Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Beshaba and the Hamster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  06:14:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well... It's not certain yet, but it appears that I just lost about 95% of everything I have ever owned -- including all of my game stuff, which was a rather extensive collection.

http://flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070728/BREAKINGNEWS/70728008

I am not a happy camper, right now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  06:36:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Wooly. I'm truly saddened by this news.

This is most unfortunate. Please, let us know if there's anything any of us can do to assist...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  06:38:22  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am truly sorry. This is a

This just sucks, although the article doesn't mention anyone being hurt (a small token blessing, but I'd take what you can in this situation).

as the Sage has pointed out, let us know what we can do to help.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Edited by - Darkmeer on 29 Jul 2007 06:39:28
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  07:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Horrible news indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  07:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really sorry Wooly.
And what about your family ? I hope no one is wounded.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  09:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am truly sorry Wooly Rupert

Please, let us know if we can help

Vic.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  13:01:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I am so sorry to hear this Wooly. Words mean little at a time like this, but that's all I can say.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  14:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm gobsmacked!!

This is absolutely terrible, Wooly This has always been my worst fear and I can imagine how this must have knocked you for six.

I'm very, very sorry to hear of this.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  15:21:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man, that just plain sucks. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  15:27:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really sorry, fuzzy one. Wish there was more that I could do . . . this has to be devastating.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  15:35:14  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's just plain awful Wooly. So sorry for you.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  15:47:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well... It's not certain yet, but it appears that I just lost about 95% of everything I have ever owned -- including all of my game stuff, which was a rather extensive collection.

Shocking news, Wooly. I know I've got some double products in my collection - when I move into my new house in October, I'll see what they are and get in touch with you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  18:28:18  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch... not good news.
Let's hope Tymora also likes hamsters and something can be salvaged...
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  01:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dreadful news! I am so very sorry Wooly! If you let me know what you lost, maybe I can send you a care package with a few replacements. I also have some doubles of things, and Austin has some amazing used bookstores with all sorts of fantastic treasures selling for half cover price; which means paradoxically, the older and rarer they are the lower the price, go figure!
Go to Top of Page

Valaxaxath
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  01:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Valaxaxath's Homepage Send Valaxaxath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing that on news 13. As a fellow resident of brevard county, I'm very sorry for your loss man. Hopefully the place was insured and you can at least replace some of what you lost(although, sadly much of it is probably irreplaceable :*( ).

When you're not regular, eat an elf! They're full of fiber.
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  01:45:02  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, terrible news. I hope something made it through for you.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  02:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm so sorry to hear that. And yes, let us know if there's anything we can do.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  10:58:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ach du scheiße!

Wolly, such a misfurtune! All my sympathy........

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  16:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry to hear this Wooly, I hope you are able to salvage something.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Vanidariaen
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  21:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Vanidariaen's Homepage Send Vanidariaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truly, Wooly, I am very, very sorry!!

http://tom.myhereandhereafter.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  21:45:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, with a subject like "Beshaba and the Hamster", I had a totally different idea in mind (think tube and many urban myths that end up in a hospital). This is not what I expected to hear, and it really sucks. What version of the game are you still using (2nd edition, 3.0, 3.5?), as I may have a few duplicates of some books?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  21:51:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and if there's anything else that might help you(appliances like a TV, toaster, microwave, clothes if you wear big stuff, etc....), I'm betting I have some things cluttering the attic. Just PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Oh, and one thing comes to mind... do you paint minis? I have so many unpainted minis that I'll never do them in my lifetime (or my son's lifetime if I develop the ability to magic jar <g>).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  16:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's horrible news Wooly. If there is anything I can do to ease the loss (gaming or non-gaming wise) just say the word.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 01 Aug 2007 16:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  14:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really sorry to hear about your loss, Wooly! I, too, thought that this topic would be about something more light-hearted (such as your conversion to Beshaba's faith).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Iliana N-letur
Acolyte

Netherlands
13 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  15:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Iliana N-letur's Homepage Send Iliana N-letur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... This was not what I was expecting.
I can just mirror the feelings above.

A small (4'9") moon elf, with odd pale golden hair and startling violet eyes. See her for the first time, there's fair bit of Faerie 'fascinate' involved.
A slightly curved sword and pseudo dragon familiar are never far away.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  00:43:37  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this, my sympathy to you Wooly
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  16:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I've known about this for some time now, this is the first opportunity I have had to express my sympathy for your unfortunate situation Wooly. I was sorry to hear about the subsequent other matter also.

We're still here for you.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  00:14:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update...

Last week, we were allowed to hire salvagers to go sift thru the ash. Some people did recover some stuff. We didn't. All that was surviving in the unit where my books were was some broken ceramics. And that was worse than losing them totally, I think: when I saw these things, I was looking at the remnants of items surrounded by happy memories. They didn't remind me of the good times, they reminded me of what was lost.

One of the guys used my cell phone to snap a picture of the unit. See the link below for the sad remains of 20 years worth of novels, manga, comics, magazines, game books, and assorted action figures.
http://himsheepy.googlepages.com/ashes.JPG/ashes-full.jpg

However... One who wishes to remain nameless has made a generous replacement offer. And another scribe had chosen to offload his extensive collection; he and I are in negotiations for a very sizable chunk of it.

The best news is the news I just got: we're getting a very sizable amount of money from insurance. Not enough to cover everything, but enough that I should be able to replace damn near everything I intend to replace, and still have money left over for other concerns. This makes me a very happy hamster, indeed!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  00:20:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great!

And depending upon what you still may be missing in terms of Realms resources... let me know. There may be a way I can still hook you up with a couple of double copies I have of certain 2e Realms tomes.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  00:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That’s really great… You know after reading your post I made sure that all my stuff was a safe place…

Really glad that it ended out great

Vic

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  00:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so happy to hear the news.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000