Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Phoenix Guard

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 30 Sep 2002 : 13:07:01
I know BG is borderline canon material, but in BG1 + TotSC there is a feature in Nashkel that has eluded my research so far. Clicking three times on a particular gravestone near the Temple of Helm summons a group of flaming warriors. These warriors can be defeated, but rise out of the flames again...

Does anyone know the origin of these Phoenix Guards (or the spell)?

24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Feb 2020 : 02:40:32
Master Rupert,

Thank you for clarifying, and sorry for the delay! :) I had to go back and reorganize my mind to flesh that out (for some reason, it was not working the way it should have for a minute).

When I posted my response, I was posting something from here at the 'Keep, which itself references canon sources, as a means to provide something with more validity, by a canon source.

Though, I am forgetting for some reason: are Dragon magazine issues considered canon? I just drew a blank!

Best regards as always!

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Are you referring to the following shared link?

http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/retreat.htm

If so, I checked it, and it was no longer a valid link. If it isn't the one you're referring to, I'm afraid I've overlooked what you're referencing.

Yes. He answered the question when it was asked 15 years ago. He also said it wasn't canon.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2020 : 21:47:56
quote:

Master Rupert,

If so, I checked it, and it was no longer a valid link. If it isn't the one you're referring to, I'm afraid I've overlooked what you're referencing.

Yes. He answered the question when it was asked 15 years ago. He also said it wasn't canon.
cpthero2 Posted - 20 Feb 2020 : 16:36:10
Master Rupert,

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Master Rupert,

I believe the source that Learned Scribe Senbar Flay was referring too was this tome here in the 'Keep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/retreat.htm

A great tome it is by the way!

No, he answered the question about the source 15 years ago.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 21:49:19
quote:

Master Rupert,

I believe the source that Learned Scribe Senbar Flay was referring too was this tome here in the 'Keep:

No, he answered the question about the source 15 years ago.
cpthero2 Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 21:08:10
Master Rupert,

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Greetings you asked about the guard. Well sources indicate that the elves hold a powerful book of prophesies called the Arcanum one of them is called the Finale by the elves witch details the coming of the seven supposedly strange creatures of evil origin. anyhow the elves knew that when the time came to defend the world they would play a major role and so a group of powerful elven leaders called the retreat. While others returned to Faerie. Where Elil Avelron was founded and the seven leadres led by Rarnadel created the Pheonix guard the main force of thousandes of elves withc make up a primary defence. The also defend elven communiteies. But they do not aid other towns besides elves beleiving it must remain a secret. Uf these aren't the guys then i know not who

Pray, what are these sources you refer to?

Forge Posted - 29 Jun 2005 : 14:32:05
Honestly guys, I think the appearance of the warriors in the video game is more another facet of the game rather than a reference to obscure FR lore.

On the other hand, it was neat to see Wooly Rupert appearing in a game, even if he IS accompanied by a berserk and insane human.
Kentinal Posted - 29 Jun 2005 : 00:30:24
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

quote:
Well I got this info from a site on the Dlaggradath net something like that it has info on all the races where it details the elven creaton of the Pheonix guard.

I found the scroll Senbar mentioned. http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/retreat.htm I would be interested to know how accurate this info is.

I dont' think its Canon I do remeber someone telling me it is fan created(I think) so I guess it's not accurate Canon wise. But it might relate to these phoenix warriors however I think it is unlikely since these guards have to do with the church of Helm more than these elves.

The site is fan created. The webmasters do appear to try to defer to source material, including novels and I suspect FR computer games.

However there are guards and there are guards. Even if having the same name it certainly can be a different order and have different pupose.
Senbar Flay Posted - 29 Jun 2005 : 00:07:22
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

quote:
Well I got this info from a site on the Dlaggradath net something like that it has info on all the races where it details the elven creaton of the Pheonix guard.

I found the scroll Senbar mentioned. http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/retreat.htm I would be interested to know how accurate this info is.

I dont' think its Canon I do remeber someone telling me it is fan created(I think) so I guess it's not accurate Canon wise. But it might relate to these phoenix warriors however I think it is unlikely since these guards have to do with the church of Helm more than these elves.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 09 Jun 2005 : 05:58:18
quote:

Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 06 Jun 2004 : 18:59:30
I guess the whole thing might have been something purely for the game as there seem to be no 'canon' references to the Phoenix Guard.

That is unless the source Senbar Flay refers to mentions a canon source where they could have gotten their information from...
Senbar Flay Posted - 06 Jun 2004 : 17:04:30
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

When I say sources i mean books novels net etc...

Perchance you could share the titles of these sources in order for the scribes here to search for those tomes and scrolls and read further detail for themselves?

Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 23 May 2004 : 15:34:35
quote:

Perchance you could share the titles of these sources in order for the scribes here to search for those tomes and scrolls and read further detail for themselves?
Senbar Flay Posted - 05 May 2004 : 13:13:21
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 May 2004 : 06:04:02
quote:

Greetings you asked about the guard. Well sources indicate that the elves hold a powerful book of prophesies called the Arcanum one of them is called the Finale by the elves witch details the coming of the seven supposedly strange creatures of evil origin. anyhow the elves knew that when the time came to defend the world they would play a major role and so a group of powerful elven leaders called the retreat. While others returned to Faerie. Where Elil Avelron was founded and the seven leadres led by Rarnadel created the Pheonix guard the main force of thousandes of elves withc make up a primary defence. The also defend elven communiteies. But they do not aid other towns besides elves beleiving it must remain a secret. Uf these aren't the guys then i know not who

Pray, what are these sources you refer to?
Senbar Flay Posted - 05 May 2004 : 04:02:52
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 04 Dec 2002 : 15:20:05
Following your lead, I went through my copy of Monsters of Faerun again, but couldn't find the reference. For completeness sakes, I also took the Monster Manual for a search, but again came up empty handed.

The only 'Phoenix' references I found were the mythological bird of the same name and an item in Magic of Faerun called: 'Phoenix Helm'. However both do not seem to be linked to the BG effect other then the name...
Captain Louis Posted - 01 Dec 2002 : 02:28:30
I may be mistaken, but I think I saw an entry for Phoenix Guards in Monsters of Faerun.
Echon Posted - 27 Nov 2002 : 17:48:50
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Maybe this is one of the Realm's little unsolved mysteries awaiting official disclosure by the Greenwood himself...

I have asked the question about the Phoenix Guard two or three years ago on the Realms-L as well... to no avail. No-one seems to know the (canon) answer.

Intrigueing...

BioWare may have made them up. That is not at all unlikely.

-Echon
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 27 Nov 2002 : 17:46:13
Maybe this is one of the Realm's little unsolved mysteries awaiting official disclosure by the Greenwood himself...

I have asked the question about the Phoenix Guard two or three years ago on the Realms-L as well... to no avail. No-one seems to know the (canon) answer.

Intrigueing...
Echon Posted - 27 Nov 2002 : 17:41:25
They appeared in Durlag's Tower as well.

-Echon
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 25 Oct 2002 : 08:00:45
The thing about the Phoenix Guard that bothers me most, is that I think I have seen a reference to them in one of the recent 3e products, however I can't find said reference anymore. I had never seen anything hinting at them in 2e. However, the Guard appear almost like some sort of a summoning spell. <makes mental note to browse through some 3e material...again.>
Drummer Boy Posted - 25 Oct 2002 : 00:43:42
Yeah, me too! I want to try that.
Darwin Tenderfoot Posted - 14 Oct 2002 : 01:38:39
Really you can do that, I beat the game without even knowing that. I'll have to check that out!!
Ditalidas Posted - 11 Oct 2002 : 15:56:02
I have no idea. It was one of the places in BG that kept intriguing me... and every time I passed the gravestones I could not help but klicking on them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000