Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Waterdeep: Dragon Heist & Dungeon of the Mad Mage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2927 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  06:04:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Halaster didn't blow himself. The Twisted Rune interfered with his spell to prevent the Spellplague at the end of 3e. Yeah, that crap was WotC's version of his death.

Yup. Because Halaster somehow foresaw the Spellplague, even though the gods didn't.

To be fair to them, they didn't specifically mention the Spellplague. However, for me, who got into D&D when 5e was announced, given the time when 3e Undermountain was released, it was pretty obvious that they were referring to the Spellplague, and that the idea of the Spellplague had already been vetted before the release of that book. And yes, that doesn't make sense.

(On a side note, Mystra did foresee the Spellplague, according to Ed's latest books. It's just that things didn't go as intended. The contingencies that she had prepared saved her, tho, and other deities alongside her).

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Jun 2018 06:05:47
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  17:04:14  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

It's overpriced as hell IMHO. 450 $ for a bunch of accessories?

Ridiculous over reach by WotC if that's the correct price.

-- George Krashos

Agreed that it's expensive overreach at that price. But I don't care as long as the basic $49 book has essentially the same content, the same map(s), even if its not "premium map material".

One thing that comes to my mind about this "luxury version": 5th Edition is possibly the first D&D version that has attracted BOATLOADS OF FILTHY RICH CELEBRITIES that openly play and openly admit their love for D&D 5E. So in retrospect, maybe these "deluxe editions" are simply meant for them?

Do you folks realize that mega-rich and mega-successful Hollywood celebrities like Vin Diesel are making YouTube (or streaming) videos of themselves nerdilly playing D&D 5th Edition? That's an up-ticking trend.

In the end…. I see one good outcome. D&D might become a cash-rich brand franchise once again, because of the influx of players who happen to be rich recognizable celebrities and millionaires, etc. And that might mean that WoTC/Hasbro might (in the near future) be able to afford things that we only dreamed of: like a well-funded and well-researched Forgotten Realms Guide, etc. But maybe I'm the only one on these forums that thinks optimistically like this.

YouTube link (D&D with Vin Diesel and Matt Mercer, etc)

https://youtu.be/yLEMb_RIZ3o
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  17:45:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of those celebrities have been playing since at least 3E, and were open about it then -- including Vin Diesel, who has been talking about being a D&D player at least since this book was published in 2004 -- before they were even working on 4E.

And even by that time, it was well-known that Robin Williams was a gamer. I recall hearing about him fielding an ork army for 40k (or maybe WH Fantasy), and while playing he was doing voices for his minis!

The change is that D&D is more mainstream than it ever was before, thanks in no small part to the rise of MMOs, the success of the Lord of the Rings movies, and the success of the Game of Thrones show.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Jun 2018 17:47:02
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
234 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  00:10:41  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds so promising! Gods I hope they can deliver! Looking forward to these two books!

"Show some respect!" the draegloth thundered. "You adress High Priestess Quenthel Baenre, Mistress of Arach-Tinilith, Mistress of the Academy, Mistress of Tier Breche, First Sister of House Baenre of Menzoberranzan... you insolent dog!"
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

274 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  03:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If their target market is the filthy rich they might as well have added another 0 to the end and made the items out of precious metals or had all the items forged by some smith of great renown. But maybe it is for the "celebrity" podcasters, the ones who will be showing how cool this "game" is on the youtubes?

I fear this surge in popularity is not what is best for the game in the long run. In today's 1 minute of fame society what is hot today is forgotten tomorrow. If a thing is over produced or overpriced, the market crash when the popularity bubble bursts could drive it into non-existence, a sad day for us long time gamers.

If I were super rich and had money to burn, forget buying "Platinum" box sets. How about funding someone like Ed and other great Realms writers so they could interact and game with us freely without the burdens of bills. Or better yet buy the FR license for whatever ridiculous sum and get a Realms more to Ed's original, with all the fun crazy things his wicked mind could imagine.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2978 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  15:22:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/04/dungeons-and-dragons-fifth-edition-campaign-settings/

More settings next year...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  18:28:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/04/dungeons-and-dragons-fifth-edition-campaign-settings/

Hm. Even though they've mentioned Spelljammer, my money is on Greyhawk and Dark Sun. As much as I myself love the Spelljammer -- my username comes from there! -- I recognize that there were issues with the way the setting was presented and it was not the most popular of TSR's many settings.

Now if they surprise me and go for Spelljammer, I'll be the first in line to buy that book -- I am a Realms junkie, now, but Spelljammer was my first love of D&D settings.

Honestly, though, I'm surprised they've not gone back to the well with Greyhawk, yet. It's one of the oldest D&D settings* and I'd wager to say it's got more fans than the Realms does.

*(I think Blackmoor is older)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7062 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  20:02:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

so maybe Dark Sun and spelljammer? Can't say I'm enthused by dark sun, but I know plenty liked it. Spelljammer however, it always had untapped potential. I won't say I ever played it however, because at the time I didn't have the money for the numerous systems TSR was rolling out left and right. My knowledge of spelljammer has been the most basic, with more information learned in the last 5 years than ever before.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  21:33:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

so maybe Dark Sun and spelljammer? Can't say I'm enthused by dark sun, but I know plenty liked it. Spelljammer however, it always had untapped potential. I won't say I ever played it however, because at the time I didn't have the money for the numerous systems TSR was rolling out left and right. My knowledge of spelljammer has been the most basic, with more information learned in the last 5 years than ever before.

Spelljammer is the only setting that I've gotten every single product for. Even for the Realms, I've disregarded some novels and ignored the Maztica stuff. (Though in both cases, I've built my collection twice. And my collection of Planescape stuff is pretty much as close to complete as can be reasonably expected)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7062 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  23:07:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to Planescape... the contradictions between the editions are so enormous (or at least they seem that way to me). Maybe 5e will make the difference that sticks.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  02:17:10  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could easily see them folding Spelljammer a bit into Planescape, giving us Spelljammer light -- some basic rules about the ships and spheres without really developing the "setting" as it were while opening the floodgates on DM's Guild.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
182 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  11:22:18  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I could easily see them folding Spelljammer a bit into Planescape, giving us Spelljammer light -- some basic rules about the ships and spheres without really developing the "setting" as it were while opening the floodgates on DM's Guild.

And Chris Perkins just teased that Halaster will have something spelljamming in Dungeon of the Mad Mage...
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

274 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  16:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

quote:

And Chris Perkins just teased that Halaster will have something spelljamming in Dungeon of the Mad Mage...

Just take my money already.

I've always loved how Spelljamming is teased (and just blatantly there) all over the Realms material. Makes it always seem like there is more secrets to unveil.

Edited by - Gelcur on 05 Jun 2018 16:02:52
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
83 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  19:34:14  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here I was looking at the features included in the platinum box, then I notice the price tag... O_O

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7062 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  23:28:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

quote:

Probably took it from stardock.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

682 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2018 :  23:20:08  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Halaster didn't blow himself. The Twisted Rune interfered with his spell to prevent the Spellplague at the end of 3e. Yeah, that crap was WotC's version of his death.

Yup. Because Halaster somehow foresaw the Spellplague, even though the gods didn't.

Since when were the gods of the Realms the infallible all-seeing type of gods?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2018 :  23:55:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

quote:

Since when were the gods of the Realms the infallible all-seeing type of gods?

Who said anything about infallible or all-seeing?

What I question is how a mortal can see what's going to happen to the gods, when those gods -- especially the god of divination -- are blind to what's coming.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Jun 2018 23:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1061 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2018 :  00:52:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
iirc, Halaster survived the Spellplague thanks to his clones. I have to read that dragon article again...

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

274 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2018 :  05:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I think I missed that dragon article. Link? Or magazine number?

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1061 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2018 :  07:19:45  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon 409, the article is named "Character Themes: Citizens of Splendor".

The article doesn't say what happened to Halaster, just that his essence scattered throughout the planes, and he could not return to one of his clones before the Spellplague. The Spellplague struck and Halaster was reduced to a consciousness within his clones. Most of the clones were altered as well (the clones have their own will now, and can be of any race and sex).

His clones are awake and active in the current year (one or more players can be a Halaster clone) and perhaps one of them is Halaster himself.

Well, we know Halaster has returned, so...

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 07 Jun 2018 07:26:34
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7062 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2018 :  22:40:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4 people meet
I'm Halaster...
No, I'm Halaster...
No, I'm the REAL Halaster...
Um, I'm Manshoon

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  07:19:53  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed - TOOO SIMILAR TO THE MANSHOON WARS. Come up with an original plot please :)

Also, since when does Halaster have multiple clones waiting? He used projection magic to be in multiple places at once.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  16:32:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Agreed - TOOO SIMILAR TO THE MANSHOON WARS. Come up with an original plot please :)

Also, since when does Halaster have multiple clones waiting? He used projection magic to be in multiple places at once.

I don't have an issue with Halaster having clones, myself, but the way WotC handled it is just wrong. Clones that aren't the same race or gender? No, just no.

What I would have done, given what they did to Halaster in 3E (which I also disagreed with): they said that his soul basically fractured... So those new "Halaster clones" aren't really clones, they're shards of his soul that bonded to other souls, and/or were reborn. So these "Halaster clones" aren't copies of Halaster, but they might have some (not all!) of his memories or skills. One clone, for example, might not know how to create portals or even cast spells, but you put him in front of a portal and he can tell you how to activate it or where it goes.

And some of the soulshards stayed in Undermountain, and eventually drifted back to Halaster's actual prepared clone, awakening it and bringing back the Mad Mage.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Jun 2018 16:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
193 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2018 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problems with Halaster having clones (even The Ruins of Undermountain Campaign Guide on pg.106 already says that he probably stored clones of himself) even gender and racial changed ones (who knows what he transformed his body into when he created a clone, he is the Mad Mage after all). And being a clone 'kid'/ pc hero of Halaster bears probably as many problems as merits, now that 'Daddy' is home again.

I'm wondering if they will work in the changes brought about by the Spellplague (like the Walking Statues all over the City, or new locations mentioned in the novels). It would be sad if they presented a book that states something like "Everthing is back to Pre-Spellplague."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5125 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2018 :  12:42:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed wrote a post-Spellplague Waterdeep “bible” for WotC for the Ed Greenwood Presents ... novel series. I’m assuming that forms the basis of this product.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000