Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The most "free" nation or city in FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  00:24:25  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
in what nation are the usual people the freest from oppression and law (if less law is a good or a bad thing is not the point in this disscussion)?

Icewind-Dale comes to my mind although life can be very tough and dangerous as the adventures of a certain drow ranger should have prooved it

any other suggestions?

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  00:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast describes the Sword Coast as frontier wild lands where anyone capable of fighting off all the monsters can make whatever they wish of the land. There's no real central authority that I could see. There's no royalty. I don't think the city-state of Baldur's Gate (with its elected so-called "Grand Dukes") feels responsibility for any land beyond its most immediate environs, just outside the city walls.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  02:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, if a place is too "lawless", that often means the average person is more in danger of being oppressed by any number of local bullies.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Feb 2007 02:30:21
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  02:37:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
silverymoon and the silver marches

Edited by - scererar on 21 Feb 2007 02:45:38
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  02:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd put Silverymoon down as being a very fair city.

Gah you got there just before me

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 21 Feb 2007 02:39:34
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  02:45:58  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Dale has little governing going on

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  03:42:21  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

I'd put Silverymoon down as being a very fair city.

Gah you got there just before me

I'm not sure "free" rythmes with a city magicaly warded agaisn't some evil races.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  06:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Narfell
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  08:26:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, do we only talk about human cities and settlements? What about elves, dwarves, halflings ect. and their cities? Matter of fact, we know not much about most of those places. However, I would think that the evlen cities on Evermeet are pretty 'free' in that sense. As for the dwarves, Mithril Hall comes to mind. How about the halfling cities in Luiren - any thoughts?

So thinking inside the scope, as for the human cities, Silverymoon comes to mind easily.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  08:41:11  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say some of the settlements of the Dalelands myself. Silverymoon would be more about benign laws, as would some of the settlements of the Western Heartlands. Luiren and other hin settlements as well as the gnomish settlements would probably be very free for the inhabitants, but entrusting of outsiders.

You could also include the sylvan races as a whole, although it would be a bit far fetched to call their lands nations.
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  10:06:55  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree with Jorkens and also choose for the Dalelands.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  13:25:43  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  15:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Of course, if a place is too "lawless", that often means the average person is more in danger of being oppressed by any number of local bullies.

How true!
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  15:40:14  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on how your defining free, if free is general anarchy then Skullport. But if free is with some laws and more about freedom of the individual i would say waterdeep or Silverymoon.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  15:45:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the definition used in the starting post I'd say Featherdale (unless I'm confusing it with one of the other dales).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  18:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skullport really isn't general anarchy. You cannot do whatever you please for fear of being blasted into dust by floating skulls. "Act in a manner we approve or die" is actualy quite oppresive.
The comunity that is most "Free" is an unnamed, unknown comunity far off the beaten path, and several just like it. These places are away from major trade roads and away from the coast so merchant concerns don't drive anyone here. Most likely there is a local constable who is simply the farmer determined best able to deal with problems. As long as there are no problems, there's no law controling what you can and can't do. Live your life, let your neihbors live thiers, and please don't make that poor constable have to actualy do his job for a change, because that's downright anoying.
These kinds of places are my idea of "Free"
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  21:39:38  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its rather funny ... i vote on Halruaa since its largely selfpoliced ... (and at the same time i think that the Jordain is the 'least' free)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  23:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverymoon on the broad range
IWD also
Mithril Hall for the Dwarves

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  17:45:20  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silver Marches

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000