Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels Being Cancelled?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  10:48:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Ed is guaranteed involvment 1 FR product per year, not necessarily a novel. And the lore and short stories that he will publish through the DMGuild might count towards it.

It's a clause in his contract with TSR and WotC, the other one being that all that he says about the Realms is official (unless WotC says that it isn't).

That makes more sense. I don't know why people keep insisting it has to be a novel. It would make no sense for TSR to have agreed to such a contract, given that FR is primarily a game setting.

Except for the facts that at the time, they were heavily into novels, novels were more profitable, and Ed created the Realms as a place to tell stories -- the Realms predates D&D.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  06:41:13  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been working on some things career-wise (freaking real life... sigh) and geez, you step away for a year and the whole world literally comes crashing down...

I'm 28 and if the novels really are ending, that's very sad to me. They've been a constant my entire life and even if they aren't masterpieces of literature, I always found them enjoyable and a fun read. They've always been "there".

I have a few thoughts on this based on what I've read/heard/seen recently:

First of all, I don't think WOTC ever officially announced the ending of any line of books that I can remember. I may be wrong about that, but I don't remember any official announcement to Ravenloft or Dark Sun. Was there one with Dragonlance?

Secondly, it's really felt like the end for some time now. I was thrilled to hear about The Sundering "correcting" things and I looked forward to new heroes. But over the past few years I've felt that they've slowed down in producing new material and in producing new novels. I read somewhere about Hasbro not feeling the line was profitable and the downsizing (er... "reorganization") of the DnD team could be Hasbro just feeling that it's a money pit. I haven't seen any statistics on this so I'm just speculating. There has never been a time in my life where I can remember so little happening with FR. Now that could just be my age, but since the mid-90's there's always been something and now there really isn't, that's telling to me.

Now it could be they are just rebooting, but this doesn't feel like a reboot. It feels like what happened when the corporation I work for decided to gradually wind down one of their less-profitable divisions, downsizing and gradually ending one process after another, all the while insisting nothing was changing, until one day 3-4 years later there was so little left that when they laid off the remaining people and stopped remaining services, barely anyone even noticed or cared. By doing what they're doing, they aren't generating any new interest in FR, so a reboot seems unlikely. Unless FR films come out and they restart everything or they have some major new reboot in the works, this really may be the end. At least for the foreseeable future.

I hope I'm overreacting, but I don't see much to be excited about right now.

Another thing that is possible is for the pricetag on the DnD brand to drop enough that another corporation tries to purchase them from Hasbro.

Edited by - Naeryndam on 03 Dec 2016 06:51:07
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  08:51:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you work for ReyRey

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  16:31:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would read the Sundering series if you haven't already, and the Sword Coast Adventure's Guide is the 5e equivalent of a campaign guide. It's not as detailed as they have been in the past, but it updates you.

I know what your mean though. I am 27 and the thought of the novel line ending is sad.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  16:51:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that if Ed's new stories that he's publishing through the DMGuild prove to be successful, then maybe WotC will start to grant other authors the possibility to release stories and/or novels too. I mean, they got excited when Ed published his story, to the point that they are letting him publish an expanded version of it, as official lore. Maybe digital books through the DMGuild wil be the future of Realms novels?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  19:34:15  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that if Ed's new stories that he's publishing through the DMGuild prove to be successful, then maybe WotC will start to grant other authors the possibility to release stories and/or novels too. I mean, they got excited when Ed published his story, to the point that they are letting him publish an expanded version of it, as official lore. Maybe digital books through the DMGuild wil be the future of Realms novels?

Where did you hear that they're going to allow him to do an official expanded verison?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  19:59:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

Where did you hear that they're going to allow him to do an official expanded verison?

He said that. http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?whichpage=2&TOPIC_ID=21373#489541

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000