Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Millenium Dragon went to Abeir..and returned?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  21:43:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, a week or two back I was discussing some stuff I found in the 2nd edition Draconomicon. Its about a greater than 4 thousand year old blue dragon (Maldraedior) who is the last worshipper of the dragon deity Kalzarienad (a deity of dragon magic). However, he's also a dragon who is worshipped by humans in Unther. So, in the later Cult of the Dragon book, we find out that Kalzarienad dies "following" the ToT and Kereska gets his portfolios. The even later 3.5 Dragons of Faerun has Maldraedior still alive.

So, questions to ponder:

All deities were cast down to Toril during the ToT. Presumably, this includes dragon deities? If so, wouldn't Kalzarienad have had to have used Maldraedior as his avatar form, since he had no other worshippers? Might this have actually left Maldraedior less than impressed with Kalzarienad, and as a result, he lost his faith... and thus Kereska seized the portfolios.

Now, for another spin further down the road. Maldraedior is a "dragon ascendant" according to the Dragons of Faerun entry and still alive. This indicates he's gotten a spark of divinity (which he is being worshipped). Assuming he isn't killed off in the 10 or so years following (hell, he's survived 4 thousand, including the time of the Orcgates and the Theurgist Adepts). Wham... spellplague... Unther is sent to Abeir.

In a world of dragons, a new dragon "deity" named Maldraediro has just appeared. I'd love to hear other people's takes on what happened with this???? This has a very open ended storyline that people could spin how they want, and even more, what happens when he returns?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  23:43:20  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During the Time of Troubles, Maldraedior did become the avatar of Kalzareinad, and Kalzareinad voluntarily merged with Kereska; Kereska then granted Maldraedior renewed vitality, and Maldraedior stole a dozen or so various dragon eggs to raise in Kereska's faith. I believe Eric Boyd extrapolated all of this, but it never was published officially (but I think this is the basis for Maldraedior being listed as alive in Dragons of Faerun). He posted it somewhere here on Candlekeep.

I don't think a dragon who had been so zealously faithful (to the point it sustained his life for an exceptional amount of time) would become disillusioned upon becoming his deity's avatar. I do think the realization of how tenuous the deity's existence was (one last, zealous follower who is centuries beyond his expected lifespan is *really* tenuous) was enough to make Kalzareinad choose merging with a rival who shares some ideals rather than risk being destroyed by his foes. I think Kalzareinad would have been VERY frightened of Task, Garyx, Tiamat, or Null/Faluzure attacking him, especially given how close Tiamat's avatar was (Task was probably inhabiting Augaurath north of Anauroch, luckily for Kalzareinad).

That's how I interpreted and wrote up Kalzareinad in my Monster Mythology Update Project.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  23:54:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would work. The part about him being disillusioned, I just figured when he was inhabited either there wasn't a major power change OR his deity acted in a way that made his servant lose respect (for instance, maybe acting cowardly). Either way, he's not worshipping him any longer, and he has a human following worshipping him and something of a spark of divinity. I make the assumption that he was transferred to Abeir since that's where Unther went. Do you think he could have survived (or even thrived) there? I'm not sure what to do with the idea, but it seems like there's a seed here.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  05:42:13  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

That would work. The part about him being disillusioned, I just figured when he was inhabited either there wasn't a major power change OR his deity acted in a way that made his servant lose respect (for instance, maybe acting cowardly). Either way, he's not worshipping him any longer, and he has a human following worshipping him and something of a spark of divinity. I make the assumption that he was transferred to Abeir since that's where Unther went. Do you think he could have survived (or even thrived) there? I'm not sure what to do with the idea, but it seems like there's a seed here.

Well, as Kalzareinad's last worshiper, I imagine he had a pretty literal personal relationship with his god, so I doubt many things came as a surprise. :)

I don't know anything about Abeir ("my" FR stops around 1374 or so), so I'll have to leave that part to others to discuss.

EDIT--I believe this was what Eric Boyd wrote about Maldraedior (it's what I have in my notes):
Maladraedior, the great blue wyrm, has been seen once again over the skies of Dalath in hale health. Some 2,650 years ago, Maladraedior, then the reigning suzerain of the blue dragons of Unther and Mulhorand, abdicated or disappeared, and the great wyrm has not been seen since. Several merchants visiting Dalath at the time have recounted his aerial battle with a lesser wyrm of uncertain heritage who quickly fled from the 4,000 year-old behemoth. The last sighting of Maladraedior occurred in the Great Vale of Mulhorand and he was spotted heading south and east towards the great dust desert of Raurin.
As the last remaining worshiper of Kalzareinad, a (N(E)) demipower of draconic magic, Maladraedior was the only candidate to serve as that draconic deity’s avatar host during the Time of Troubles. The great blue wyrm has long laired beneath the streets of Dalath in a hidden temple where he is served by members of the Ramahiresh and Kalmarak families. As Kalzareinad/Maladraedior, the great blue wyrm emerged from his centuries of seclusion and set out to recruit new worshipers among the younger blue, brown, and yellow dragons of the Raurin region, achieving only limited success. At some point, Kalzareinad/Maladraedior encountered the avatar of Kereska and Kalzareinad voluntarily mearged his aspect with that of the Wonderbringer. The revitalized Kereska accepted Maladraedior as one of the highest ranking priests of her faith, and bid him to redouble his evangelistic efforts.
Following the conclusion of the Time of Troubles, Maladraedior returned to his subterranean lair in secret, along with a clutch of twelve chromatic dragon eggs of varying hues that he plans on raising as disciples of Kereska/Kalzareinad. As a gift from his reinvigorated deity, Maladraedior has maintained the youthful state of health Kalzareinad’s avatar exhibited. As a result of his renewed vigor, Maladraedior may become significantly more active in the coming decades.
(Derived from Draconomicon, “The Millennium Dragon,” pp. 90-98, and Cult of the Dragon, p. APPENDIX 1: DRAGON DEITIES)

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Edited by - AuldDragon on 31 Jul 2016 05:44:12
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  13:51:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Well, as Kalzareinad's last worshiper, I imagine he had a pretty literal personal relationship with his god, so I doubt many things came as a surprise. :)

I don't know anything about Abeir ("my" FR stops around 1374 or so), so I'll have to leave that part to others to discuss.

EDIT--I believe this was what Eric Boyd wrote about Maldraedior (it's what I have in my notes):
Maladraedior, the great blue wyrm, has been seen once again over the skies of Dalath in hale health. Some 2,650 years ago, Maladraedior, then the reigning suzerain of the blue dragons of Unther and Mulhorand, abdicated or disappeared, and the great wyrm has not been seen since. Several merchants visiting Dalath at the time have recounted his aerial battle with a lesser wyrm of uncertain heritage who quickly fled from the 4,000 year-old behemoth. The last sighting of Maladraedior occurred in the Great Vale of Mulhorand and he was spotted heading south and east towards the great dust desert of Raurin.
As the last remaining worshiper of Kalzareinad, a (N(E)) demipower of draconic magic, Maladraedior was the only candidate to serve as that draconic deity’s avatar host during the Time of Troubles. The great blue wyrm has long laired beneath the streets of Dalath in a hidden temple where he is served by members of the Ramahiresh and Kalmarak families. As Kalzareinad/Maladraedior, the great blue wyrm emerged from his centuries of seclusion and set out to recruit new worshipers among the younger blue, brown, and yellow dragons of the Raurin region, achieving only limited success. At some point, Kalzareinad/Maladraedior encountered the avatar of Kereska and Kalzareinad voluntarily mearged his aspect with that of the Wonderbringer. The revitalized Kereska accepted Maladraedior as one of the highest ranking priests of her faith, and bid him to redouble his evangelistic efforts.
Following the conclusion of the Time of Troubles, Maladraedior returned to his subterranean lair in secret, along with a clutch of twelve chromatic dragon eggs of varying hues that he plans on raising as disciples of Kereska/Kalzareinad. As a gift from his reinvigorated deity, Maladraedior has maintained the youthful state of health Kalzareinad’s avatar exhibited. As a result of his renewed vigor, Maladraedior may become significantly more active in the coming decades.
(Derived from Draconomicon, “The Millennium Dragon,” pp. 90-98, and Cult of the Dragon, p. APPENDIX 1: DRAGON DEITIES)

Jeff

Thank you. Although not canon, if it came from Eric I consider it such. This makes it very likely that he did transfer over and that for the past 100 years has been raising a group of chromatic dragons. However, these chromatics may be of differing hues than the ones that are typically associated with Tiamat (yellow, brown, but possibly also mercury, deep, steel, song, etc...). In fact, these may be different types than are ever seen in Abeir as well.

I wonder, especially if he has dragons known for shapechanging and dealing with humans, if he might not become allied with the Untherites... maybe even aiding them against the dragonborn of Abeir and/or the dragon overlords.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000