Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question about Hoard of the Dragon Queen NPC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  20:35:39  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, everyone. I received my copy of the 5E PHB and Hoard of the Dragon Queen on Tuesday, and since have been reading over them both. I read about the Eldritch Knight Archetype, and read about an NPC named Dralmorrer Borngrey on page 90 of the HotDQ module. It appears that he is a 7th level Fighter that is an EK, which is fine. Then, looking over his spells, I wonder how he has the number of spells that he does.

I understand that high elves in 5E know one cantrip of their choosing, which explains how he has prestidigitation, and then being an EK grants him the selection of two more cantrips. The ones that he selected are fire bolt and shocking grasp. That is fine.

When you look over how many spells of 1st level or higher he should know, the number in the PHB is five. However, he has six spells listed, which are:

1st level (4 slots): longstrider, magic missile, shield, thunderwave
2nd level (2 slots): magic weapon, misty step

Unless I've misread something, isn't that one spell too many? Also, magic weapon is a transmutation, while misty step is a conjuration spell. The fact that he has longstrider as a 1st level spell doesn't bother me, as it states in the PHB on page 75 that you know three 1st level spells, two of which you must choose from the abjuration and evocation spells on the wizard spell list.

After that, you go from the Spells Known column of the Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table, which tells you when you learn more wizard spells of 1st level or higher. They have to be from the abjuration or evocation schools, and must be a level for which you have spell slots. At 8th, 14th, and 20th levels, you may select spells from any school of magic.

How does this NPC have the extra spell, and why are his two 2nd level spells not of the abjuration or evocation schools? Any help that you can offer me on this would be greatly appreciated. Is the NPC improperly set with spells, or am I missing a feature or something else that grants him the extra spell and the ability to draw from the conjuration and transmutation schools? Thank you all for your time!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 21 Aug 2014 20:39:57

JohnnyGrognard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:25:58  Show Profile Send JohnnyGrognard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just double checked both the NPC and the Eldritch Knight rules and you are correct. He should not have those transmutation spells yet. You can only pick from differing schools for the 8th, 14th, and 20th level.

You are also correct about him having one too many spells as well. I have noticed though, that in Lost Mines of Phandelver, certain NPCs are not created according to the rules. I don't know if this NPC is a typo or some deviation we don't have access to yet. But good catches.

Door, Room, Monster, Treasure!

Edited by - JohnnyGrognard on 21 Aug 2014 23:26:47
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:33:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I was wondering what was going on there. I looked all over the internet, but no one else seems to have noticed it or didn't mention it. I was wondering if my skills at reading a PHB and module were lacking...

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  04:34:31  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's possibly a hold over from an earlier version of the rules, or an incomplete set. Adventures aren't written and produced overnight and the rules were probably finalized at the same time the adventure was written.

Barring that, things happen during development, NPCs change 'archetypes' and concepts are sometimes merged without a full reconciliation between the concepts and rules.

Finally, sometimes NPCs are a certain way to enhance their role in the adventure or to provide more of a challenge (unlikely in this case, the character can still only cast so many spells in a round). Haven't read the adventure yet (though it's sitting on my desk as I type this), but perhaps those spells fulfill a need for the particular encounter(s) the NPC is integrated into.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  05:33:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why NPCs would be following PC rules out-right, such as they sorta did with 3rd Edition (I say sorta because there were numerous errors with their stats, on the whole). In 4E, it wasn't common to see NPCs with exactly the same exploits, spells, prayers, etc. either. Perhaps 5E sort of blended the two, following most of the PC mechanics and then changing them to suite a more specific purpose?
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  06:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd advise checking the Free Basic DM Rules, to see if that clears anything up. It has a sneak peak at Monster creation. Might help. I'm too tired to reason through it at the moment. Sorry. :/

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  06:26:23  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your insights, everyone. I'm still not completely sure what went on with that NPC, but I'll move past it and focus on other aspects, like enjoying the adventure outright, and have a great time running it. I always find that running a module or two in a new edition (as I did with 3.x) is a great way to grasp how things are supposed to work, as well as give me more of an idea on building my own adventures.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000