Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 2nd Sundering musings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2017 :  23:43:51  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no, I don't feel deterred! I do love this stuff. I just don't think I have any more to add from my deterministic perspective. I'll still pop my head in now and again haha

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  00:04:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol all right.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  05:15:48  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Important to not fall down the rabbit hole of determinism = nothing matters, evrrything is fated. The roles of people and things in events are still incredibly important, even if things are determined by the past - that's a key difference between determinism and fatalism. The absence of free-will does not mean "nothing matters", though admittedly if the concept of free-will is important to you then that can be a hard boulder to move around. I highly recommend any philosophical textbook on the issue of free-will - always a great read! That said, I'll move on from this thread now and leave it to you good "free-willers"!

Since we are laying our cards on the table, I should make clear for the purposes of the discussion that in real life I am a hard determinist, because of cause and effect and all that.

I am not making my arguments out of any sort of philosophical point of view, but rather from a what-is-good-for-the-story point of view. I am also arguing from a point of view of internal world consistency. From the point of view of internal world consistency, the world appears to be fiercely fatalistic--as in, things are fated to play out in a certain way. No matter what happens, it was fated to happen exactly as it happened.

This creates the problem you brought up:
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Also, saying that the Elven Sundering caused the other two Sunderings takes all the agency out of the rest of the stories.

It's the issue of agency--the feeling as if someone's actions actually mattered or made a difference. It is one of the reasons tropes like, "it was all just a dream!" At the end of a story anger people, myself included. It makes us feel angry because it makes us feel as if the story is a waste of time, that the events did not really matter.

How things are in the real world does not matter, because what is true in reality may actually suck for a story. "You have no agency, and everything that happened always was fated to happen!" Sucks for the story.

I mean, this is such a serious issue that it starts to bleed over into other things. "Oh, it's not his fault that he murders and rapes children, that was just his fate! He can't really be evil because for him to be evil his actions would have to be freely chosen." "We should not worry about redeeming this guy over here, because he was fated to be evil--we should just kill him instead. This is his fate." "What? It's not our fault he dies. He was fated to die by our hand." Yeah, that makes a bad story.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  07:48:50  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just posting to say I have no intention of, or interest in, debating you about the merits of determinism in FR or elsewhere. If you would be so kind as to leave me alone, that would be grand.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000