Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A New Race: The Dyarak
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fhaorn quessir
Seeker

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  04:47:07  Show Profile  Visit Fhaorn quessir's Homepage Send Fhaorn quessir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am starting to create a new race, the name is evident in the title.
I will be posting further information up on this topic as I go. I will greatly appreciate any help and/or constructive criticism recieved.

Regards,
Fhaorn'quessir.

First some of the background I've started on:

"After journeying through the cold, flat ground of the High Ice for weeks you are weary and cold. Looking for a place to camp for the night, you spot a cluster of figures approaching you. As the figures come close enough, you determine they are humanoid. They are stocky and covered head to toe in fur ranging from black-brown through lighter shades of shades of whiteish-brown. There are are horns protruding from the head and tusks out of under the lips. Beady black, beady eyes peer at you. Most of them only wear lioncloths, odd for such a cold climate. All of them carry weapons. Many weild large mauls engraved with blue glowing runes, waraxes similar to those of the Dwarves you saw at Mirabar, and long, sharpened wooden poles fixed with two curved blades at the ends. You brace yourself for an attack from the grunting humanoids. One of them raises a bow, pulls back the string, and lets loose an arrow. The arrow flies true and catches you in the space under your pauldron. You feel your blood running cold, your skin tungles and goes numb, and you fall to the ground. The furry creatures crowd around and stand over you. A robed figure of the same features as the others walks toward you. "What has brought you to Dyarak land?" ,the robed one grunts out in a laboured, rumbling, common.

Dyarak

The Dyarak are a humanoid race with the cold subtype. They reside far North in the frozen wastes of the High Ice. The majority are nomadic and roam the High Ice in search of food. They have established some cities consisting of fur-made tents and huts, and (DM only info) some undergound communities not known to other races.
They sometimes navigate the desert of ice on sleds and floating "ice barges"- which I will detail ASAP. They favor light armour, but are not afraid of metal armor, due to their immunity to cold. They normally weild waraxes (with the same stats as the dwarven ones), Bakyas (the long poles fixed with double blades, which also will be detailed later), and mauls (as the ones in the Arms and Equipment Guide). I am working hard at producing more information on this race and am hoping for advice and input from others.

I have a little bit of concept art for the Dyarak up on my Deviantart page, the link is shown below in my sig.

Wander ye all to my humble gallery of art of the Realms, Ye'll find it right next to the Sly Wink Alehouse in Sumberton. Or at this page: http://goldendwarf.deviantart.com/

Fhaorn quessir
Seeker

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  05:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Fhaorn quessir's Homepage Send Fhaorn quessir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are my oh-so-amateur stats. Please correct me on any mistakes made. And also I need to figure out a level adjustment for Dyarak chars.

Dyarak. medium humanoid (cold)

+2 strength, -2 dexterity, +2 wisdom, -4 charisma.

Strong and wize, but slow to act. They are an odd sight and found unnatractive by other races.

base land speed- 30 feet
darkvision up to 60 feet
+2 racial bonus on all saving throws.
spell like abilities- Tenser's Floating Disk- as a fifth level sorcerer 1/day.
+4 natural armor bonus.
Immune to cold, vulnerable to fire.

Now working on proofing this info, developing more RP info, society stuff, age/weight/height tables etc.

Regards,
Fhaorn'quessir

Wander ye all to my humble gallery of art of the Realms, Ye'll find it right next to the Sly Wink Alehouse in Sumberton. Or at this page: http://goldendwarf.deviantart.com/

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  17:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fhaorn quessir

Here are my oh-so-amateur stats. Please correct me on any mistakes made. And also I need to figure out a level adjustment for Dyarak chars.

Dyarak. medium humanoid (cold)

+2 strength, -2 dexterity, +2 wisdom, -4 charisma.

Strong and wize, but slow to act. They are an odd sight and found unnatractive by other races.

base land speed- 30 feet
darkvision up to 60 feet
+2 racial bonus on all saving throws.
spell like abilities- Tenser's Floating Disk- as a fifth level sorcerer 1/day.
+4 natural armor bonus.
Immune to cold, vulnerable to fire.

Now working on proofing this info, developing more RP info, society stuff, age/weight/height tables etc.

Regards,
Fhaorn'quessir

I would give it somewhere between a +2 and a +3 Level Adjustment (LA), and I am kinda leaning toward a +2.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  17:34:33  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
might want to give them a racial bonus on balance since they have a racial penalty to dex, for those ice patches. the frostburn book has a cool trait(name elludes me) that allows full speed movement on ice.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Fhaorn quessir
Seeker

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  23:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Fhaorn quessir's Homepage Send Fhaorn quessir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the input. I will maybe give them a plus four to balance, as you suggested. I think I will just make a trait that has the same funtion, since I dont want to buy wait a month to order the book in. Any suggestions for the prereqs?

Go to Top of Page

Altai la Ibn-Ahad
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2008 :  05:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Altai la Ibn-Ahad's Homepage Send Altai la Ibn-Ahad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bah i wouldnt give it a level adjustment maybe +1 but that would be it considering the downsides but the natural armour and abilities would counter act that am i ciorrect??but i still think a +1 would be in action.

sincerely
Altiar

Two little goblins,out in the sun.Down came a griffin,and then there was one.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2008 :  17:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LA:+1

they have a +2 on all saving throws

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Altai la Ibn-Ahad
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  02:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Altai la Ibn-Ahad's Homepage Send Altai la Ibn-Ahad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ya well actually if u were to make a 2nd lvl paladin/palidin ud find that the grace thing does have a +2 on saving throws last time i checked.But wut eva

Two little goblins,out in the sun.Down came a griffin,and then there was one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000