Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bizarre Idea: Brazilian Wandering Spider
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  13:20:17  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Brazilian Wandering Spider is a very deadly spider whose venom causes heart attacks... but also holds a gift. They can give you a more then four hour erection while you die.

Here is the bizarre thoughts...

Do these kind of spiders exist in the realms? Do their venom have similar effects on other non-human humanoid life?

Could Drow Matron use them on attractive males, both Drow and otherwise, to turn them into disposable sex toys who die after sex?

This is my bizarre thoughts.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  13:27:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a Matron-motherly type thing.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  13:48:20  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds something like Matron Malice would definitely do...

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  14:02:48  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or something some of Lolths assassins would coat their notched blades with. The Banana Spiders venom other most potent effect is painful paralyzation lasting for hours on end.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  14:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a fun development. I think it'd depend on the humanoid race how quickly the venom reacts. Do Elves in general have higher or lower metabolism than humans? It might impact the length of time it takes to run its course. Dwarves would be resistant to it.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  15:22:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got bit on the face by a banana spider. My banana was fine, but I had a golf-ball sized goiter on my cheek. When lanced, cut actually, I removed a stringy white mass, like a wet cotton ball. Gross and painful, but no paralyzation. I don't know if they prey on small birds or what, but they spin giant (6 ft.), nearly invisible gossamer webs. When in Florida I encountered them often, some of them nearly as big as a hamster.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 20 Oct 2014 17:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  17:57:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crap, what that poison that only effected elves? Gotta be one of Elaine's.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 20 Oct 2014 17:57:54
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  19:11:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Hmmm... there's dwarfbane and cheeeese, but can't remember anything that affects elves, but not others. Witchweed gets all weave users.

My only shot here is that srindym is said to affect humans, but not elves. And humans usually count as "more generic", so it's more likely to be "elves immune" than "humans only". Then, if a comparably dangerous antidote to srindym was found, a mix where they neutralize each other's effect on humans may do the trick.
And how this will work on drow, who knows, they tend to be resistant, right?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2014 :  20:18:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Ed may have covered something, in the Ed's Realms book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  02:12:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. Definitely Elaine. Definitely Elaith. Only mentioned in passing. Maybe Dreamspheres. Shaiza this is gonna bug me

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  02:19:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah! Not the right scroll, but no matter. Every time I see someone bashing Wooly I am reminded of this... The square root of Wooly is pain.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Oct 2014 02:24:31
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  19:00:54  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

The Brazilian Wandering Spider is a very deadly spider ....

Of course, all the Australians reading your description are laughing and saying something like, "You call that deadly? Bloody hell, you've never met a funnel web...!"

Anyway, reading the rest of your statement, I suspect that once the Chinese have killed all the tigers and other sources of what they believe are aphrodisiacs, we might find them in Brazil looking for these spiders....

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000