Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Spellfilcher of Erevan Ilesere
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  22:35:20  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Knave of The Missing Page (Evereskan Spellfilcher of Erevan Ilesere)

The Knaves of The Missing Page are a special breed of Rogue/Wizards. They master and combine their knowledge of spells with their utter love of mischief, larceny and intrigue. They are a notable example of spellfilchers that are based in the vale of Evereska but active all throughout Faerún. There are even some Knaves of the missing page in the ranks of the much lesser-known elven thieves guild in Everlund called The Rogues of the Laughing Twilight. The Knaves of The Missing Page work well with the clergy of Erevan, especially with Divine Seekers and Mischiefmakers, but also just as well with Thief-Acrobats, Shadowdancers and Temple Raiders of Erevan Ilesere. They are among Faerún's most powerfully skilled thieves and wont hesitate to cast a Delayed-blast Meteor Swarm in the main chapel of a rival deity, or cast Flensing on an opponent after having stolen a priceless item or artifact from them. They are often sent on highly dangerous missions to retrieve stolen elven artifacts and magic items from other churches and races.

Hit Die: d4.

Requirements: To qualify to become a Knave of The Missing Page, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Character must be a Elf or Half Elf.

Skills: Knowledge (religion, arcana) 5 ranks, Disguise 5 ranks, Open Locks 10 ranks, sleight of hand 5 ranks, Disable Devise 10 ranks, Spot 10 ranks, Search 10 ranks.

Feats: Skill Focus (at least one; open locks, sleight of hand, disable devise, move silently, hide), Any Metamagic feat.

Spellcasting: Ability to cast Greater Magehand and at least one 3'rd level or higher arcane spell with the schools of Illusion, Abjuration, Enchantment and Divination.

Special: +3d6 Sneak attack ability. Must have Erevan Ilesere as a Patron Deity.

Class Skills: As the Rogue class skills, plus Knowledge (religion, arcana), Concentration and Spellcraft.
Skill points at each level- 4 + Int mod.

Class Features: Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Knaves of the missing page gain no proficiency with small or light weapons.

Spells per day: A Knave of The Missing Page's training focuses on Arcane magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level, she gains new spells per day as if she aso gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Ranged Spellfilch: At 1st level the she can perform one of the following class skills at a range of 35 feet: Disable Devise, Open Lock or sleight of hand. There is no increase to the skill check DC for working at a distance and you may take 10 on the check while in shadows. This ability may be used twice a day.

Smiling Defense: At 1'st level she gains a +2 bonus to all saving throws against spells from the schools of Illusion and Divination.

Sneak Attack: At 2nd level she gains sneak attack +1d6 as the rogue ability. This stacks with any sneak attack ability from another class. The damage increases to +2d6 at 4'th level.

Locate elven object: At 2'nd level You sense the direction of a well-known or clearly visualized object. You can search for general items, in which case you locate the nearest one of its kind if more than one is within range. Attempting to find a certain non-elven item requires a specific and accurate mental image; Attempting to find a certain elven object does not require a specific or accurate mental image, only knowledge of its function, purpose, and/or glimpse through divination. This spell like ability may be used 2/day, and is cast at total character caster level.

Bonus Feat At 3'rd level she gains a bonus feat from this list: Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Improved Familiar, Quicken spell, Delay Spell, Twin Spell, Daredevil Athlete, Disemboweling Strike, Lucky start, Persistent attacker, Sly fortune, Sure Hand, .

Erevan's Sense: At 3'rd level she possesses an uncanny intuition that warns her of danger. She gains a +4 insight bonus to Reflex saves to avoid traps, +4 dodge bonus to AC against attacks by traps, and a +4 insight bonus on spot checks to spot creatures at the beginning of an encounter.

Discern elven location: At 4'th level nothing short of a mind blank spell or the direct intervention of a deity keeps you from learning the exact location of a single elven individual or elven object. Discern elven location circumvents normal means of protection from scrying or location. The spell reveals the name of the creature or object’s location (place, name, business name, building name, or the like), community, county (or similar political division), country, continent, and the plane of existence where the target lies. To find a creature with the spell, you must have seen the creature or have some item that once belonged to it. To find an object, you must have glimpsed it in a divination at least once. This spell-like ability may be used once a day, and is cast at total character caster level.

Tricksters Shroud: At 5'th level she gains the ability to cast the Spell resistance spell on herself one time a day giving her SR 12 + caster level. It's a spell-like ability that is cast at her total caster level.

Improvised Sneak Attack: At 5'th level She can combine her Rogue and Arcane skills to perform this ability. She can declare one melee or ranged attack she makes to be a sneak attack. The target of improvised sneak attack loses any and all dexterity bonus to AC, but only against this one attack. She does not need to flank her opponent or remain hidden for this to work. This ability may be used 2/day.

CL-BAB-FS-RS-WS-Special- Spells per day

1'st-+0-+0-+2-+2-- Ranged spellfilch, smiling defense- +1level

2'nd-+1-+0-+3-+3-Sneak Attack, Locate object +1level

3'rd-+1-+1-+3-+3-Bonus feat, Erevan's sense -+1level

4'th-+2-+1-+4-+4-sneak attack, Discern elven location. -+1level

5'th-+2-+1-+4-+4-Tricksters shroud, Improvised sneak attack -+1level

Any and all comments and ideas are welcomed! ;)

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 17 Sep 2010 07:57:58

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  16:04:59  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I re-vamped this PrC as well. Hope you all enjoy! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  01:37:46  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you think? Fairly balanced? Opinions are much accepted and wanted. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  05:00:18  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ran this PrC in a test game and it worked out great. I didn't play the PrC, but a long time gamer did, and it seemed to run pretty balanced. I'm pretty darn excited, lol. Any input or suggestions? I plan on running this PrC again next week with a different gamer and see how it works with someone else.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Katans
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  09:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Katans's Homepage Send Katans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't look bad. Given the fluff text at the beginning, a non-Good alignment should also be a prerequisite. Additionally, there are no arcane spells with the Trickery or Luck descriptor, given that those two aren't descriptors at all. Plus, Spell-like abilities are usually linked to hit dice or class level, and not to caster level (which can be pumped above the overall character level), but it's up to you.

Edited by - Katans on 25 May 2010 09:19:38
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  21:17:48  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I've changed a few things that were suggested and I agreed on. Looks better already, though I am still taking critique on this PrC. any more suggestions?

Thanks,
CEV
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  16:16:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me man, though I'd beef it up a bit with a d6 for Hit Die. I like the flavor and character abilities.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  02:50:14  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diffan. I may just bump it up to 1d6HD. Not a bad idea. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  03:17:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Katans - There can be Good Rogues, it though might be harder to justify Lawful even if the task of acquiring a stolen item serves a Lawful Good purpose. There have been many example of good thieves in myth (Robin Hood, Simbad and Aladdin being a few examples).

Copper - Not sure why you require cast Greater Magehand?

The two good saves and one weak does not appear a limit to giving d6 hit points per level.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  05:05:50  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Katans - There can be Good Rogues, it though might be harder to justify Lawful even if the task of acquiring a stolen item serves a Lawful Good purpose. There have been many example of good thieves in myth (Robin Hood, Simbad and Aladdin being a few examples).

The two good saves and one weak does not appear a limit to giving d6 hit points per level.

Can you elaborate Kentinal on what you mean with the 1d6 HD?

And greater magehand because of the ability to use rogue skills at a distance, like sleight of hand, disable device, etc... etc...
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2010 :  06:40:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

And greater magehand because of the ability to use rogue skills at a distance, like sleight of hand, disable device, etc... etc...

You proposed d4 per level, Diffan proposed d6 per level. All I was doing is agreeing that I did not believe d6 was too powerful.

It bothers me that this spell is listed as an requirement, odds are most elves that are interested in the PrC would take the spell (if it is on their spell list) as a means to achieve the purpose of this class. I would rather see something like the 1st level of the PrC class require the character to select that spell as opposed to being allowed to select any other spell, this done by requirements of being able to learn that level spell. There also might be a problem of how many classes have the spell on their list at all.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  16:03:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

You proposed d4 per level, Diffan proposed d6 per level. All I was doing is agreeing that I did not believe d6 was too powerful.

It bothers me that this spell is listed as an requirement, odds are most elves that are interested in the PrC would take the spell (if it is on their spell list) as a means to achieve the purpose of this class. I would rather see something like the 1st level of the PrC class require the character to select that spell as opposed to being allowed to select any other spell, this done by requirements of being able to learn that level spell. There also might be a problem of how many classes have the spell on their list at all.

Well Greater Magehand is a Wiz/Sor spell of 1st ;evel and I think most characters who obtain this PrC are going to be either Wizard or Sorcerer. That doesn't mean that a Duskblade or Bard can't take the feat that allows them to choose additional spells (depending on how you read it). And because it's only a 1st level spell, I don't feel it's really a problem that it's required siince the class bases some of it's abilities to make the spell more useful.
Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  07:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Discern elven location: At 4'th level. . . . .

I think this is a little too strong. The prereq of 10 ranks means that this fourth level ability could be acquired by an 11th level character. I would tone it down a little. There should be a save and such. Perhaps attached to the Knave character level.

I'd love to try some pbp, but never have. PM me a game i could lurk at. I think it would be fun to play with someone who has tabletop software.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  02:01:01  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrie

Discern elven location: At 4'th level. . . . .

I think this is a little too strong. The prereq of 10 ranks means that this fourth level ability could be acquired by an 11th level character. I would tone it down a little. There should be a save and such. Perhaps attached to the Knave character level.

Actually, to even take this class you need to be a 10'th level Character (Rogue 5/wizard 5), so that means that by the time you even get DeL at 4'th level, you are already a 14'th level PC. Not too strong really. Hope that helps.

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 13 Sep 2010 03:24:54
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  23:46:18  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Switched a few things around and added more rogue elements. Enjoy!

Thanks, CEV
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  02:36:16  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a fun class to play...
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  08:27:07  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love your work, CEV. With your permission I'll add it to the file I've already got of some of your other PrCs. It seems we share a few similar interests. With that in mind, I thought I'd bring these to your attention. Not my work, but I found it in my travels through the ether and it jives nicely with an elven campaign I'm working on involving the Avariel, the Eldreth Veluuthra and the Fey'ri.

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-278555.html (*especially Velesia)

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-277113.html

all rights go to Varyar, props to both of you, thanks for sharing

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Jan 2011 08:29:48
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  01:48:38  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely. Thank you Fellfire. I'm glad you like my work. I hope to keep more coming.

:)

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Love your work, CEV. With your permission I'll add it to the file I've already got of some of your other PrCs. It seems we share a few similar interests. With that in mind, I thought I'd bring these to your attention. Not my work, but I found it in my travels through the ether and it jives nicely with an elven campaign I'm working on involving the Avariel, the Eldreth Veluuthra and the Fey'ri.

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-278555.html (*especially Velesia)

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-277113.html

all rights go to Varyar, props to both of you, thanks for sharing

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  13:43:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... forgot about this PrC.... haven't played in sooo long.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  16:06:49  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why the metamagic feat prerequisite? It's not a pure caster class and it doesn't enhance the character's spellcasting abilities, the metamagic feat requirement is unnecessary.

The bonus feat least suffers from the same problem, what the connection between SF/ISF/IF/metamagic with being an arcane trickster derivative?

Trickster's shroud is another problem: it's boring. A 1/day spell resistance isn't even thematically accurate to the class's theme.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000