Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Nether Scroll to Candlekeep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  10:32:06  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A character of mine in a solo campaign recently found a Nether Scroll (long story), and is currently studying it, while in hiding. He has only one problem: what does he do with once he studied it? It will attract far too many attention for a young mage like himself. I came up with the idea of giving it to Candlekeep. That gives me (and the DM) some questions though:

1. Will Candlekeep accept it, given it's power?
2. Will giving a Nether Scroll garner more benefits than giving a new book/tome? If so, what will these benefits be?
3. Is Candlekeep anonymous, in that they don't tell non-monks who gave them the scroll?

PS: The year is 1375 DR, and we're playing 3.5

Edited by - shandiris on 26 May 2011 10:33:31

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  13:18:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shandiris

1. Will Candlekeep accept it, given it's power?

-I would hope so, yes! Candlekeep is a repository of knowledge, and they wouldn't be doing their job properly if such an item, a Nether Scroll, with so much knowledge locked within, was turned away. Candlekeep has a lot of strange and powerful tomes, scrolls, and artifacts (magical and mundane) in her storage, so I wouldn't see why another item of power and/or relevance would not be accepted. If word got out, that a Nether Scroll was on it's way to delivery to Candlekeep, or that the acolytes there possessed one, I could definitley imagine plenty of groups would begin scheming to..."acquire" it for their own ends.

quote:

2. Will giving a Nether Scroll garner more benefits than giving a new book/tome? If so, what will these benefits be?

-I would say yes, and no. In an official capacity, no. Why would a Nether Scroll be inherently better than, say, an old tome that details the social customs of the ancient Nar? Both provide invaluable research information. At the same time, though, it's the friggin' Nether Scroll! I see it as a situation similar to celebrities when they have run-ins with the police, over relatively trivial matters (speeding, broken brake light, windows tinted too deeply, etc.). Technically, celebrities are not supposed to get special treatment, but, because they're rock stars, and can hook-up the police who pull them over (in theory), they get special treatment.

quote:

3. Is Candlekeep anonymous, in that they don't tell non-monks who gave them the scroll?

-If an individual wanted to keep his/her identity unknown, he/she could easily do that, and remain anonymous. All it takes is using an alias, and that's that. Magic that can transform you, or mask your identity, or anything else like that can be used if the person really doesn't want their identity known.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  16:34:04  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-I would say yes, and no. In an official capacity, no. Why would a Nether Scroll be inherently better than, say, an old tome that details the social customs of the ancient Nar? Both provide invaluable research information. At the same time, though, it's the friggin' Nether Scroll! I see it as a situation similar to celebrities when they have run-ins with the police, over relatively trivial matters (speeding, broken brake light, windows tinted too deeply, etc.). Technically, celebrities are not supposed to get special treatment, but, because they're rock stars, and can hook-up the police who pull them over (in theory), they get special treatment.

Well the reason I'm asking is that in the 3.5 Adventure Module Aunaroch, Empire of Shade pg 87-88 mention that if you bring certain books you're more welcomed. However a Nether Scroll is way more powerful than the 2 artifacts described in there. The question is how far candlekeep is willing to go in terms of favors? (Could you perhaps prolong the ten days)

quote:

-If an individual wanted to keep his/her identity unknown, he/she could easily do that, and remain anonymous. All it takes is using an alias, and that's that. Magic that can transform you, or mask your identity, or anything else like that can be used if the person really doesn't want their identity known.
[/quote]

But Ed mentioned here: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/ck_scroll.htm about ten times that the monks carry more than enough ways of looking through those kinds of magic. So the question remains, are they willing to accept that you are using a false name?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  17:20:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well the reason I'm asking is that in the 3.5 Adventure Module Aunaroch, Empire of Shade pg 87-88 mention that if you bring certain books you're more welcomed. However a Nether Scroll is way more powerful than the 2 artifacts described in there. The question is how far candlekeep is willing to go in terms of favors? (Could you perhaps prolong the ten days)

-Again, that depends on how gracious the monks are. Everyone's different, and with no specific answer about the personalities of the head monks of the library, in that manner, it's up to you. Basing things just on how we act towards people who do stuff like that, I'd wager that the monks would be willing to do a lot for the individual. How often to you hear about people getting 'lifetime passes' to restaurants, or businesses, or things like that, for doing things those places approved of? Fairly often. A similar situation, here. They'd be very grateful to get a massive trove of information, and it's up to you to decide just how grateful they'd be.

quote:

But Ed mentioned here: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/ck_scroll.htm about ten times that the monks carry more than enough ways of looking through those kinds of magic. So the question remains, are they willing to accept that you are using a false name?

-That's if the individual is so paranoid about being unrecognized that he/she uses magic to mask what he/she looks like. And, for every way to detect a truth/dispel a lie, there is a way around it. If a person wants to be anonymous, there are ways to ensure that they stay anonymous. Simply put, if a person simply approaches monks, and makes up a name instead of giving one's real name, or uses an alias, the monks are going to be none the wiser- especially if they actually don't know you. If I met you for the first time, and introduced myself as 'Allan' instead of 'Steve', you won't be none the wiser than I'm lying about my name.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 26 May 2011 17:20:27
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  18:10:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, if you read Ed's intro here at the 'Keep, he goes into that (which is partly excerpted from Elminster's Daughter).

The Monk's ALWAYS know when someone is lying, regardless of weather magic is used to obfuscate the truth or not. It is the very nature of Candlekeep (and it's patrons) that 'TRUTH must prevail" - it is one of their fundamental tenets. Knowledge is power, and true knowledge is true power.

The Monks at Candlekeep are privy to things even the Elves have forgotten.

And YES, they would love to get their hands on a Nether Scroll (if they don't have copies already).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2011 18:11:29
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2011 :  07:39:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Actually, if you read Ed's intro here at the 'Keep, he goes into that (which is partly excerpted from Elminster's Daughter).

The Monk's ALWAYS know when someone is lying, regardless of weather magic is used to obfuscate the truth or not. It is the very nature of Candlekeep (and it's patrons) that 'TRUTH must prevail" - it is one of their fundamental tenets. Knowledge is power, and true knowledge is true power.

The Monks at Candlekeep are privy to things even the Elves have forgotten.

-And, there are ways to get around that. We have an infinite number of scenarios to make up here, and, say, Shar decides that XYZ's secret stays a secret. Boom, done. It's been a while, but Malik, the Seraph of Lies, I seem to remember, keeping truths from Candlkeep's monks.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  14:46:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im pretty sure that there exists some ways of kkeppping knowledge from the monks, be at hard, but possible yes.

There is a lvl 9 spell called something like "one step ahead" or something like that... I think is does some kind of very powerful nondetection. Its like computer viruses. Everytime some makes a new anti virus prgram, someone makes a virus that it cant detect.

So I would say yes to posibility, but etremely dificult!
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  17:36:58  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
update:

I've recently run the session in which I give the scroll to Candlekeep. The trip to Candlekeep was very interesting (read: very dangerous) But I survived thanks to some nice tricks.
The monks saw right through my disguise as I expected, but they did promise to not reveal my identity to anyone else. The reward I got (apart from the normal tenday of entrance), was that I can copy books and texts myself while in Candlekeep. (Provided I still pay normal fees and there is a monk present.)
I'm quite content with what I got, although it's a very cunning move by the monks. --> The reward will be of no use to me, unless I can gain access, which means I have to get more unique works.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  04:59:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's quite funny that you assume Candlekeep doesn't already have a number of Nether Scrolls. Indeed, the monks (or their agents) might follow magic and rumours to come collect such a scroll rather than place the burden of delivery on a young mage.

Insofar as the Nether Scroll's "value" ... it attracts mages, who are in turn required to donate yet more tomes to gain entry. That alone would be valuable to Candlekeep's monks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  05:53:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

It's quite funny that you assume Candlekeep doesn't already have a number of Nether Scrolls.

-Given what they are, how sought out they would be, and how, as demonstrated in Nether Scroll they're wont to being "collected away" when found, I wouldn't assume that Candlekeep already has any number of Nether Scrolls down in their vaults. That's just me, though.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  06:41:24  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

It's quite funny that you assume Candlekeep doesn't already have a number of Nether Scrolls.

-Given what they are, how sought out they would be, and how, as demonstrated in Nether Scroll they're wont to being "collected away" when found, I wouldn't assume that Candlekeep already has any number of Nether Scrolls down in their vaults. That's just me, though.

I agree here, mostly because my character would have definatly kept it for himself if he was higher level.
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  15:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being that your mage tends to honorably turn the Scrolls over to Candlekeep i think that if he simply asked that they keep his name secret then they would honor his wishes. Perhaps a senior monk would pen the actual name in a hidden tome for reference purposes but ti would be quite well hidden and difficult to locate or translate (perhaps in code, im sure they know a few). After all they simply want the knowledge not to hinder the gererous mage's life or cause them undo stress or trouble.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2011 :  11:02:47  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think it would be unreasonable to assume that Candlekeep would possess some of the Nether Scrolls,. Ultimately in any campaign focused on them the DM will need to come up with locations for each, and Candlekeep fits as one of the most important and well protected houses of knowledge in Faerun. Moreover, the Cloaktower of Neverwinter housed a Halavar's Universal Pantograph, the Mistmaster once had a few Nether Scrolls secreted away, and the Highfire Crown was kept locked away by the Blackstaff. It is not therefore unreasonable that Candlekeep could be a site bearing them. It could also place them at odds or at risk with certain powers of the realms if it were publicly known that they possessed a scroll, and thus it would likely be a guarded secret.

In terms of your reward, I do not think it truly matched what you had given them. I would have given several of the following story rewards if the PCs donated a Nether Scroll, or all of them depending on which scroll it was:

* Future admittance to the Keep without presenting a new book.
* May remain in Candlekeep beyond the tenday limit, provided you do not violate their rules, customs, or laws.
* Assistance from monks in research of common (1/day) difficult (1/week) or obscure (1/month) Sage knowledge, without paying the standard Sage fees. This may either be in terms of a NPC knowledge skill check, or the NPC enabling your character to re-roll a previously failed Knowledge check with the +2 aid another bonus (whichever has a higher modifier). To use this benefit you must spend at least one day.
* A significant "story reward" (and XP), such as an important bit of information regarding a major long term quest or goal the character is taking part in, or obtaining the patronage of an elder sage NPC who can direct the character to future quests, adventure sites, and the seeking of lost tomes. These benefits would be on par with the XP reward and clue provided by Mirym regarding Saharel if you donated the Tablets of Pharyssolnyth.
* The gift of a magic item, rare spellbook, or other item from Ulraunt suitable for your character's level +4. This last bit would only be given if the character was honest and forthright about their identify, motives, how they acquired the scroll during their discussions with Ulraunt.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2011 :  17:48:46  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the Simbul completely. I don't think the reward matched what was given.

I also feel that, if Candlekeep had other Nether Scrolls - and especially now that they do (in your game at least) - that if it were to become public knowledge that it places them at odds or at risk with certain powerful individuals and groups in the Realms. As a result, having the scroll would be a guarded secret.

I also believe that your character should be allowed access to the scroll, provided it remains within the library. This naturally encourages you to bring them such items in the future. Ensuring that you have mostly unfettered access means that it isn't of a real loss to you to give it to them for "safe keeping." It also means that they can share the knowledge with others. It is a win-win situation, especially if you find more such objects and bring it to them as a result.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  02:54:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not convinced knowledge of Candlekeep possessing Nethers would be a particularly dangerous thing. To be sure, there's always the chance Larloch (or one of his lichy agents) could show up demanding immediate access to the scroll. Yet, again, such a scroll would attract numerous mages and scholars (and the tomes they bring for admission) as well ... it could be, like so many other things, a sort of semi-secret not known with certainty by the public but implicitly understood by those higher-level sorts "in the know". Chosen and Red Wizards and dragons and liches (even Larloch and stranger things still, such as phaerimm and illithid) are all welcome provided they respect and adhere to Candlekeep's Code of Conduct, haha ... those who demonstrate sufficient ability (and sufficiently valuable entry gifts) could quite possibly read whichever Nether's the Keep can offer. Under strict supervision, of course.

The Nether Scrolls exist for the purpose of propagating and disseminating magical knowledge. They seem to move around of their own accord (or through the actions of Mystra or some other agency) to where they are needed most by aspiring mages. A place like Candlekeep is an ideal - even expected - place for some Nethers to be collected, and is exactly the sort of place where they'll "choose" to remain unless/until they are needed more urgently elsewhere.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  12:01:38  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Simbul and Adrick:
I'm actually quite happy with the reward. It gives me alot of (quick) access to spells and knowledge. I'm also recieving more assistance/privileges than normal (I'm playing through the tenday now.) I have not yet discussed the option of access to the scroll with the monks yet.
I did ask about the presence of other scrolls. But the answer is a "No" for now.
@ Arik:
I thought Larloch was a known friend of Candlekeep? Furthermore in my 2 mile frantic run towards candlekeep, I was helped by atleast one lich. (So that could be one of Larloch's helpers (I just realised this))
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  14:33:05  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arik -

The first group that came to my mind was the Twisted Rune. How exactly does Candlekeep defend itself against multiple epic-level spellcasters? Wards against teleportation and destruction magic - for example - are useless. There is plenty of magic that isn't destructive, but equally as deadly that can be used to get around that ward. Getting inside for such a powerful spellcaster isn't an issue either (they'd have access to plenty of tomes that would get them in freely - each of them worthless compared to one of the scrolls), making only the escape more difficult - not the entry.

The ghost dragon could be slightly annoying, but only because she returns every 10 to 24 hours after slain. Of course, there are ways to handle that as well - simply imprison her spirit. That way she isn't slain (technically) but can't rejuvenate either. This is easily within their limits.

What protects Ulraunt against compulsion magics? What about the First Reader and the Great Readers? Once inside, the moment they encounter Ulraunt and screw with his mind, they basically are in full control of the place through him. Not only that, Ulraunt - being a level 10 wizard and the Keeper of the Tomes - likely knows all there is to know about Candlekeeps wards and secrets. Including how to disable them, if necessary.

Since wards against teleportation aren't exactly unique to Candlekeep, and it is easy to learn that Candlekeep has such a ward, studying those wards prior to your arrival can give you a good idea on how to deactivate or modify them. So, once you have Ulraunt under your control, you know all about the wards through him now, and you have a working knowledge of teleportation wards... well, you simply make a tiny tweak to that teleportation ward Candlekeep has... one that allows you and your epic-spellcasting buddies to teleport in and out of Candlekeep at will so long as you hold special tokens. (Similar to how entering the Inner Rooms of Candlekeep functions.)

Since you're coming to steal a Nether Scroll, you've likely been preparing for it for some time. So upon removing it from the Inner Rooms (accessed with the help of Ulraunt - your new found pet), you cast a permanent illusion to make it appear as if the scroll is still there, and for anyone attempting to use the scroll to "believe" that they've actually read the Nether Scroll. If it is ever found to be a fake, then it could be years upon years later, and the trail long sense run cold. Most likely, the individual who brought the scroll would be accused of bringing a fake one.

So, once you've obtained the scroll, cast the illusion, and modified the ward(s), you can leave.

Now, unless I'm missing something in Candlekeeps defenses, this should work barring DM fiat.

And just so no one misunderstands me, I'm not saying that only evil groups such as the Twisted Rune would want to steal the Nether Scroll. There are plenty of good aligned groups who'd want to steal the scroll to ensure that it doesn't fall into the hands of groups such as the Twisted Rune. ...or, they'd want to keep individuals and groups such as the Red Wizards from reading it and learning its knowledge, which is something Candlekeep would allow.

---------

Shandiris -

I'm glad you're pleased with your reward. I just think, for something as invaluable as a Nether Scroll (really you cannot place a value upon it), that Candlekeep was being rather ungenerous. Really, something as valuable as one of the scrolls should have had Ulraunt throwing himself at you offering sexual favors and indentured servitude just for a peak. (Okay, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but it's not really THAT far from the truth... depending on how much self-respect Ulraunt has in the face of a major temptation for any wizard.) Of course, he might just slit your throat while sleeping to get it, if it were denied to him...

I mean, really, for any wizard to gaze upon the Nether Scrolls should have them practically turning into Gollum, and going all: "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious."
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  15:24:09  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Aldrick:

DM fiat is most certainly in effect here. I know for a fact (in character) that the First Reader has a CL of atleast 16. And the defenses are probaly upgraded too (as they should be IMO). Given that my pursuers backed off once I entered Candlekeep.

About the reward: My only problem was that if I didn't accept with his terms, I'd be going back in the open. My character is currently a lvl 9 wizard, and given the fact that there were several 15+ mages chasing me, that wouldn't end very well for me. I think that lowered the reward quite a bit..

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  06:42:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you say about possible theft (and thieves) being set upon Candlekeep is true enough, Aldrick. Yet the keep can access many other defenses, including ...

• Alaundo the Seer. Mysterious and reclusive, and quite likely a sort of Realms counterpart for Astinus (Gilean) of Palanthas on Krynn. By which I mean Alaundo is not only a phenomenally skilled magic user, but he has also had many many centuries to refine Candlekeep's defenses. Alaundo (and Astinus) might in fact be an avatar or possess divine rank, if not actually being a sort of divine power then at least having the ear and special favour of one.

• Candlekeep's allies. Surely the keep can call upon all manner of mages and priests and liches and dragons from every corner of Faerūn (and beyond) during times of desperate need? No doubt many favours and promises are owed to the keep, and no doubt there are always powerful agencies (and spells) in place to alert allies so they may in turn alert their allies and teleport to defend/retake the keep or any of its contents.

• Heroes, adventurers, and even thieves and scoundrels and bastards of seriously dubious character are regularly employed (knowingly or otherwise) by the monks of Candlekeep for various tasks; typically involving the location or recovery of this-or-that precious tome. Just because somebody stole a book doesn't mean they're able to keep it for very long.

• Finally, of course, the keep is exactly as impervious as the story - the game designers and authors and DM - require it to be. Simple fiat and handwavium can make it eternally unassailable just as easily as they can allow a 1st level scrub to make off with all the spellbooks and Nether scrolls he can carry.

• [/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Jun 2011 06:45:34
    Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
    Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  12:26:36  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I thought Alaundo was dead? I wasn't aware that he was still kicking around.

As to Candlekeep's allies - of course. They could and would call upon their allies if they had the opportunity. However, if things were done similar as to what I described, then no one would be the wiser as to what had happened. Thus, Candlekeep could have more allies than you can shake a stick at, but it won't do them any good if they don't realize they actually need help.

Of course, naturally, if Candlekeep discovered the scroll was missing (along with perhaps other precious knowledge), they'd call upon adventurers, and countless other individuals to help them locate it. However, again if done as I describe the revelation could be years or decades later, if ever. Ulraunt himself (and quite possibly every future Keeper of the Tomes) could be under permanent compulsion magic with specific instructions to never seek out certain things if they're discovered missing.

I am operating on the assumption that Candlekeep would lose the scroll to a group of highly intelligent, coordinated, and capable Epic Level Spellcasters. The Twisted Rune is one example, since they're so closely located near Candlekeep. I'm assuming that they're planning ahead before making any attempt to take the scroll, and creating fail-safe measures in their plan should this or that measure fail.

Your final point is also my point regarding DM fiat. I'm specifically talking about Candlekeep as detailed in the canon, since that's the only steady base we have to go on... unless someone wants to write up a fanon version of Candlekeep with even greater defenses for us to test and see if we can poke holes in those defenses.

My point, really, was that Candlekeep as detailed in canon, is pretty secure against most people (though some of its wards also may work against it). However, when it comes to high level spellcasters the defenses of the Keep are virtually non-existent. Thus, as a result, a Nether Scroll (if one actually existed in canon, and was widely known to exist there), has a very good chance of being taken.
    Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
    Great Reader

USA
    3737 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  13:40:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    -No, Alaundo is quite dead. Perished in 76 DR, the Year of Windsong.

Elves of Faerūn
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7969 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  14:26:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Are you certain of that?

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
    Great Reader

USA
    3737 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  18:32:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    -Such is what the Forgotten Realms wiki says; I am not home this week, and cannot verify. That said, he lived during the first century DR, and no sources anywhere mention anything about Lichdom, or anything similar to extend his life, nor his continued existence at Candlekeep over a thousand years or so after he arrived.

Elves of Faerūn
    Go to Top of Page

thebaron
    Acolyte

USA
    15 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  04:50:36  Show Profile  Visit thebaron's Homepage Send thebaron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

-Such is what the Forgotten Realms wiki says; I am not home this week, and cannot verify. That said, he lived during the first century DR, and no sources anywhere mention anything about Lichdom, or anything similar to extend his life, nor his continued existence at Candlekeep over a thousand years or so after he arrived.

Of course, that gave me a horrible idea: what if he became part of the keep's defenses? Mythral-like, but maybe his spirit can shape the defenses against an assault as needed. That would explain why it has been such a tough nut to crack and the increasing knowledge gathered makes it easier to defend over time.
    Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
    Great Reader

USA
    2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  06:44:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    For those debating Alaundo's survival, there are other scrolls in which his skull is discussed. Unless he's a headless tomesman I think his mortal-coil is long since shuffled off.

However - my initial impression of Alaundo ran along the lines of yours Ayrik. He struck me as a parallel to Astinus. I think that the information we've gotten about him since 1st E have been at least in some part designed to eliminate their similarities.

That said, I see no reason why in anyone's home-brew realms he cannot be an Avatar of Oghma... or have some other means of return to Candlekeep.
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6646 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  14:38:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hmm, Ed did provide me with some Alaundo lore a while ago. When I get back home, I'll see if I can dig it up.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
    Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
    Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  23:26:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Yeah I don't recall ever reading anything regarding Alaundo being alive all this time. I do think the idea that he still exists within the wards of CK (much like Mythanthor does in Myth Drannor) is sound. I would assume that he is a Chosen of Oghma and that his presence within the wards is known to very few.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7969 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  00:09:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hmm. Then the Alaundo we all know here at the keep is an imposter? Yeah, methinks the *real* Alaundo did not hail from the UK.

Of course his being dead does explain some things. For instance, has any of us actually ever seen or met Alaundo? No. All we get is intermittent hastily scribbed announcements about the status of the keep, secondhand hearsay writings! And perhaps, for those of us who've been around long enough (too long?), random bits of wisdom uttered by a disembodied voice are sometimes heard and oft attributed to Alaundo.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  00:18:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    My wife thinks he has a nice smile.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000