Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Query on Baldur's Gate families: Vammas/Vannath
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2021 :  17:12:33  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm putting this here before I start digging out books from storage in the hopes of narrowing my search. I'm looking for some information on prominent noble families in Baldur's Gate, and in oddly specific sense I'm looking for details on two families that have a name beginning with "Va".

I do have the Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus gazetteer and Murder in Baldur's Gate, but both are unfortunately quite limited when mentioning either Vammas or Vannath:

- Vammas controls the majority of trade from Chult.
- Vannath fled the city of Neverwinter after the eruption of Mount Hotenow and married into the patriars to elevate their status.

There's no details included on members or anything of that sort.

I'm not expecting any specific information to exist on Vannath, since they're stated to be newcomers who've married into other families and given the link to Mount Hotenow's eruption I expect they are most definitely a 5E invention. I am wondering, however, if there is any detail on Vammas from older sources (since Baldur's Gate was involved with Chult at least as far back as 3E, and I think possibly 2E as well), or if they are also from 5E.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  10:17:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have to understand that due to the computer games (and the accompanying novel), Baldur's Gate was off limits to writers and designers. That's why there is so little real detail on the place. I understand that a new sourcebook has just been released at the DMs Guild - Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/365114/Minsc-and-Boos-Journal-of-Villainy-5e?src=hottest_wizards_and_adepts) which I understand contains information on the Gate.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  16:59:14  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You have to understand that due to the computer games (and the accompanying novel), Baldur's Gate was off limits to writers and designers. That's why there is so little real detail on the place. I understand that a new sourcebook has just been released at the DMs Guild - Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/365114/Minsc-and-Boos-Journal-of-Villainy-5e?src=hottest_wizards_and_adepts) which I understand contains information on the Gate.

-- George Krashos

Thanks for this, George! I'm admittedly somewhat unsurprised at the games and novel leaving Baldur's Gate off limits to writers/designers.

Unfortunately while I've already picked that product up, there's only a relatively small bit of detail in it on Baldur's Gate itself; a three page summary with nothing greatly different or more in-depth to what's already in the Heroes of Baldur's Gate DM's Guild product or the gazetteer, unfortunately. I'll have to do a bit more digging, I suppose, perhaps chasing the Chult angle if there's anything to be found on Vammas there. I'm doubtful at this point, but I may yet be surprised.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000