Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 The Harpers & The Zhentarim
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Locrian
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  01:43:26  Show Profile Send Locrian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings.

In light of the faction affiliation aspect of the Adventurer's Guild, I am facing a dilemma on which is most suited for my character. I hope this is the right place for the question.

As a Chaotic Neutral Wizard on a classic quest for influence and power, I find appeal in the Zhentarim's "open-minded" view on morals. The vast resources offered by the family is also nothing to scoff at. Despite their loose moral tenets, members seem to be kept on a leash - at the beck and call of leadership until (if ever) they ascend to the governing body themselves. That is to say, the guild is generally too close-knit for comfort. Correct me if my understanding is flawed.

Alternatively, the Harpers operate based on a network of loosely affiliated agents. The freedom afforded here seem significantly larger than that of the Zhentarim. However, they principle, "too much power leads to corruption," is the complete opposite of my own; there can never be too much power. How is the judgement made regarding the limitations of powers?

Based on the cases detailed here, can the sages of Candlekeep advise on the more suitable faction of the two?

Edited by - Locrian on 03 Aug 2014 01:45:11

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  05:01:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does your character want power? What will he do with it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Locrian
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  05:20:04  Show Profile Send Locrian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point, it's very much a "power for power's sake" scenario. The wizard simply seeks to gather the means to master the weave, out of his love for magic. Any obligations otherwise are simple undesired hindrances. That said, his powers are measly, at present. Affiliations to powerful organizations such as the Harpers/ Zhentarim are necessary "evils" to expedite his ascent.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  08:46:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That being the case, I would say neither group is really a good fit... Harpers rarely find much in the way of power... Some are very personally powerful individuals, but because they go from here to there to poke their noses in different things as they are bid by senior harpers they never really build up political power in an area. Also they tend to try to be covert. If they have power they don't show it unless needed so that they are like a wild card no one expects.

For Zhents, acquiring power is a tricky business. There is always someone above you who doesn't trust you and might kill you or send you off to accomplish something for them with your death. AND there is always someone below you trying to grab power by "accidentally" arranging your death.

Unless your own goals more closely align with theirs then you don't want to join either.

What it sounds like you really want is to become the apprentice of a powerful wizard - learn their magic (or Weave mastery, as you put it) and then either move on or kill them and take what other magic there is to take. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  11:02:18  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not start with the Harpers - in part to ensure that you don't alarm your fellow players - and then swap to the Zhentarim once you've amassed a bit of power?

However, from your post I think your character is more of Zhentarim than anything else.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.

Edited by - Derulbaskul on 03 Aug 2014 11:03:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  03:11:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question, Locrian: are all the factions "on the table" in the Adventurer's Guild yet? ( I think there are other factions that would be a better fit for a character interested in power.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Locrian
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  05:52:39  Show Profile Send Locrian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the advice, scribes. I will weight your information carefully when I decide on my affiliations, if any.

The Hooded One: If I understand your question directly, these are the only factions up for grabs: (http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/factions)
An adventurer can join one at any point during the campaign. If you have a suggestion on any alternative, non-listed factions that may fit my character better, please let me know by all means.

Edited by - Locrian on 04 Aug 2014 05:54:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  02:04:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I had missed the official rollout, and wasn't sure if I could talk about factions beyond the two you mentioned. I was thinking of the Lord's Alliance. It's gaining power within a structure, not "standing proud as a loner," but it sounds to me as if that fits the character better. However, you of course might not agree.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dark Warlock
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  01:39:36  Show Profile Send Dark Warlock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with The Hooded One.
You can have your story be, the reason for joining is to gain power faster through means of your affiliation.
I think the Lords is probably the most neutral of them, save for The Emerald Enclave, which wouldn't suit you.
Go to Top of Page

Locrian
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  22:02:48  Show Profile Send Locrian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your input. I'll definitely look into the Lord's Alliance in that case.
It's not so much a matter of standing alone, rather than minimizing the obligations of belonging in an organization.
Go to Top of Page

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  21:07:54  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The wizard simply seeks to gather the means to master the weave, out of his love for magic. "

ahhh surely you will favor the Lord's Alliance, since for what is research into magic without the protection of civilization for you to produce and keep the fruits of your labor. Is it not that even the greatest wizard can benefit from the great cities, which house the greatest research institutes there are? Or is progress achievable when one must set himself with constant vigilance to ensure he is not stabbed in his back? Nay i think.
most people in the Lord's Alliance are in it to ensure their prosperity and hold no universal 'love' for people outside of their interest.
Welcome.

Knowledge is Power
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000