Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What do I read now? Looking for help.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darth Drizzt
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  15:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Darth Drizzt's Homepage Send Darth Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow readers! my first post to this site - my real name is Dave.

I have only read the Dalk Elf Triology and just recently finished the Icewind Dale Triology by Salvatore. I would like to dive into some other realms books but since there seems to be so many different novels/authors within the genre I have no clue where to begin.

So I ask all you Forgotten Realms experts out there - what do you suggest I read next (other than Salvatore's stuff as I plan on reading all his writings eventually). Figuring out what to read in the Forgotten Realms universe seems to be quite a daunting task - so hopefully ya'll can help me out.

Dave (aka Darth Drizzt)....

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  16:14:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, welcome to Candlekeep!

Though we never quite reached a consensus, this is a topic that was discussed at length in the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. Perusing that scroll may be helpful for you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  17:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep Darth Drizzt

If you know anything about They I can recommend Unclean (Author) Richard Lee Byers

It’s a relay good book.

Unclean :
http://www.amazon.com/Unclean-Forgotten-Realms-Haunted-Lands/dp/0786942584

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 04 Sep 2007 17:09:06
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  03:41:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
read em all a couple of my favorite authors are Ed Greenwood, Paul Kemp, Elaine Cunningham.
Go to Top of Page

Darth Drizzt
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  13:48:10  Show Profile  Visit Darth Drizzt's Homepage Send Darth Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome guys -

I think I'm going to go with Paul Kemp for starters. The Erivas Cale character seems intriguing.

Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  00:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sellswords! Its the same author as the Dark Elf trilogy but based around Salvatores Darker characters
Go to Top of Page

TheRealmsWalker
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  19:34:18  Show Profile  Visit TheRealmsWalker's Homepage Send TheRealmsWalker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You certainly can't go wrong with Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale series. Fantastic reading.

Since you have read the Dark Elf trilogy and have been introduced to the drow, you could try the War of the Spider Queen series, which will give you a taste of several of the FR authors.

For a nice standalone novel, I also recommend Ghostwalker by Erik Scott de Bie. Gritty, dark story from one of the new FR authors.
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  22:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, for a stand-alone, you cannot go wrong with Ghostwalker.

Faerun Roleplaying
http://www.faerunrp.com/forum/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  23:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

read em all a couple of my favorite authors are Ed Greenwood, Paul Kemp, Elaine Cunningham.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  09:26:28  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i recommend to read the sembia series before you start with the erevis cale triology. it gives you much info about sembia, the history of the uskevrens and how erevis becomes what he is.

even fantasy has it´s limits
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  04:12:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elf Shadow is a good next choice. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  15:39:15  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
definitely read all the Sembis series before you start the erivis cale trilogy or you will miss a lot of character building. get away from the spine of the world. try to pick a novel that relates somehow to what your'e into right now ie.
like fighters? get ghostwalker or temple hill(city series)
like barbarians? get son of thunder or the netheril trilogy(arcane age)
like clerics? there's not a bad book in the whole priest series
like bards? most of the harper series of stand alone books
like rogues? get the black bouqet or ravens bluff(city series)
like psionics? get venom's kiss(can't remember the series name)
like wizards? all the wizard series are excellent reads(darkvision and bloodwalker are my fav's)and the mage hound trilogy
druids? moonshae trilogy and one of the city series
basically as long as you stay away from most of the nobles series(excluding escape from undermountain and war in tethyr) you can not go wrong.

i hope this helps.

oh and if you don't have spans of time to read, any of the realms anthologies of short stories will introduce you to a wide range of great writers.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  18:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good suggestions thus far, I'll add to them with the Finder's Stone, Erevis Cale, Shadow of the Avatar, and Starlight and Shadows trilogies.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  02:31:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would start at the begining if you can find it.

Darkwalker on Moonshae.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  04:53:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
check out the Harpers line. Many of them branched out to make their own series, but the set is worth the read. 16 total
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000