Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Phoenix Guard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  13:07:01  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know BG is borderline canon material, but in BG1 + TotSC there is a feature in Nashkel that has eluded my research so far. Clicking three times on a particular gravestone near the Temple of Helm summons a group of flaming warriors. These warriors can be defeated, but rise out of the flames again...

Does anyone know the origin of these Phoenix Guards (or the spell)?

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  15:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea. It was one of the places in BG that kept intriguing me... and every time I passed the gravestones I could not help but klicking on them.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  01:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really you can do that, I beat the game without even knowing that. I'll have to check that out!!
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  00:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, me too! I want to try that.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  08:00:45  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing about the Phoenix Guard that bothers me most, is that I think I have seen a reference to them in one of the recent 3e products, however I can't find said reference anymore. I had never seen anything hinting at them in 2e. However, the Guard appear almost like some sort of a summoning spell. <makes mental note to browse through some 3e material...again.>
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  17:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They appeared in Durlag's Tower as well.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  17:46:13  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this is one of the Realm's little unsolved mysteries awaiting official disclosure by the Greenwood himself...

I have asked the question about the Phoenix Guard two or three years ago on the Realms-L as well... to no avail. No-one seems to know the (canon) answer.

Intrigueing...
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2002 :  17:48:50  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Maybe this is one of the Realm's little unsolved mysteries awaiting official disclosure by the Greenwood himself...

I have asked the question about the Phoenix Guard two or three years ago on the Realms-L as well... to no avail. No-one seems to know the (canon) answer.

Intrigueing...

BioWare may have made them up. That is not at all unlikely.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Captain Louis
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2002 :  02:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Captain Louis's Homepage Send Captain Louis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be mistaken, but I think I saw an entry for Phoenix Guards in Monsters of Faerun.

Ow, I cut my lip!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2002 :  15:20:05  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Following your lead, I went through my copy of Monsters of Faerun again, but couldn't find the reference. For completeness sakes, I also took the Monster Manual for a search, but again came up empty handed.

The only 'Phoenix' references I found were the mythological bird of the same name and an item in Magic of Faerun called: 'Phoenix Helm'. However both do not seem to be linked to the BG effect other then the name...

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 04 Dec 2002 15:22:17
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  04:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings you asked about the guard. Well sources indicate that the elves hold a powerful book of prophesies called the Arcanum one of them is called the Finale by the elves witch details the coming of the seven supposedly strange creatures of evil origin. anyhow the elves knew that when the time came to defend the world they would play a major role and so a group of powerful elven leaders called the retreat. While others returned to Faerie. Where Elil Avelron was founded and the seven leadres led by Rarnadel created the Pheonix guard the main force of thousandes of elves withc make up a primary defence. The also defend elven communiteies. But they do not aid other towns besides elves beleiving it must remain a secret. Uf these aren't the guys then i know not who

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

Edited by - Senbar Flay on 05 May 2004 04:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  06:04:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Greetings you asked about the guard. Well sources indicate that the elves hold a powerful book of prophesies called the Arcanum one of them is called the Finale by the elves witch details the coming of the seven supposedly strange creatures of evil origin. anyhow the elves knew that when the time came to defend the world they would play a major role and so a group of powerful elven leaders called the retreat. While others returned to Faerie. Where Elil Avelron was founded and the seven leadres led by Rarnadel created the Pheonix guard the main force of thousandes of elves withc make up a primary defence. The also defend elven communiteies. But they do not aid other towns besides elves beleiving it must remain a secret. Uf these aren't the guys then i know not who

Pray, what are these sources you refer to?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  13:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I say sources i mean books novels net etc...

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  15:34:35  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perchance you could share the titles of these sources in order for the scribes here to search for those tomes and scrolls and read further detail for themselves?
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  17:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

Perchance you could share the titles of these sources in order for the scribes here to search for those tomes and scrolls and read further detail for themselves?

Well I got this info from a site on the Dlaggradath net something like that it has info on all the races where it details the elven creaton of the Pheonix guard.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  18:59:30  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the whole thing might have been something purely for the game as there seem to be no 'canon' references to the Phoenix Guard.

That is unless the source Senbar Flay refers to mentions a canon source where they could have gotten their information from...
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  05:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well I got this info from a site on the Dlaggradath net something like that it has info on all the races where it details the elven creaton of the Pheonix guard.

I found the scroll Senbar mentioned. http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/retreat.htm I would be interested to know how accurate this info is.

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  00:07:22  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

quote:

I found the scroll Senbar mentioned. http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/retreat.htm I would be interested to know how accurate this info is.

I dont' think its Canon I do remeber someone telling me it is fan created(I think) so I guess it's not accurate Canon wise. But it might relate to these phoenix warriors however I think it is unlikely since these guards have to do with the church of Helm more than these elves.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  00:30:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

quote:

I dont' think its Canon I do remeber someone telling me it is fan created(I think) so I guess it's not accurate Canon wise. But it might relate to these phoenix warriors however I think it is unlikely since these guards have to do with the church of Helm more than these elves.

The site is fan created. The webmasters do appear to try to defer to source material, including novels and I suspect FR computer games.

However there are guards and there are guards. Even if having the same name it certainly can be a different order and have different pupose.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  14:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly guys, I think the appearance of the warriors in the video game is more another facet of the game rather than a reference to obscure FR lore.

On the other hand, it was neat to see Wooly Rupert appearing in a game, even if he IS accompanied by a berserk and insane human.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  21:08:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I believe the source that Learned Scribe Senbar Flay was referring too was this tome here in the 'Keep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/retreat.htm

A great tome it is by the way!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Pray, what are these sources you refer to?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  21:49:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

I believe the source that Learned Scribe Senbar Flay was referring too was this tome here in the 'Keep:

No, he answered the question about the source 15 years ago.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  16:36:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Are you referring to the following shared link?

http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/retreat.htm

If so, I checked it, and it was no longer a valid link. If it isn't the one you're referring to, I'm afraid I've overlooked what you're referencing.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Master Rupert,

No, he answered the question about the source 15 years ago.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  21:47:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert,

If so, I checked it, and it was no longer a valid link. If it isn't the one you're referring to, I'm afraid I've overlooked what you're referencing.

Yes. He answered the question when it was asked 15 years ago. He also said it wasn't canon.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  02:40:32  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Thank you for clarifying, and sorry for the delay! :) I had to go back and reorganize my mind to flesh that out (for some reason, it was not working the way it should have for a minute).

When I posted my response, I was posting something from here at the 'Keep, which itself references canon sources, as a means to provide something with more validity, by a canon source.

Though, I am forgetting for some reason: are Dragon magazine issues considered canon? I just drew a blank!

Best regards as always!

quote:

quote:

Master Rupert,

Yes. He answered the question when it was asked 15 years ago. He also said it wasn't canon.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000