Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Exactly how "stand-alone" are TheSundering novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  09:08:33  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So the last book about Drizzt I read was either Thousand Orcs or Lone Drow (can't remember honestly).
How much will missing out on half-ish of Hunter's Blades, all of Transitions, and all of Neverwinter impact what I'm about to read in "The Companions?"

Ditto "The Godborn" if I haven't read The Twilight War trilogy, or "The Herald" if I haven't read anything past "Elminster Must Die?"

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  14:02:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can read the Companions and enjoy it without reading Transitions, Neverwinter, etc. But you will certainly be missing alot of the back-story, especially considering that tons of new characters are introduced in those series.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  14:09:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

So the last book about Drizzt I read was either Thousand Orcs or Lone Drow (can't remember honestly).
How much will missing out on half-ish of Hunter's Blades, all of Transitions, and all of Neverwinter impact what I'm about to read in "The Companions?"

Ditto "The Godborn" if I haven't read The Twilight War trilogy, or "The Herald" if I haven't read anything past "Elminster Must Die?"

Some of them are 100% standalone. Others are tied to previous stories, especially ''The Godborn''. ''The Companions'' can be read alone IMO. ''The Adversary'' continues Farideh's story from the ''Brimstone Angels'' books.

Ed has said that ''The Herald'' can be read as a standalone, but knowing his characters obviously helps.

This thread may be of help: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19534

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  18:33:50  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Companions is a reboot of sorts, so you'll be fine.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2016 :  18:24:47  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Godborn is not a standalone. It's actually a trilogy squished into one book. It picks up after the conclusion of the Twilight War Trilogy, which about 100 years had passed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000