Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Waterdeep: Dragon Heist & Dungeon of the Mad Mage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  02:54:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The new adventure has been unveiled. Is going to be in Waterdeep (because we sure love the Sword Coast)

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/06/01/dungeons-and-dragons-newest-storyline-waterdeep-dragon-heist-revealed

Mod edit: Renaming this scroll.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Jun 2018 18:17:07

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  03:05:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, at least the world's not exploding for the 743668734th time. That aside, the Sword Coast has been overdone, true, but I'm a huge Waterdeep fan, I loved Death Masks (current time Waterdeep), and Ed seems to be involved in this, so I'll keep an eye on it.

I only hope it won't end like the MToF. I was so excited for that book, and it ended up being an immense letdown. I hope they don't warp Waterdeep.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Jun 2018 03:06:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  03:12:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep? That's all I need to hear! For the first time in a while, I'm looking forward to a WotC release.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  03:38:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw this on Hatebook.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 02 Jun 2018 03:39:14
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  04:46:55  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Irennan and Wooly. I love Waterdeep, and this is the first 5e adventure that I'm genuinely excited about.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  04:51:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlwlv63LGN4

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  05:01:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might actually buy this.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  05:13:49  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently it's going to include a giant detailed map of current age Waterdeep. :D
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  10:10:30  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the blessed coin of Waukeen, finally a giant map for the 15th century Waterdeep!

If they provide ample DM-tools to run a riveting city adventure this might be worth its price for once.

Do they provide details for Skullport as well?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  12:25:54  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo gives us a deed to a property eh? You know it's stolen right? It's gotta be stolen with that weasel!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  12:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we know if the adventure comes with the map of the city, or is that something exclusive to the platinum edition that I'll not be able to get?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  17:57:27  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many hit points does Volo have? My Mind Flayer assassin-bard would love to hit him up.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  18:08:14  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Do we know if the adventure comes with the map of the city, or is that something exclusive to the platinum edition that I'll not be able to get?

The way that they were talking about it during the stream made it sound like the map will come with the basic book. That platinum edition is pretty crazy though, is that the first one that they've made for 5e? I'd guess it just contains bonus maps and stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  18:12:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's overpriced as hell IMHO. 450 $ for a bunch of accessories?

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2018 :  21:05:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Manshoon will be one of the possible villains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP2UjAvWgFg&feature=push-u&attr_tag=QX0o5hmE9mKLe_0d-6

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  03:31:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Undermountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbVRQIOuI8s Also, Halaster is back

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  03:40:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Ridiculous over reach by WotC if that's the correct price.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  04:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

Agreed. That price is more than a bit much.

Interesting development on Halaster.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  04:34:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just watched the Undermountain video, they're going to cover levels 1 to 20 of Undermountain! I seem to remember THO saying at one time Ed was working on something in the Realms, would this be it? I can't think of a better guy to let loose for a full treatment. Maps of every level...drool!

Edited by - Eilserus on 03 Jun 2018 04:34:33
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  05:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could we get a rename of the subject of this scroll? Something like "Waterdeep: Dragon Heist & Dungeon of the Mad Mage".

I think I'll be buying both these products. I really hope Ed had his hands in them. The maps alone will be welcome. Please please please can we get the correct map of the Yawning Portal I think the correct map has only been printed once. Also Halaster is back? Did we know this?

The idea of an upscale version of the module, where I don't have to draw maps, comes with awesome minis, and high quality art and handouts, is a good idea. Hell I'd pay a good bit for all the levels of UM mapped out. But I can't say I would spend that much. Depending on the quality and quantity of the content I could see paying $100-$200. The other lame thing is the limited supplies, they are basically trying to force our hand by saying if you don't buy now, without knowing exactly what you will get, you won't have the option later.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 03 Jun 2018 05:25:30
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  05:22:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Just watched the Undermountain video, they're going to cover levels 1 to 20 of Undermountain! I seem to remember THO saying at one time Ed was working on something in the Realms, would this be it? I can't think of a better guy to let loose for a full treatment. Maps of every level...drool!

1 or 2 years ago, I asked him about the Promenade. He said that it had been stealthily retaken, and that A LOT of stuff was going on down there (as in UM), but he couldn't talk. I guess that this is what he was referring to.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Jun 2018 05:23:18
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  05:25:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The video has some interesting info on why Halaster is bonkers. I wonder if him creating new levels expands the radius of his immortality in Undermountain. Keep building to roam longer distances for longer times etc. Yep, Mike Schley maps for Undermountain will be gorgeous.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  05:35:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope so. Maybe Halaster blew himself up trying to fix this "Weave hiccup" before the Spellplague hit.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  05:36:32  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster didn't blow himself. The Twisted Rune interfered with his spell to prevent the Spellplague at the end of 3e. Yeah, that crap was WotC's version of his death.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Jun 2018 05:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  05:44:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Halaster didn't blow himself. The Twisted Rune interfered with his spell to prevent the Spellplague at the end of 3e. Yeah, that crap was WotC's version of his death.

Yup. Because Halaster somehow foresaw the Spellplague, even though the gods didn't.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  06:01:37  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah oops, I forgot about that Twisted Rune part!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  06:04:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yup. Because Halaster somehow foresaw the Spellplague, even though the gods didn't.

To be fair to them, they didn't specifically mention the Spellplague. However, for me, who got into D&D when 5e was announced, given the time when 3e Undermountain was released, it was pretty obvious that they were referring to the Spellplague, and that the idea of the Spellplague had already been vetted before the release of that book. And yes, that doesn't make sense.

(On a side note, Mystra did foresee the Spellplague, according to Ed's latest books. It's just that things didn't go as intended. The contingencies that she had prepared saved her, tho, and other deities alongside her).

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Jun 2018 06:05:47
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  17:04:14  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

Agreed that it's expensive overreach at that price. But I don't care as long as the basic $49 book has essentially the same content, the same map(s), even if its not "premium map material".

One thing that comes to my mind about this "luxury version": 5th Edition is possibly the first D&D version that has attracted BOATLOADS OF FILTHY RICH CELEBRITIES that openly play and openly admit their love for D&D 5E. So in retrospect, maybe these "deluxe editions" are simply meant for them?

Do you folks realize that mega-rich and mega-successful Hollywood celebrities like Vin Diesel are making YouTube (or streaming) videos of themselves nerdilly playing D&D 5th Edition? That's an up-ticking trend.

In the end…. I see one good outcome. D&D might become a cash-rich brand franchise once again, because of the influx of players who happen to be rich recognizable celebrities and millionaires, etc. And that might mean that WoTC/Hasbro might (in the near future) be able to afford things that we only dreamed of: like a well-funded and well-researched Forgotten Realms Guide, etc. But maybe I'm the only one on these forums that thinks optimistically like this.

YouTube link (D&D with Vin Diesel and Matt Mercer, etc)

https://youtu.be/yLEMb_RIZ3o
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  17:45:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of those celebrities have been playing since at least 3E, and were open about it then -- including Vin Diesel, who has been talking about being a D&D player at least since this book was published in 2004 -- before they were even working on 4E.

And even by that time, it was well-known that Robin Williams was a gamer. I recall hearing about him fielding an ork army for 40k (or maybe WH Fantasy), and while playing he was doing voices for his minis!

The change is that D&D is more mainstream than it ever was before, thanks in no small part to the rise of MMOs, the success of the Lord of the Rings movies, and the success of the Game of Thrones show.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Jun 2018 17:47:02
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  00:10:41  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds so promising! Gods I hope they can deliver! Looking forward to these two books!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  03:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If their target market is the filthy rich they might as well have added another 0 to the end and made the items out of precious metals or had all the items forged by some smith of great renown. But maybe it is for the "celebrity" podcasters, the ones who will be showing how cool this "game" is on the youtubes?

I fear this surge in popularity is not what is best for the game in the long run. In today's 1 minute of fame society what is hot today is forgotten tomorrow. If a thing is over produced or overpriced, the market crash when the popularity bubble bursts could drive it into non-existence, a sad day for us long time gamers.

If I were super rich and had money to burn, forget buying "Platinum" box sets. How about funding someone like Ed and other great Realms writers so they could interact and game with us freely without the burdens of bills. Or better yet buy the FR license for whatever ridiculous sum and get a Realms more to Ed's original, with all the fun crazy things his wicked mind could imagine.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000