Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who's Hot and Who's not in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  17:21:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

He's humorous, dangerous, powerful, has an interesting fashion sense...he's evil but for some reason that makes him strangely and unspeakably attractive, if not compatible.

So, a wide brimmed hat with a a big feather and a vest with no shirt on under it might work for some guys?

Somehow I don't think that I could pull off that look myself.

I'm too sexy for my shirt...too sexy for my shirt...

Seriously, what is up with Elminster getting all the hot women? Every novel I read he's cuddled up to someone new. Isn't he like 500 years old? Power isn't everything (and I just get weirded out when old men giggle).

Don't forget that since El "was" a woman for a time....He Really understands them!!

Elmara served a specific purpose. It was supposedly intended by Mystra that "Elmara", as a priestess of the Lady of Mysteries, would ultimately widen Elminster's view of the world. And, more importantly, the change allowed Elminster to travel without drawing attention from his enemies at the time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  20:37:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Don't forget that since El "was" a woman for a time....He Really understands them!!

Bah! Even in a fantasy world with magical sex changes, the concept of men understanding women is still too far out there to be believable.

Word.

I understand them well enough to know always to please them!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  20:39:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's humorous, dangerous, powerful, has an interesting fashion sense...he's evil but for some reason that makes him strangely and unspeakably attractive, if not compatible.

So, a wide brimmed hat with a a big feather and a vest with no shirt on under it might work for some guys?

Somehow I don't think that I could pull off that look myself.

I'm too sexy for my shirt...too sexy for my shirt...

Seriously, what is up with Elminster getting all the hot women? Every novel I read he's cuddled up to someone new. Isn't he like 500 years old? Power isn't everything (and I just get weirded out when old men giggle).

Elmara served a specific purpose. It was supposedly intended by Mystra that "Elmara", as a priestess of the Lady of Mysteries, would ultimately widen Elminster's view of the world. And, more importantly, the change allowed Elminster to travel without drawing attention from his enemies at the time.

*** prepares to sprint in the opposite direction and hide after lobbing this grenade**

Hey there Sage old friend....Sounds alot like your saying that women pose no threat!

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  23:54:53  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he just meant that Elminster was widely known and easily recognized while Elmara was not, because we all know how dangerous women can be...

As for understanding women -yeah right -we don't even understand ourselves.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Edited by - Brynweir on 03 Oct 2007 23:56:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  01:52:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey there Sage old friend....Sounds alot like your saying that women pose no threat!
Heh. I've got patented Lady K "love-bruises" that suggest otherwise.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  02:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

AAAAAAACK! Did you say that just to tick me off?

I hated, hated, hated Phyrea. With a passion. I hate her more than...pretty much every other character that's ever existed.

No, my friend, In no way! Itīs only... well... one of my choices.

I know.

As for Phyrea...well, I've discussed my feelings about her elsewhere, but I WILL say that I longed to step into the pages of the book and kill her myself.

Does that make me evil?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Oct 2007 02:23:50
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  02:31:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think he just meant that Elminster was widely known and easily recognized while Elmara was not, because we all know how dangerous women can be...

As for understanding women -yeah right -we don't even understand ourselves.

Just giving my good friend sage a hard time Bryn

and I understand women enough to not pi** them off!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Heh. I've got patented Lady K "love-bruises" that suggest otherwise.

Ahhh yes...............love-bruises....been there done that

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  02:33:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

AAAAAAACK! Did you say that just to tick me off?

I hated, hated, hated Phyrea. With a passion. I hate her more than...pretty much every other character that's ever existed.

No, my friend, In no way! Itīs only... well... one of my choices.

I know.

As for Phyrea...well, I've discussed my feelings about her elsewhere, but I WILL say that I longed to step into the pages of the book and kill her myself.

Does that make me evil?

No, but it makes me feelbetter because I felt the same way.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  07:53:16  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, this is who you hate. I havent' read it, what did you dislike? Could you give me the link to such vitrol?

And all I can say is....

*Cough*

Imoen, Kyriani, Caladnei, and Alusair.

:-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 06 Nov 2007 07:54:14
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:26:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

quote:

So, this is who you hate. I havent' read it, what did you dislike? Could you give me the link to such vitrol?

And all I can say is....

*Cough*

Imoen, Kyriani, Caladnei, and Alusair.

:-)

I think what she hated echoed my thoughts on Phyrea.

She was a Vapid, selfish, shallow...nay, hollow shell of a character.

No redeeming qualities. Whatsoever. Her lack of substance stains all three books in the watercourse trilogy.

Did I miss anything Rinonalyrna?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  18:10:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No redeeming qualities. Whatsoever. Her lack of substance stains all three books in the watercourse trilogy.

Pretty much the same reaction I had to her... Then again, I really just hated that trilogy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  18:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Pretty much the same reaction I had to her... Then again, I really just hated that trilogy.

I have not read the trilogy, largely because who the author is. All you guys have done is make me want to read it less. Thank you!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  01:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You missed the fact that she's a stupid thief-by-night character as well--a low-rent version of Thazienne Uskevren.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Nov 2007 01:57:24
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  01:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

I have not read the trilogy, largely because who the author is. All you guys have done is make me want to read it less. Thank you!

You're very welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:14:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

You're very welcome.

I still intend to read the trilogy, sooner or later... Not only do I prefer to make my own judgements, but I've seen how some books/trilogies can be loved by some and hated by others. The War of the Spider Queen, the Return of the Archwizards, and certain Harpers novels all come to mind, in this case.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I still intend to read the trilogy, sooner or later... Not only do I prefer to make my own judgements, but I've seen how some books/trilogies can be loved by some and hated by others. The War of the Spider Queen, the Return of the Archwizards, and certain Harpers novels all come to mind, in this case.

Of course you should read the books you really want to read. I don't actually set out to persuade people to do otherwise.

But I really, really hated Phyrea. More than pretty much any other character, ever (seriously).

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  03:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course you should read the books you really want to read. I don't actually set out to persuade people to do otherwise.

But I really, really hated Phyrea. More than pretty much any other character, ever (seriously).

I agree with pretty much everything you hated about Phyrea and the series in general. That being said, I ended up not hating the series on the whole. There were parts that I really liked and I think I said it before, there were many interesting tidbits of lore to build on.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  03:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the "Who's hot" subject, I found it interesting that other than saying she was the most beautiful woman in the Realms, there was no indication of any kind of inner beauty about Phyrea. A hollow shell was a good analogy, we were told she was a pretty shell, but that's about it, there was nothing to back it up. I thought the intent was to create a damaged character that we would care about and want to see saved, but I just wanted to be rid of her.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  15:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Back to the "Who's hot" subject, I found it interesting that other than saying she was the most beautiful woman in the Realms, there was no indication of any kind of inner beauty about Phyrea. A hollow shell was a good analogy, we were told she was a pretty shell, but that's about it, there was nothing to back it up. I thought the intent was to create a damaged character that we would care about and want to see saved, but I just wanted to be rid of her.

It's hard to take seriously any character who described as "the most beautiful woman in the Realms".

And yes, this character had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I hated how the author seemed to want me to feel sorry for a character who was completely undeserving of my sympathy. NOT HOT!

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:43:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vierna Do'Urden - wow. Especially the way the comics made her out to be.; Traeya (sp) - the Fey'ri Spy; Innovidil - Drizzt's better choice of a companion. Sorry to come late to the table, but... having recently reacquainted myself with FR, thought I'd add my opinion.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  20:11:35  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why I didn't think of her sooner, but Asper is really sexy.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  02:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I confess, I'm kinda creeped out about the Halfling's Gem comic adaptations drawings of Cattie-Brie.

It's like looking at a friend's kid sister in a whole different way.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 10 Nov 2007 02:24:51
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  02:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I confess, I'm kinda creeped out about the Halfling's Gem comic adaptations drawings of Cattie-Brie.

It's like looking at a friend's kid sister in a whole different way.

Just out of curiosity, what creeped you out?

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  02:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, realize, I was like ten years old when I first read the Crystal Shard. I'm twenty seven now, so Cattie Brie is like sort of a beloved childhood icon now.

I'd probably feel the same way about sexualizing Laurana from Dragonlance.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  03:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see. Heh.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  04:14:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

. . . and flexible.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  04:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

. . . and flexible.

That's certainly part of her appeal

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  08:07:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As if Elmore and the others haven't already done that?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  14:53:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Elmore, not so much. I don't recall any of his artwork that showed her in anything revealing. The piece with her in the Temple of Takhisis, with her dress shredded to just a loincloth and her leg armor mysteriously gone, was a Caldwell piece (though it lacks the round red gemstone).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Nov 2007 14:54:23
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  15:45:20  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Elmore, not so much. I don't recall any of his artwork that showed her in anything revealing. The piece with her in the Temple of Takhisis, with her dress shredded to just a loincloth and her leg armor mysteriously gone, was a Caldwell piece (though it lacks the round red gemstone).

In a moment of stupidity I actually managed to mix Laurana and Goldmoon. And yes, Caldwell would be a better example than Elmore. Oh I miss the old art.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000