Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favored Souls v. Clerics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  17:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
which is the better class? why?

Choices:

Favored Souls( divine casting sorcerers)
Clerics

(Anonymous Vote)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 03 Dec 2007 18:19:51

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  23:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted for cleric - obviously - though the archivist beats them both hands down.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  23:48:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Archivists are pretty interesting, and I really like cloistered clerics myself.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  23:52:24  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will go for the original Cleric
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  03:17:40  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cleric! Feel thy POWAH!!!

TESTIFY!!!
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  03:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Chosen!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  13:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
even though Clerics are technically better spellcasters, I am more of a fghter type person and therefore favor the former

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  14:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favored Souls are a good change of pace....this is making me want to play one :)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  16:55:42  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
divine characters are my favorite( real gods with real powers).
it's a hard decision because the cleric class is based on pc intentions while fav soul is based on deity intentions. my fav. divine prestige class is pious templar. the mettle class feature can't be beat.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  04:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for cleric as the better class. I like the concept of the Favored Soul, but mechanically I have a problem with the design of the class. Having spells known tied to CHA and spell DCs tied to WIS limits a PC's effectiveness IMO.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:07:47  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to go with the Cleric...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  17:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In our campaigns there's a house rule that allows Favoured Souls to choose their known spells from two of their deity's domains. We felt that having an inherent divine connection would more likely manifest in the more domainy, portfolio-specific spells, than the generic prayer-type cleric spells.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  17:34:45  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
clerics...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

RIMV
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:28:46  Show Profile  Visit RIMV's Homepage Send RIMV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My current party that I DM has both a Cleric of Lathander two Favored Souls, one of Mystra and one of Tempus. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, which my group has managed to compliment wonderfully.

As for which is a better class to play, that is entirely up to the individual player and I can't answer properly as I have never played a Favored Soul, but I DM the NPC Cleric of Lathander. Perhaps in the next game I play in I might just play a Favored Soul just to see what it is like.

No vote from me.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  00:40:52  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on what the character is wanting to accomplish, really. I like to run a straight cleric and burn off my turn attempts to power my metamagic feats. And yet, I made a half celestial paladin/favored soul that could do the same thing really. I guess it just depends on your overall desires. No vote from me either.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000