Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aldani?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  04:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While working up my Chult campaign I found a reference to a dozen aldani who guard Mainu's throne room in the River Olung. I can't seem to find anything on these, does anyone know what they are and/or where I can find info on them?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  05:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember there being a number of references to the lobster-men in the old "Jungles of Chult" adventure module.

I suppose you could try "Serpent Kingdoms" as well (in the section that covers Chult), though I don't think there was really anything about the aldani in that particular source.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 04 Sep 2007 05:58:22
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  08:51:34  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote from the 2nd Ed. Sourcebook The Jungels of Chult, p. 6:

Aldani (Lobster Men)
"In the murky depths of the great rivers of Chult - the Olung, the Tath, and the Soshenstar - the aldani hold court. They appear as man-sized lobsters, though only those who travel to the bottom of the Olung will ever see them, since the aldani never leave the water; they swim like lobsters, but walk upright on two manlike legs. Their faces vaguely resemble men encased in armor, though their eyes extend upon long stalks. The aldani live in groups of 1-20, within a very specific area of the river. They patrol their borders jealously, often accompanied by swarms of 2-20 piranha.
Despite their warlike appearance, the aldani are highly intelligent and quite civilized. They settle disputes with courtly tournaments whenever possible, but when battles occur, they are often to the death. Non-aldani are rarely offered the option of tournament combat."

Hope that helps. Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 04 Sep 2007 09:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  08:57:32  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also on p. 16 of the same book:

"Mainu: The most mysterious and elusive of the barae, Mainu controls the waters and creatures of the River Olung within ten miles of Mezro. She holds court beneath the surface of the murky river, in a throne room guarded by a dozen aldani.
Mainu's body appears to be nothing but a flowing patch of darkness within the river, sometimes taking the form of a voluptuous woman, sometimes the rounded shape of a giant piranha. The only thing constant about her are her golden eyes, which glow like the sun.
Mainu is a stickler for protocol and decorum. She demands all visitors to her watery domain treat her regally."

And on p. 17 an adventure hook to the city of Mezro states:
"Renegade Aldani
When crossing the Olung to enter the city [of Mezro] from the south, a PC drops something of
value into the river. An aldani grabs the item, disappearing into the murky depths before
the explorers have a chance to react.
In order to track the lobster-man, the PCs must visit Mainu's throne room and persuade
her to allow them to search the river. (Note: All visitors to Mainu's underwater throne
room are allowed to breathe water as if it were air.) If the players successfully convince
the protocol-minded bara, she grants them the ability to breathe water for 12 hours, as
well as a charter to move freely in the Olung within 10 miles of Mezro."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  13:51:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I suppose you could try "Serpent Kingdoms" as well (in the section that covers Chult), though I don't think there was really anything about the aldani in that particular source.
No, they didn't. Or rather, I don't recall them receiving any specific attention in Serpent Kingdoms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  15:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, interesting, I originally did a search on my .pdf of Jungles of Chult and it returned nothing. I just did it again and it returned these passages (typo anyone?) Thanks for your help. Now, having clarified that they are "lobster-men," which I thought I remembered from The Ring of Winter, does anyone know if they've ever been statted out? I was thinking of just adapting chuul from the 3e MM...

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  15:59:59  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just searched a massive database of just about all D&D creatures ever (by EN World member Echohawk, http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=202226 for the most up-to-date copy), but couldn't find aldani. The only lobster mention actually is for "lobsterfolk" in the Kingdoms of Kalamar book "Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene." I'll ask over at EN World if anyone's heard of these.

My DnD Links and Creations

Edited by - freyar on 04 Sep 2007 16:43:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  16:53:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Hmmm, interesting, I originally did a search on my .pdf of Jungles of Chult and it returned nothing. I just did it again and it returned these passages (typo anyone?) Thanks for your help. Now, having clarified that they are "lobster-men," which I thought I remembered from The Ring of Winter, does anyone know if they've ever been statted out? I was thinking of just adapting chuul from the 3e MM...

I don't immediately recall any official stats for the aldani being published.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Sep 2007 17:06:25
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  22:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't immediately recall any official stats for the aldani being published.

It certainly appears that is correct. Cool, I'll do it myself.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  15:27:29  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobody at EN World knows, either. Good luck statting these, and let us know!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  04:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

I already did it, and I think it turned out fine. I made them lawful neutral 5HD aquatic humanoids, +4 STR, DEX, and CON, and -2 CHA, favored class fighter, swim speed 20, amphibious, +7 natural armor, 2 1d8 claw attacks, and rend. For Mainu's guards I gave them 8 levels of fighter, improved natural attack, toughness, initiative, and swimming. Weapon focus and specialization for their claw attacks and power attack.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  08:04:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I already did it, and I think it turned out fine. I made them lawful neutral 5HD aquatic humanoids, +4 STR, DEX, and CON, and -2 CHA, favored class fighter, swim speed 20, amphibious, +7 natural armor, 2 1d8 claw attacks, and rend. For Mainu's guards I gave them 8 levels of fighter, improved natural attack, toughness, initiative, and swimming. Weapon focus and specialization for their claw attacks and power attack.

After a quick glance: sounds all good to me, but would not be a higher swim speed be more appropriate for a race livng in the watery element? Compare the swim speed of other aquatic races, e.g. aquatic elves & Skum (40), Kuo-Toa & Merfolk (50), Locathah & Sahuagin (60). Just a thought.......

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  20:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

quote:

After a quick glance: sounds all good to me, but would not be a higher swim speed be more appropriate for a race livng in the watery element? Compare the swim speed of other aquatic races, e.g. aquatic elves & Skum (40), Kuo-Toa & Merfolk (50), Locathah & Sahuagin (60). Just a thought.......

I thought about that, but the Jungles of Chult specifically said "they swim like lobsters" which I thought weird since lobsters swim backwards. Anyway, a lobster can swim backwards at 15-20 feet per second, which for 6 seconds (the length of a round) is 90'-120', and a full round run for the aldani would be 80', a little slower, but I figured they aren't as hydrodynamic with their humanoid legs in the way. Also, I referenced the Chuul since they pretty much look like giant lobsters, and their swim speed was 20 also. Mainu's guards do have the improved swimming feat though, and that doubles their swim speed.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  22:12:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought about that, but the Jungles of Chult specifically said "they swim like lobsters" which I thought weird since lobsters swim backwards. Anyway, a lobster can swim backwards at 15-20 feet per second, which for 6 seconds (the length of a round) is 90'-120', and a full round run for the aldani would be 80', a little slower, but I figured they aren't as hydrodynamic with their humanoid legs in the way. Also, I referenced the Chuul since they pretty much look like giant lobsters, and their swim speed was 20 also. Mainu's guards do have the improved swimming feat though, and that doubles their swim speed.

sounds thought through well.........

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  20:36:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

sounds thought through well.........

I do tend to get a little obsessive-compulsive about minor details .

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000