Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A call for Shaundakul lore!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Fern
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  18:31:47  Show Profile  Visit John Fern's Homepage Send John Fern a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Happy Holidays, Scribes!

I'm currently RPing a Ranger/Cleric of Shaundakul and I'm looking for a little more flavor I can bring to the table.

There is a lot of really great lore and history on the diety out there that I've been reading up on, but I was wondering if you guys had any of your own interpretations on what a follower of Shaundakul's daily life would be like.

My character is more concerned with exploration, adventure and hunting monsters rather then devoutly spreading the faith - which from my understanding is the common theme of Shaundakul's faith in general. A question I ask then is how much active preaching should a higher leveled cleric of his actively do? I really like the whole lead by example approach in Shaundakul's dogma and wouldnt want to deviate too much from that. He almost never speaks of his faith really unless asked and I guess I kind of like that.

I was wondering if any of you know of or have created your own hymns or prayers for Shaundakul? Lots of the more established and popular religions have a few flavorful prayers to go off of but I've never seen one for the Helping Hand.

Thanks for your time!
John

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  19:12:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trust you've read his entry in Faiths & Avatars? He was first introduced in The Ruins of Myth Drannor, as I recall, so there is some info there, as well.

I've an NPC that I will eventually share here: a wandering, legless mage that is a follower of Shaundakul. He enjoys just wandering freely, and frequently makes little shrines to the Helping Hand. He has also penned a series of Volo-esque travelogues, detailing his travels, in both cities and the wilderness.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  21:56:34  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I trust you've read his entry in Faiths & Avatars? He was first introduced in The Ruins of Myth Drannor, as I recall, so there is some info there, as well.

Well, that's mostly true, but technicaly a deity named Shaundakul, appeared first in the Anauroch sourcebook. But it was just Beshaba, who used this alias to tarnish Shaundakul's name, and make him known among the Bedine as the "Treacherous Lurker in the Sands". Beshaba's version of Shaundakul, was very little like the reall Rider of the Winds, to point of having a jackals head, making this incarnation kid-off similar to Mulhorandi/Egyptian gods.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  22:23:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, that's mostly true, but technicaly a deity named Shaundakul, appeared first in the Anauroch sourcebook. But it was just Beshaba, who used this alias to tarnish Shaundakul's name, and make him known among the Bedine as the "Treacherous Lurker in the Sands". Beshaba's version of Shaundakul, was very little like the reall Rider of the Winds, to point of having a jackals head, making this incarnation kid-off similar to Mulhorandi/Egyptian gods.

You are correct, sir, my mistake.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  02:19:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In no way Canon, I have Shaundakul as a former deity of the people which now inhabit The Ride. He brought them to the area and they still venerate him to this day remaining as nomads. I also make his totem animal the Raven...and it was his early people that constructed much of the Citadel of the Raven.

Again, all home based creation and in no way canon.

It was simply my way of establishing why his faith was so strong in the area of the Dales and Moonsea.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  03:13:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also some information in the "Ruins of Myth Drannor" boxed set, but most of that was repeated in "Faiths & Avatars".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

WardAtWar
Acolyte

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  15:31:34  Show Profile  Visit WardAtWar's Homepage Send WardAtWar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Does anyone have any "homebrew" stuff done for the Throne of Shaundakul in Myth Drannor. My players are going there and I'm trying to find information on it.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

There is always a chance...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  04:18:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's shared a tidbit or three on Shaundakul in his replies over the years as well, IIRC.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

WardAtWar
Acolyte

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2016 :  14:15:32  Show Profile  Visit WardAtWar's Homepage Send WardAtWar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sage.
Cheers I'll do a search for Ed's tidbits.

I was looking for a temple I could use as the Throne of Shaundakul in Myth Drannor that would already have a "wind god" and/or Myth Drannor flavour (descriptions etc). As a DM with little time to write this kind of stuff anymore it would be a massive help to have the basics already covered. I'm sure you busy DM's out there know what I mean.

My players and I are playing through a homebrew version of Night Below (converted to 3.5e)and the pary mage has managed to become possessed by the Marilith Lillianth (long story if your interested read here: http://wardsshed.wikidot.com/journal:journal.)
In short they have already "landed" (via magic) into the Trone of Shaundakul to meet with Jax Nightsong and to date I have had the Knights confine them to a few rooms below the temple.

One of my players is a (15th lvl) priest of Shaundakul and has come here seeking council from "The Knights of the Shadow Sword" as he has heard or Jax and his Knights and believes that as they battle Demons here in Myth Drannor frequently, Jax may be able to help.
Jax say's he knows of an exorcist that may be able help and has left to summon her.

This is where I would need some help as I would love to add flavour for the temple and Myth Drannor but I'm having trouble finding anything solid I can use on the "Throne of Shaundakul" or the "The Knights of the Shadow Sword".

Does anyone know if there is much flavour in the "Temple of the Sky God" (http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/11/lair-assault-temple-of-the-sky-god/)?

Much help needed and much thanks for any given.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  02:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked that Lair Assault module. For reference, Lair Assaults were written as very hard specific challenges for optimized 4e groups - so game and rules focused first, instead of being about story or lore. That said, Ed does have a design credit for some reason, and there's more lore than I'd expect - about a page's worth. Nothing new directly about Shaundakul, the Throne, or the Knights of the Shadow Sword. Just stuff about the Windspire and the Oracle of Winds. A good addition, but nothing that will directly solve your issues.

Unless you want your PCs to take a side-trip to the Stonelands, you can safely skip it.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  20:32:47  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaundakul was also the god of the Sind, monster's created by Ed in Dragon #89. I worked them for my 3.5E Realms Bestiary 2. Per Ed: “Ah, yes, the Sind (the Realms version of the Narnian marshwiggle, changed enough to be legally okay, though due to some editorial glitch the acknowledgement of their derivation went missing on the in-print version). I’m FINE with Sindar being Shaundakul (fits like a glove, doesn’t it? Suspicious, that. Almost as if someone designed it that way. :}) The gith link idea is intriguing, and I like it, because it does move them farther away from C.S. Lewis.”

Here's my lore:

SIND IN FAERÛN
Generations ago, a tribe of githzerai was attacked on the Warrior’s Rest by invading githyanki. The githyanki were led by the consort of their then-living queen. During the battle, the tribe’s leader, Sind, used his unique power to sequester the githyanki leader’s very being. Nevertheless, outnumbered, the githzerai fled with the comatose githyanki leader using their plane shift powers, and in their panic, the tribe ended up on the rocky island of the Gates of the Moon. Sadly, Sind died shortly after delivering his people, leaving them with their comatose prisoner. The remaining tribesmen knew the githyanki would not rest until they had recovered their leader. So they devised a means of hiding the githyanki consort, forever comatose, below the Gates of the Moon.
The tribe settled in along the ocean shore and paid their respects to the lillendi and shards of that realm. Over the ensuing generations, the constant use of psychometabolic powers to survive the plane became permanent. The tribe, now known after their leader as the sind, had adapted to their new coastal environment.
Often the tribe was visited by a giant of great wisdom, who was seen as the reincarnation of Sind himself and named “Sind who has risen” or simply Sindar. Sindar helped the sind negotiate with the celestial beings that lived among the moonlight. However, after a time, the sind were found by the githyanki. They begged Sindar to lead them once again to deliverance. Sindar could not refuse and led his people to Eastern Heartlands of the Realms. There he settled them among the wetlands of the region sometime before the fall of Myth Drannor.
Today sind are most prevalent in the Eastern Heartlands, particularly in the Marsh of Chelimber and the Marsh of Tun, though many also live among the various marshes of the Nelanther (on various small, nameless isles). A few survivors hang on in the Vast Swamp in Cormyr and small colonies still live in coastal marshes along the Sword Coast (the places young sind go to ‘have adventures’). When Sindar first brought them to the Realms, some sind made their way to the marshes in eastern Aglarond. These sind are long since slain by the undead armies of Thayan aggression.

Sind worship Sindar, an alias of Shaundakul and also called “Marshwinter” or “The Tall One.” Sindar is a wandering, immortal, sind of nearly 20 feet, who aids his people in their need. He has been known to appear, unannounced, to lead colonies of threatened sind into battle. Sindar is known on sight by all sind, any of whom will obey him absolutely. However, Sindar has no symbol and no organized worship among the sind; each sind makes his or her own private devotions, consisting of prayers, promises, and confessions.
Go to Top of Page

WardAtWar
Acolyte

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  19:33:31  Show Profile  Visit WardAtWar's Homepage Send WardAtWar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for pitching in.

Just to summarise my post above this is where I would need some help. I would love to add flavour to the ruined temple in Myth Drannor but I'm having trouble finding anything solid I can use on the "Throne of Shaundakul" or the "The Knights of the Shadow Sword". Can anyone point me in the direction of a temple that would suit (i.e. Temple of a god like Shaundakul (wind, air etc.) and that I could use at short notice? Perhaps someone has already run something similar?

Again thanks for any help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000