Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Witches of Rashemen: The Raumathari Sisterhood?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2016 :  22:54:22  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While reading through the "Grand History of the Realms" it has come to my attention that the Masked Witches of Rashemen are descended from the Raumathari Sisterhood that was created in order to protect Raumathari lore.

I wonder why we haven't seen more Raumathari influence in modern day Rashemen. The people of Raumathar were not berserkers so I'm not sure where that came from. I expect the people of Rashemen to be battlemages.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  02:10:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the write-up of Eltab in Champions of Ruin for an explanation.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  03:36:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

The people of Raumathar were not berserkers so I'm not sure where that came from.

From far North-West. See also "Starlight and Shadows".
quote:
it has come to my attention that the Masked Witches of Rashemen are descended from the Raumathari Sisterhood that was created in order to protect Raumathari lore.
I wonder why we haven't seen more Raumathari influence in modern day Rashemen. [...] I expect the people of Rashemen to be battlemages.

A semi-secret society finally gets to arrange the place according to its own vision and convenience. Why would they not just keep it this way, with themselves on top, now that they can?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  17:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have actualy concluded (possibly against canon) that Witches of Rashemen are secret Narfellian druidic circle that was not corrupted by demons and after the war their decided to settle in middle between Narfell and Raumathari and keep watch against legacies of both. Their Old Order keeps some Raumathari lore and they themselves are druids capable of circle magic (not arcane/divine casters with PrC as officialy).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  01:22:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

While reading through the "Grand History of the Realms" it has come to my attention that the Masked Witches of Rashemen are descended from the Raumathari Sisterhood that was created in order to protect Raumathari lore.

I wonder why we haven't seen more Raumathari influence in modern day Rashemen. The people of Raumathar were not berserkers so I'm not sure where that came from. I expect the people of Rashemen to be battlemages.

You could say that Raumathar had several different types of mages. There were the battlemages who combined melee combat with spellcraft. There were also the Raumathari who were people interested in mechanical magic and golems, and these same people were probably delving into ancient Imaskari lore. The one thing common to the male magic users I'd say is that they were interested in the magic of earth, fire, and steel (steel being a big thing). What do all of these have in common? Nature... the elements... and possibly spirits of nature

However, I think the female magic users of Raumathar probably focused more on the other elements: wind, water, healing & life magic, animals, spirits of nature but also the fey.

The males were probably the dominant part of their society, but near the end they were all being killed off, and it was the women that survived.

One thing also to bear in mind... Raumathar was much bigger than Rashemen. It stretched from Thay up to above Rashemen and out into the hordelands where its capital was in Winterkeep.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000