Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Beholderkin Examiner
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2020 :  19:36:48  Show Profile  Send Cbad285 an AOL message  Send Cbad285 a Yahoo! Message Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Beholderkin Examiner from 2nd edition was one of my favorite monsters. When I started to try and convert my NPC 'Xiggy' over to 5E I found that there wasn't a whole lot out there on the creature. So of course when I was done I had to post it here to save someone else the legwork. So here you go!


Examiner
Small aberration, Lawful Nuetral
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 52 (8d6 + 24)
Speed ft., fly 30 ft.
STR
9 (-1)


DEX
12 (+1)


CON
16 (+3)


INT
19 (+4)


WIS
15 (+2)


CHA
15 (+2)

Saving Throws Int +8, Wis +6, Cha +6
Skills Arcana +8, Investigation +8, Perception +6
Damage Resistances magic
Condition Immunities prone
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Dwarvish, Undercommon
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)
Regeneration. The beholder regains 10 hit points at the
start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point.
Innate Spellcasting. The beholder’s spellcasting ability is
Intelligence (spell save DC 15). It can innately cast the
following spells, requiring no components:
At will: enlarge/reduce, transmute shape*, blur
3/day each: darkness, counterspell
*similar to a stone shape spell, but works on all types
of nonmagical, nonliving material
Actions. Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one
target. 1d8 piercing damage.
Eye Rays (DC 19). The beholder shoots the following
magical eye ray, choosing one target it can see within
60 feet of it:
Enervation Ray

"Beware the Dream Fever!"

Edited by - Cbad285 on 06 Feb 2020 01:09:56

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  19:49:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why bonus Strength? They're trinket handlers, not haulers or melee warriors. And barely make it into Medium size category.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  21:34:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Why bonus Strength? They're trinket handlers, not haulers or melee warriors. And barely make it into Medium size category.



Seems oddly charismatic, as well, for a little eyeball. Unless, of course, those stats are for an exceptional NPC one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  01:06:15  Show Profile  Send Cbad285 an AOL message  Send Cbad285 a Yahoo! Message Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Why bonus Strength? They're trinket handlers, not haulers or melee warriors. And barely make it into Medium size category.



I took the stats from the 2nd edition MM. Though considering it, I do agree. Maybe drop it to 9?


Seems oddly charismatic, as well, for a little eyeball. Unless, of course, those stats are for an exceptional NPC one.



On this, I'm partial to the idea that charisma doesn't reflect physical description as much as it does another's perception of the creature. So being as intelligent as they are I'd imagine charisma comes along with that. But 2e had no bonus and certainly hindrances at 12 str.

**Edit - changed str to 9 and dropped bite dmg to 1d8

"Beware the Dream Fever!"

Edited by - Cbad285 on 06 Feb 2020 09:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  03:49:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cbad285


On this, I'm partial to the idea that charisma doesn't reflect physical description as much as it does another's perception of the creature. So being as intelligent as they are I'd imagine charisma comes along with that. But 2e had no bonus and certainly hindrances at 12 str.




12 STR is still above average.

I get that Charisma is more than just looks... But Intelligence and Charisma are separate scores for a reason.

I've known very charismatic people that were as dumb as a box of hammers, highly intelligent people that were as charismatic as cat vomit, and pretty much every combination in between. Charm can certain be helped out by brain power, but charm can also exist without it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  09:50:08  Show Profile  Send Cbad285 an AOL message  Send Cbad285 a Yahoo! Message Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:


12 STR is still above average.

I get that Charisma is more than just looks... But Intelligence and Charisma are separate scores for a reason.

I've known very charismatic people that were as dumb as a box of hammers, highly intelligent people that were as charismatic as cat vomit, and pretty much every combination in between. Charm can certain be helped out by brain power, but charm can also exist without it.



So what do you figure we Drop the CHA to? The intelligence is the most important stat for these guys obviously.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  11:11:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cbad285

quote:


12 STR is still above average.

I get that Charisma is more than just looks... But Intelligence and Charisma are separate scores for a reason.

I've known very charismatic people that were as dumb as a box of hammers, highly intelligent people that were as charismatic as cat vomit, and pretty much every combination in between. Charm can certain be helped out by brain power, but charm can also exist without it.



So what do you figure we Drop the CHA to? The intelligence is the most important stat for these guys obviously.



No more than 9, for the standard examiner. That score is considered average, though it'd obviously be low if it was a PC. An individual NPC examiner, that you want to be exceptional for some reason, might go as high as 12 for Charisma.

A little eyeball critter is going to be off-putting to most people. Even if it's got enough charm to offset that, it's adding a positive modifier to a negative one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Feb 2020 11:12:35
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2020 :  04:41:59  Show Profile  Send Cbad285 an AOL message  Send Cbad285 a Yahoo! Message Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Cbad285

quote:


12 STR is still above average.

I get that Charisma is more than just looks... But Intelligence and Charisma are separate scores for a reason.

I've known very charismatic people that were as dumb as a box of hammers, highly intelligent people that were as charismatic as cat vomit, and pretty much every combination in between. Charm can certain be helped out by brain power, but charm can also exist without it.



So what do you figure we Drop the CHA to? The intelligence is the most important stat for these guys obviously.



No more than 9, for the standard examiner. That score is considered average, though it'd obviously be low if it was a PC. An individual NPC examiner, that you want to be exceptional for some reason, might go as high as 12 for Charisma.

A little eyeball critter is going to be off-putting to most people. Even if it's got enough charm to offset that, it's adding a positive modifier to a negative one.




work. Okay well this post was mainly so that people can have it available if they Google search or the monster. Nine sounds fine to me.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000