Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Favorite Published Realms Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

botd
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  06:27:35  Show Profile  Visit botd's Homepage Send botd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am curious as to what the posters here regard as their favorite published adventures set in the Forgotten Realms, no matter the edition or the format (Dungeon or normal product).

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  08:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

A very good question, indeed, botd. (Welcome to Candlekeep, too).

As an aid, here's a list of FR adventure modules (not including Dungeon adventures).

Under Illefarn
Treasure Hunt
Swords of the Iron Legion
Desert of Desolation
Ruins of Adventure
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Halls of the High King
Nightmare Keep
Hordes of Dragonspear
Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
The Jungles of Chult
Doom of Daggerdale
Forgotten Realms Book Of Lairs
Four from Cormyr
Hellgate Keep
For Duty and Deity
Castle Spulzeer
Gateway to the Living City
Inside Ravens Bluff
Nightwatch in the Living City
Port of Ravens Bluff
The Twilight Tomb
Sons of Gruumsh
City of the Spider Queen
Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor
Into the Dragons Lair
The Dungeon of Death
Kidnapped (RPGA Exclusive)
RPGA TSR Jam 1999
The Wyrmskull Throne
The Accursed Tower

Bloodstone Pass
The Mines of Bloodstone
The Bloodstone Wars
The Throne of Bloodstone

Shadowdale
Tantras
Waterdeep

Marco Volo: Departure
Marco Volo: Journey
Marco Volo: Arrival

The Sword of The Dales
The Secret of Spiderhaunt
The Return of Randal Morn

The Lost Level
Maddgoths Castle
Star Dock

Storm Riders
Black Courser
Blood Charge

Fires of Zatal
Endless Armies
City of Gold

Swords of the Daimyo How The Mighty Are Fallen
Night of the Seven Swords
Ochimo, the Spirit Warrior
Blood of the Yakuza
Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claws
Ronin Challenge
Test of the Samurai
Ninja Wars

Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave
Shadowdale: The Scourging of the Land
Anauroch: The Empire of Shade

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  13:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had the most fun running Doom of Daggerdale and the Sword of the Dales, but to get the real Greewoodian feel of the Realms I always go straight to the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar (even though it is a bit heavy on the treasure).
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  15:04:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met indeed

A very nice first post!

Haunted Halls of Eveningstar and Halls of the High King are joint 1st for me, loads of Lore, NPC's adventure hooks, clack etc etc etc, if HHoE was a 62 page Module rather than a 32 it would be 1st in its own right. HotHK is just superb you can run an entire campaign from that one 64 page book talk about value for money!

I like the avatar series for the Lore not the storyline, and Tantras is the best of the 3 IMHO

Under Illefarn is also very good, nice mix of dungeon bashing, wilderness and intrigue, with a place that small enough for the players to be important, but close by to bigger challenges as well

Doom of Daggerdale and The Sword of the Dales are also nice starters and can be combined quite easily to make a good mini-campaign together

of the three Schend undermountain ones, The Lost Level is th best, I find Maddgoths Castle an interesting concept but it doesn't 'work' for me, I don't know why exactly, however Hellgate Keeper is an absolute GEM and needs to be incorporated into every campaign. Again choked full of Lore and NPC's and a dungeon bash and politics, extremely well done by SES.

Ones to miss
The Marco Volo trilogy, I cannot find words to say how rubbish they are and how dissapointed I am that I bought 2 and 3 after I got 1 and was amazed how shockingly crap it was. (I can only say I was completeing my collection, not that I am fanboy or anything!). Written by Anthony Pryor who I don't recall every producing anything else for the Realms? (thankfully)

Hordes of Dragonspear - why?? what did it do exactly? (this Bill Connors work IIRC? he should have stuck to Ravenloft). Another 32 pager that was waste of print.

Jungles of Chult: I was really looking forward to this one and then it was poor, nothing special or exciting or Realmsian, just another generic module that that slapped FR on the front hoping it would sell (and written by what I would call another non FR person - Jean Rabe - it read like the usual RPGA adventure).

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  15:14:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halls of the High King was definitely one of my favorites. At the time, it was great because it was a fun adventure that not only revisited the Moonshaes, but kind of tied them back into the rest of the Realms. My Waterdhavian adventurers sailed over for the adventure, and it worked out really well.

Mad Monkey versus Dragon Claw was one of my all time favorite D&D adventures, regardless of setting or edition. Not only that, but the high fantasy, secret societies, and city with a billion portals made it feel like Kara-Tur was the Eastern Realms for me, rather than just "fantasy China" as some of the Kara-Tur adventures seemed to evoke. Then again, it probably helped that Jeff Grubb wrote it.

In more recent adventures, I had fun running the Twilight Tomb for my kids, right up until they made the classic mistake of splitting the party, and then, boom, Dad got to hand out his first TPK.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  15:54:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Mad Monkey versus Dragon Claw was one of my all time favorite D&D adventures, regardless of setting or edition. Not only that, but the high fantasy, secret societies, and city with a billion portals made it feel like Kara-Tur was the Eastern Realms for me, rather than just "fantasy China" as some of the Kara-Tur adventures seemed to evoke. Then again, it probably helped that Jeff Grubb wrote it.

I love the "Fortune Cookie Philosophy" page of that one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  16:45:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Well Met indeed

A very nice first post!

Haunted Halls of Eveningstar and Halls of the High King are joint 1st for me, loads of Lore, NPC's adventure hooks, clack etc etc etc, if HHoE was a 62 page Module rather than a 32 it would be 1st in its own right. HotHK is just superb you can run an entire campaign from that one 64 page book talk about value for money!

I like the avatar series for the Lore not the storyline, and Tantras is the best of the 3 IMHO

Under Illefarn is also very good, nice mix of dungeon bashing, wilderness and intrigue, with a place that small enough for the players to be important, but close by to bigger challenges as well

Doom of Daggerdale and The Sword of the Dales are also nice starters and can be combined quite easily to make a good mini-campaign together

of the three Schend undermountain ones, The Lost Level is th best, I find Maddgoths Castle an interesting concept but it doesn't 'work' for me, I don't know why exactly, however Hellgate Keeper is an absolute GEM and needs to be incorporated into every campaign. Again choked full of Lore and NPC's and a dungeon bash and politics, extremely well done by SES.

Ones to miss
The Marco Volo trilogy, I cannot find words to say how rubbish they are and how dissapointed I am that I bought 2 and 3 after I got 1 and was amazed how shockingly crap it was. (I can only say I was completeing my collection, not that I am fanboy or anything!). Written by Anthony Pryor who I don't recall every producing anything else for the Realms? (thankfully)

Hordes of Dragonspear - why?? what did it do exactly? (this Bill Connors work IIRC? he should have stuck to Ravenloft). Another 32 pager that was waste of print.

Jungles of Chult: I was really looking forward to this one and then it was poor, nothing special or exciting or Realmsian, just another generic module that that slapped FR on the front hoping it would sell (and written by what I would call another non FR person - Jean Rabe - it read like the usual RPGA adventure).

Cheers

Damian

I agree completely with everything you said, except that I personally like 'Shadowdale' as much as 'Tantras' -- both of them have great maps, encounters, NPCs, adventure ideas and so much juicy Realmslore. Indeed, although I ran 'Shadowdale' "as is" to my players, I still had a lot of stuff left to plunder for other campaigns.

I even asked Ed and Rich if there was any possibility of an updated 'Haunted Halls' 3E module, but no such luck. If TSR had had enough guts to go for Ed's original vision of a complete campaign module, in my opinion it would have probably been the best (and most detailed) D&D/AD&D adventure/campaign ever released.

'Halls of the High King' is a prime example of Ed's genius and talent as a DM. And I also remember reading the two modules published in the Ol' Grey Boxed Set, thinking that "Now *this* is how we all should be writing our adventures". Ed has had a lot of influence on my DMing style.

If WoTC had any sense at all, they would have hired Ed to write the first 4E FR adventure. Not only would it have "eased" the "pain of transition" for some, but it most certainly would have piqued the curiosity of most 'nay-sayers' (myself included) to take another look at 4E FR.

EDIT: I wished to add that I also like the 'Lost Level' a lot, both as a player and a DM. And I just want to mention Eric Boyd's fantastic adventures published in the 'Dungeon Magazine' -- all of them contain good maps, great villains and NPCs, juicy lore and intriguing plots (*buy* those issues if you don't already own them!).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm

Edited by - Asgetrion on 02 Feb 2008 16:52:25
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  16:49:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I love the "Fortune Cookie Philosophy" page of that one.

I think that adventure is the first one that got me, as a DM, to really, really ham it up as an NPC. I loved throwing those phrases out to the players, and I actually did it as a reflex for months after I had run the adventure.
Go to Top of Page

Shilo99
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  11:50:31  Show Profile  Visit Shilo99's Homepage Send Shilo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pretty much agree with crazedventurers & Asgetrion on their best & dislikes. (Note I have only ever DM’d these published FR adventurers, never been a player in one, more’s the pity, except for Desert of Desolation, as the I-series before it was transported to the Reams).

I really liked the adventure skeleton that is Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. So palpably Forgotten Realms. Excellent, although you still have to put in a lot of work yourself as DM.

I’ve heard great things about both Halls of the High King & Mad Monkey versus Dragon Claw, but have neither played nor read them thoroughly.

Reinforcing Asgetrion’s remark, I used so many of the hooks & encounters from Shadowdale in other adventurers that I have a great soft spot for it. Likewise with Ruins of Undermountain (never ran or played the full adventure, but poached many encounters, NPCs, monsters and items from it).

I also poached a couple of the adventurers from Ruins of Myth Drannor, which worked well (in the Vast IIRC).

And don’t forget all the little adventurers and hooks from the accessories, especially the FR series…grows misty-eyed at the memories…
S
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  04:38:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never ran Shadowdale, but when I read the encounter with the paladin of Helm, and about the solars rallying Helm's paladins, and even the version of Mystra's death at Helm's hand presented in that adventure, I got a very different picture of Helm than I did from the novels, and it made a big impression on me. I got the impression that Helm isn't intolerant or rigid so much as kind of sad because he knows what needs to be done, and will do it no matter what, and that he might do what needs to be done even when he wouldn't require it of his mortal servants.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 04 Feb 2008 04:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  06:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal favorite is The Sunken Citadel. Because it's easy to run, it's a great dungeon to introduce new players and groom their expectations of the game, and it incorporates a little of everything necessary to play.
Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  14:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halls of the High King is killer - all of Greenwood's lore in that adventure make it a must-have for anyone's FR collection.

I also had a lot of fun running Sean K. Reynolds' Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor; flawed, but fun for what it was. It was the first published FR adventure I ran for Third Edition.

I'm currently running Shadowdale: The Tearing of the Weave, and it's great. There are some serious problems if run as written (for instance, the amnizu devils in Castle Krag - their tactics say they pepper the party with fireballs, but evocation spells and effects are fully negated in that section of the adventure), but a careful DM can fix these problems with a thorough read-though and re-read-through before playing, and paying attention to the details. I love all the lore in the module, and the way that so many FR subplots are tied together and resolved.

I'm looking forward to completing Shadowdale and moving on to Anauroch.

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing

Edited by - Drunken Master on 04 Feb 2008 14:40:26
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  20:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting to hear how the ToT modules are apparently NOT merely silly, shallow tie-ins for a so-so novel trilogy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Feb 2008 20:13:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  20:28:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It's interesting to hear how the ToT modules are apparently NOT merely silly, shallow tie-ins for a so-so novel trilogy.

From what I understand, though, the bulk of the adventure is just following around the characters from the trilogy. I've not read them myself, but I've heard many unflattering comments; most focused on the PCs having nothing to do and being railroaded into doing it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  20:49:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
From what I understand, though, the bulk of the adventure is just following around the characters from the trilogy. I've not read them myself, but I've heard many unflattering comments; most focused on the PCs having nothing to do and being railroaded into doing it.

no different to most published modules except the railroading isn't very subtle.

For Rin some highlights of the modules from memory (its been 17/18 years since I ran them)

Lots of lore and NPC's from Ed and plots as well
The doppelganger plot
The exploding crystal balls plot
The Wizard of Power on the Height in the Stonelands
Yeven's Pool
Scardale
Tantras and the Temple of Torm (LOADS of info)
Blackoaks vilage (gray oaks?)
Myrkuls Riders

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 04 Feb 2008 20:57:35
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  23:49:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, as the others have said, I don't want to misrepresent the adventures. They are pretty heavy handed "protect the real heroes and follow this path" kind of adventures, but, in contrast to the novels, the context of what is going on in the Realms is worth checking out. Kind of like the Shadows of the Avatar novels, Ed managed to spin some of the Time of Troubles into being more "Realmsian" than they otherwise would have been.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2008 :  00:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, as the others have said, I don't want to misrepresent the adventures. They are pretty heavy handed "protect the real heroes and follow this path" kind of adventures, but, in contrast to the novels, the context of what is going on in the Realms is worth checking out.

Thank you and the others for the clarification and comments. Yes, having the PCs be "tagalongs" sounds annoying, and I would argue that it's a bad way to design an adventure.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Shilo99
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  14:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Shilo99's Homepage Send Shilo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Another voice to back up what crazedventurers & KnightErrantJR have said:
As the series progresses they become more linear in style (personally I think this is OK as the series rushes to its climax).

However, none of the modules necessarily needs to be played that way, and certainly the first two have plenty of side-treks and unrelated encounters included.

That is the great thing about Ed's work, especially from 1e (refer also to Halls of the High King and Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, and Ruins of Undermountain): a literal swarm of FR lore and side encounters and interesting NPCs doing ‘Realmsy’ things liking keeping an eye out for so-and-so, leaving a scrawled message for such-and-such and, of course, harping by a campfire at night!

P.S. My dying wish will be 10,000 pages from Ed of rumours like those contained in these adventures, and FR13 Anauroch and the big daddy list of the Old Grey Box…that’s all a FR DM can ever need!
Shilo
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  22:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you and the others for the clarification and comments. Yes, having the PCs be "tagalongs" sounds annoying, and I would argue that it's a bad way to design an adventure.

Oh, I agree. When I ran 'Shadowdale', some of my players had already read the novels and were completely aware of their role (and that of the NPCs) in the big scheme of things (I'm just glad that they didn't try to eliminate Cyric or Midnight or anything like that). Still, in the end it worked pretty well, as the modules are not completely "faithful" to the novels.

As I have already said, I've used many ideas and NPCs from these modules -- I think I actually expanded three or four adventure ideas into full-length adventures (maybe it's because Ed's writing style and ideas are really inspirational )

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  23:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Ed had a hand in those adventures, that certainly isn't a bad thing!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  15:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to thank everyone for their kind words on my Lost Level and Hellgate Keep. Warms me heart, it does.

That said, I'll throw in my vote for the Ruins of Undermountain box as the most long-lived and most-replayed adventure that we ever produced for TSR. It was my first time working with Ed, and lemme tell you, being his editor was both terrifying (not wanting to offend his Beardedness, whom I only got to know via phone calls--I called him friend long before I ever met him face to face) and hilariously fun (oh, the stories....).

And I remember when at least one of the Grey Box adventures appeared in Dragon Magazine--I too thought "THIS is how adventures ought to be written..."

Lastly, Alaundo's mildly cheating by placing "Treasure Hunt" as an FR module. It's a 1st Edition module set in the Korrinn Archipelago, which did get attached to the Realms, though the module does not carry the FR logo (as it predates the Grey Box release by months). Still, who can blame him? It's shelved along with my FR products too.

Me, I'm just kinda bummed I never got to do an adventure or two down Tethyr-way....as it would have been interesting to send PCs after Reclamation War criminals on the run (including the sole survivor of The Four) or perhaps even playing out the Reclamation War itself (though I'd resist that as you know how it turns out and you don't get to be the stars at the center of it all). Heck, if given the chance, I'd love to do Shoonach properly.....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  15:53:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Heck, if given the chance, I'd love to do Shoonach properly.....
Steven

HASBRO: GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!

(ahem)

Sorry for shouting

I agree with you Steven, when I got the OGBS and saw the two adventures in there I was very impressed. Thought out dungeons, with appropraite rooms and monsters and treasure and a feeling of 'being there' when I ran them describing what was there and knowing as a DM how things interacted with each other.

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  16:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran the Avatar adventures and that was lots of fun....other than that I am currently running the new Undermountain adventure, which is going pretty good so far. Haven't run any of the other ones yet unfortunately.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  16:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would like to add that I plan on running "How the Mighty are Fallen" eventually (for numerous obvious reasons, the Tarrasque being one, and the whole Fall of Netheril being shown to my group another)

I would of course adapt it to 3.5 (NOT 4E)

Oh and the aforementioned Avatar adventures I had adapted to 3.5 I will always remember when my brother's character charged Myrkul on top of Blackstaff Tower and decapitated him with two natural 20s and a confirmed auto kill roll.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  22:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Would like to add that I plan on running "How the Mighty are Fallen" eventually (for numerous obvious reasons, the Tarrasque being one, and the whole Fall of Netheril being shown to my group another)

I would of course adapt it to 3.5 (NOT 4E)

Oh and the aforementioned Avatar adventures I had adapted to 3.5 I will always remember when my brother's character charged Myrkul on top of Blackstaff Tower and decapitated him with two natural 20s and a confirmed auto kill roll.

Ew. Nasty.

So when does the Crown of Horns pop onto his head to exact Myrkul's revenge?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  12:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Ew. Nasty.

So when does the Crown of Horns pop onto his head to exact Myrkul's revenge?

Haha, great idea. I hadn't run that mini-campaign in awhile (partly due to not having any ideas for it)...but this one is just too good to pass up. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  15:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to add that it is an honor to be receiving such advice from the author of a novel I am CURRENTLY reading (Blackstaff). Thanks Mr.Schend!

Go to Top of Page

Amluril Dire-Weaselbane
Acolyte

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2008 :  11:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Amluril Dire-Weaselbane's Homepage Send Amluril Dire-Weaselbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually liked the Adventure from the 2e Spellbound boxed set that chronicled the atempted thayan invasion of Rashemen, and a dungeon crawl into the citadel in Thay to battle the demon lord Eltab whilst fighting alongside Zsass Tamm, made a whole campaign out of that one, especially when Zsass Tamm used finger of death to kill one of the group's loved ones during the fight.

WOTC seemed to have poo-pooed the whole adventure now though, instead Eltab much much more powerful and seems to have nothing to do with events in Thay at all.

I thought City of the Spider Queen was quite a good one, although updating to 3.5 (I hate you WOTC!) has made it hard work!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000