Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Imaskarcana
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  16:14:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Then again, the Arcane Age have some very specific rules about time travel, and a ninth level spell to make limited 1-year trips.
And then, Mystra, Azuth, Oghma, Deneir, and Labelas Enoreth collectively watch out for time travelers. And Labelas' Knights Paradoxical are more or less Faerūn's "Time Police". That being said, you definitely could find out information on the Imaskarcana in the past; you just couldn't physically take it (or any magic item) back to the present with you.

For me, the "rule" in arcane age was a way to try to make characters in one time setting fit within all the parameters of Netheril - i.e. we don't want a wand of magic missiles going back to before the Netherese general invented it. Silly if you ask me, especially considering the lengths TSR went to blend the worlds in to Planescape and Spelljammer settings, you could go back in time in Krynnspace, hop a Man-O-War and be on Toril any time.

Also, the original Old Empires accessory had the Font of Time in Mulhorand (which is right next to Imaskar, by the way) which allowed time travel under an entirely different set of rules.

And there's an astronomical feature (a constellation, as I recall) in Greyspace that can toss spelljamming vessels to random points in time and space.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  03:08:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little point of trivia... it's curious to me that the only Imaskarcana that we have any sort of information about are the odd-numbered ones...

Edit: And apparently I'm the only one who finds this fact curious... not really surprising, as I have a rather curious sense of curiosity...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Jul 2009 03:18:19
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  07:01:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've long held the (personal) view that there are lots of Imaskarna - the term originally being used in Imaskar to denote a magic or lore repository. There are the "offical" Imaskarna (of which yes, we've only seen the "odd" ones - but in my view that is because the even ones are ... well, slightly more ... mobile and the seventh, ties them all together ...) and then the other Imaskarna made by various wizards and groups/cabals of that realm.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  15:54:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lesser and Greater Imaskarkana... I like that better then 'True' and 'False'...

<especially since Ed's were turned into the 'False'>

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  16:41:02  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Lesser and Greater Imaskarkana... I like that better then 'True' and 'False'...

<especially since Ed's were turned into the 'False'>

You sure about that Mark? The 'False' Imaskarkana, as far as I know, come from Robert Sullivan's article in Dragon #281 "Imaskarcana: Faces of Magic"

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000