Mar 2007 : 06:19:14
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Why do you say "only" those?

Since I don't own a single source book, I make extensive use of the internet for anything FR related. I often use Forgotten Realms Helps (http://www.realmshelps.dandello.net)* since it is an easy-to-use, consolidated source of information, especially useful for character creation -- which I do a lot of while designing my little NWN module. Among its pages is a consolidated region/race list, which you can use for things like 1st level regional feats, language selection, favoured deities and the like for the character you might have in mind. Listed under Silverymoon and/or Silver Marches and recommended native sub-races is Half-Moon Elf, Chondathan, Illuskan and Tiefling.

Now I will be the first to admit that anything and everything is possible in FR, and that this single source may not be exhaustive either, but your poll is based on conjecture. If I'm going to hypothesise, I'll try to do it with the most amount of 'fact' in my corner. Genasi are not really all that prevalent in the Marches -- a lot moreso in places with a 'divine' or extra-planar history like Calimshan (djinn, etc), Mulhorand and Unther, and Thay (due to what the RW get up to) -- therefore if one is to assume, one should assume that Derst is born-'n-bred Marches, therefore needs to have a bloodline at least mostly rooted in the prevalent sub-races of the region.

Or he could be a stranger that just happens to have become a knight of the Argent Legion and could therefore be a vampiric half-kobold half-forest gnome wererat woodling...

* Someone should really teach me how to URL properly
Victor_ograygor Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 16:10:52
I voted "human with some heritage from another race". I hade a hard time seeing him as only human, it seems that there is something more about him than what is shown. But I certainty didn’t see him as a half-elf.

At one point I thought he was a genasi…….
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 14:59:45
Excellent post, Kyrene!

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Towards the more exotic (but not so that you would really notice in the book) side, and being from that region he could only be Half-Elf or Tiefling or Water Genasi (shortest average, but atypical for the region).

Why do you say "only" those?

Just curious.

Cheers
Kyrene Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 07:56:14
I assumed -- and voted -- human. If he was born and bred in Silverymoon, he'd be either Chondathan or Illuskan. Towards the more exotic (but not so that you would really notice in the book) side, and being from that region he could only be Half-Elf or Tiefling or Water Genasi (shortest average, but atypical for the region). Or a more watered down, but taller mix of one of those and either Chondathan or Illuskan.

Unless I got my source and/or maths wrong:
  • Chondatahan - 5'10" average; 5'3" minimum

• Illuskan - 5'11" average; 5'4" minimum

• Half-Elf - 5'9" average; 5' minimum

• Tiefling - 5'9" average; 5' minimum

• Water Genasi - 5'7" average; 5' minimum
I think he's just a plain old average to short Chondathan or Illuskan.
scererar Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 04:03:28
He is a human in my opinion.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 00:02:26
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It's possible he has the blood of some other race in him, but how would one decide that?

I guess . . . just by whim.

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Mar 2007 : 23:02:15
Agreed--I just assumed he was human...and yes, humans are the majority in that part of the world where Ghostwalker takes place (and therefore the "default", rightly or wrongly). It's possible he has the blood of some other race in him, but how would one decide that?
J D Dunsany Posted - 19 Mar 2007 : 21:11:21
Well, I've been wrong loads of times, but I'm still going for 'human'.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Mar 2007 : 20:59:58
I assumed he was human, myself. Humans are the most populous bunch, and there was no reason to assume he wasn't human... But I'll freely admit I could be wrong*.

*Though, admittedly, I've only been wrong on one other occasion. Just one. I'm that good.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000