Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Halfling, Gnomish and Draconic Alphabets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  05:24:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, we have Espruar, Dethek and Thorass for the three "medium-sized" races; how about the Hin and the Forgotten Folk, and our greedy large reptilian friends who live in caves and hoard treasure?

This came about in our last session last night: one of my players has a high-level halfling wizard and would find it neat to incorporate a purely halfling or draconic rune into his wizard sigil. Don't get me wrong: I think it's fantastic we have three alphabets shown in the FRCS already, but I am wondering if other runes/alphabets have been "written/depicted" in other Realms products.

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  09:03:56  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might lokk at Victors topic here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Far down there are some links to fonds where you may find some usefull ideas. Didn't had the chance to read all, but it seems to be interesting
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  09:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I did find some: Dwarven Dictionary : Elvish Dictionary : Drow Glyps - under Forgotten Realms Dictionary and glyphs

I am still searching to find more.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  21:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not exactly on topic, but something I've been thinking about. There was a discussion, maybe a year ago, about the possibility of using non-base 10 number systems for various non-human races, or old empires (like Imaskar). Nothing was ever really decided, but it was mostly agreed that it would just be too much trouble, and wouldn't be very likely.

About a week ago I mentally revisited the topic, and decided that it was fairly unlikely for any of the standard races to develop a number system other than base 10 because they all have 10 fingers, and number systems at their most basic start as counting on your fingers. But by that logic, it's just as likely that creatures with long histories (so as not to simply copy existing number systems) and more or less than 10 fingers would develop other systems. Dragons were the creatures I thought of, since they are often said to have four fingers on each hand, leading to base 8, but most of the Creator Races could also qualify.

To really explore something like this both DM and players would have to be interested in mathematics, but a slimmed down version wouldn't be too hard. For instance, maybe draconic magic isn't much harder to understand than normal magic, except that all the calculations are done in base 8 with no notation, so humans, trying to do it under base 10, keep getting the wrong "answer" and the spells don't work.

Anyway, not really answering your question, but something to think about.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  22:26:17  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, no halfling or gnomish alphabet in the Realms? what about draconic alphabet? I'm fairly certain that dragons don't use Espruar, Dethek or Thorass as a base for their own alphabet...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  23:04:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say dragons, since the FRCS says so, would use draconic alphabet. :) See page 85.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  23:26:06  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is info about the Draconic langugage starting on page 28 in the Draconimicon. As the only info I have heard of regarding Dragons in the Realms being that they fell from the sky they must use the same alphabet.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  00:53:16  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys misunderstand me.

Please open your FRCS, and go see the page which *shows* what Espruar, Dethek and Thorass *look like*

My question pertained to what the gnomish, halfling and draconic alphabet *actually look like*, and I am surprised that neither the FRCS, nor the Draconomicon, nor Dragons of Faerun has the draconic alphabet listed/showed/artistically rendered/calligraphied...
Go to Top of Page

Azkyroth
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  02:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Azkyroth's Homepage Send Azkyroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wondering if there's any more information on this topic now, since this post came up in a few google searches I was doing trying to find a set of draconic characters myself. I found only a few sources with actual characters, and none of them seemed to relate to the Forgotten Realsm, so I won't clutter the board up with links (though I'd be happy to forward them, PDK, if you still need them).

I'm not enormously familiar with this sort of thing, but if we can't find a set of draconic characters for Faerun online, and we can confirm that Wizards isn't going to release a set of them next month or something, would it be feasible and/or wise for a few interested people to work on creating one, and would anyone be interested in joining such an effort? (Happy to continue this discussion off-site if the mods prefer).
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  05:26:12  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ABSOLUTELY!

How about you tackle the draconic runes while I give a try for the halfling and gnomish runes? As a starting point, I recommend we mimick espruar/thorass/dethek and provide a rune for each letter of the "english" alphabet... (and perhaps a set of numerals as well...)

Some of the dragon articles had trail/wilderness markings, and urban glyphs; I might borrow heavily from these articles.

Let me know how it goes...
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  09:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... for dragonic i think it might be more interesting if the Alphabet more mimiced old asian (chinese/japanese) characters where its a [url=ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logograph]Logography[/url] or [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllabary]Syllabary[/url]

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 11 Aug 2008 09:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Azkyroth
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  10:18:41  Show Profile  Visit Azkyroth's Homepage Send Azkyroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

well ... for dragonic i think it might be more interesting if the Alphabet more mimiced old asian (chinese/japanese) characters where its a [url=ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logograph]Logography[/url] or [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllabary]Syllabary[/url]

That was unnerving. I was actually toying with a similar idea (abugida). Is there any particular evidence from the FR that draconic fits into that pattern, though? (It would explain a bit, such as why Netherese is out of use today despite the Low Netherese influence on many cultures - those systems would be relatively cumbersome for trade and for being learned by others used to alphabets per se.

[EDIT]Just realized Shou also uses Draconic, which suggests another potential source for an alphabet. Anything in Oriental Adventures about that? [EDIT2]It appears my recollection of OA being a Forgotten-Realms-World-expansion specifically was erroneous; never mind.

Edited by - Azkyroth on 11 Aug 2008 10:32:59
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  11:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a thought:

Dragons are partly magical themselves, so draconic "runes" might be beyond our comprehension, i.e. 3-dimensional even when you write them on a flat surface ... with the third dimension only perceivable by people with a certain magical skill or who are using detect magic / read magic.
A slightly different type of runes is "Narnish" from Babylon 5, which is written from right to left. Some runes are seen here (scroll down a bit). This "simple" type of runes might be the basis for draconic runes ... the 2-dimensional part which all can see.

I would think Halfling script might look like a mixture between egyptian Hieroglyphs and Chinese writing, because they have a "down to earth culture" which probably uses descriptive language rather than one which gives names to objects.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 11 Aug 2008 11:20:55
Go to Top of Page

Azkyroth
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  17:44:37  Show Profile  Visit Azkyroth's Homepage Send Azkyroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

Just a thought:

Dragons are partly magical themselves, so draconic "runes" might be beyond our comprehension, i.e. 3-dimensional even when you write them on a flat surface ... with the third dimension only perceivable by people with a certain magical skill or who are using detect magic / read magic.

This is possible but seems surprising, since multiple sources indicate that many arcane magical manuscripts available to humans, and the character sets of several languages, are either written in the Draconic alphabet or one closely derived from it. Right to Left is a definite possibility, though.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  18:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

Just a thought:

That's a great idea. Something that occurred to me is that the magical nature dragons and their incredible longevity could make a two dimensional, physical written form of draconic pointless.

In the real world, written languages were developed as a method of keeping accounts, and of externalizing thought and cultural memory in a way that was not bound by time or geography. Also, it was developed by a species (humans) with a short life span, a limited memory, no magical capacity and little capacity for rapid travel.

Dragons, superior to humans in all these respects, would not feel the same urgency about keeping accounts, passing on knowledge to the next generation or communicating information over distances. Since Dragons could store and transmit thoughts over time and distance by magical means, why would they bother with developing a script?

And scratching out two dimensional runes would be below a Dragon's dignity.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  19:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Afet

And that's a good point, too.

And, I know that this is about the Realms and the Dragons of the Realms, but if you're interested in an interesting take on Draconic literacy, that's just one of many reasons to recommend Naomi Novik's Temeraire books in case you haven't read them.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  21:43:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azkyroth

Just realized Shou also uses Draconic, which suggests another potential source for an alphabet. Anything in Oriental Adventures about that? [EDIT2]It appears my recollection of OA being a Forgotten-Realms-World-expansion specifically was erroneous; never mind.
Strangely enough, the alphabet is one of the few things about Kara-Tur that wasn't RW dirivitive. It is a phonetic system - you can see it here -

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/MarkusTay/ShouAlphabet.jpg

Those symobols look more Egyptian then Chinese to me, but what do I know?

Anyhow, I would hazard to guess that the original Lung peoples of early Kara-Tur probably did have a massive system of charatcers based on individual words (if they had any writing at all), but the Shou interlopers that arrived through Imaskar probably brought the easier phonetic alphabet with them. In fact, I'm fairly certain the Imaskari themselves would have used a script similar to that employed in Zakhara, although I can't find any example of the written form of Midani ATM.

Perhaps those symbols look slightly Egyptian because they are a hybrid of the Imaskari and Shou script, first used in Anok-Imaskar? I would assume some influences from the recently freed Mulan slaves might have worked their way in.

Either Way, I have been pondering weather to make a set of FR runes into vector-graphics for my maps, after coming across so many cool looking ones in FRA. I've never attempted to make a full Font before, but I might be tempted to give it a go...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Aug 2008 21:45:50
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  22:37:40  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Either Way, I have been pondering weather to make a set of FR runes into vector-graphics for my maps, after coming across so many cool looking ones in FRA. I've never attempted to make a full Font before, but I might be tempted to give it a go...

I would love to see that. I would certainly use it IMC if it were available.
Afet.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  22:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PDK, maybe this is something you could ask Ed about. Perhaps he's given this some thought. Do we know who designed the runes shown in the FRCS?

Afet.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  23:32:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Just realized Shou also uses Draconic, which suggests another potential source for an alphabet. Anything in Oriental Adventures about that? [EDIT2]It appears my recollection of OA being a Forgotten-Realms-World-expansion specifically was erroneous; never mind.
Strangely enough, the alphabet is one of the few things about Kara-Tur that wasn't RW dirivitive. It is a phonetic system - you can see it here -

Those symobols look more Egyptian then Chinese to me, but what do I know?

Actually, to me, they look like regular letters, done in an Oriental fashion. It's way too close to the standard English alphabet for my liking. Even if their written language was based on individual sounds, rather than characters like the real-world Kanji, it's not illogical to assume they'd have more or less letters for specific sounds that occur frequently in their spoken language -- kinda like how Spanish has that double-l, or the ñ, or accented letters like é, or how French has letters like ç.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  23:36:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[EDIT2]It appears my recollection of OA being a Forgotten-Realms-World-expansion specifically was erroneous; never mind.

Oriental Adventures and the first few modules in that line were originally set on some unspecified world (some have speculated it was meant to be the other side of Oerth, though I've never seen anything to support that). Later on, everything under the Oriental Adventures banner was tacked on to the Realms. So the early OA stuff doesn't have the FR logo, but it is still -- officially -- Forgotten Realms stuff.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  01:02:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yes, if Shou is based on Draconic, we should base our "True Draconic" on this example... perhaps very similar but more fluid in style..
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  01:05:31  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok... I will try and give it a whirl tonight... starting with the Halfling alphabet!

I shall show you what I have in the morning!

{Mods, Alaundo: is there a space we can upload files here in order to link it for others to see? I'm afraid I've never looked into the pathetic services offered by my ISP... }
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  01:10:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should probably just email the file to Alaundo. Or, alternatively, you could use one of those fancy temporary upload sites [like RapidShare/RapidSpread] that can store files for others to download.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  03:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick thought.

Common in PHB uses Common script. In FRCS, it uses Thorass.
Halfling in PHB uses Common script; ergo, Halflings in FR could use Thorass?

Similar logic leads to Gnomish being written in Dethek.

Doesn't help you find Draconic fonts, but it might help with the gnome's sigil matter.

If you are really stuck on wanting a font, the Daedric font for Morrowind isn't bad, and can be downloaded at http://www.imperial-library.info/daedric/

IIRC, the font only has capital letters when used in a word program though.
Go to Top of Page

Azkyroth
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  04:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Azkyroth's Homepage Send Azkyroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know; I can see them smirking at the fact that they can effortlessly carve an inscription that lesser creatures have to struggle for minutes or hours to create a pale imitation. I can definitely see them being choosy about what they'd write on; perhaps each species of dragon has a single or small group of materials it considers suitable for manuscripts (paper, needless to say, is right out; I'm thinking stone or metal). Anyone like that idea, and/or have any materials to suggest?

quote:

Actually, to me, they look like regular letters, done in an Oriental fashion. It's way too close to the standard English alphabet for my liking. Even if their written language was based on individual sounds, rather than characters like the real-world Kanji, it's not illogical to assume they'd have more or less letters for specific sounds that occur frequently in their spoken language -- kinda like how Spanish has that double-l, or the ñ, or accented letters like é, or how French has letters like ç.

I agree. I think I'll keep the general "feel" of these in mind and try to work backwards from it to something less openly Oriental-style, but using what are essentially stylized Anglo-Roman characters for the language of dragons (or any language in the FR) fails my Suspension of Disbelief check. I vaguely recall one of the symbols of one of the dragon gods having a book with runes in it in at least one version; I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere and maybe start with that as a stylistic guide [EDIT]found it[/EDIT]. Still giving serious consideration to an abugida, but I'm not sure how I'd go about making that a font.

(The first thing I'm going to do is copy and paste those characters together into a message in English; if people with no knowledge of the script can easily read it, I'm probably starting from scratch x.x).

Mod edit: Added quotation marks to make URL coding work properly.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Aug 2008 05:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  07:23:08  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemel

Common in PHB uses Common script. In FRCS, it uses Thorass.
Halfling in PHB uses Common script; ergo, Halflings in FR could use Thorass?

Similar logic leads to Gnomish being written in Dethek.
I almost agreed with you here, except for the fact that the Realms have so many alphabets that are sometimes used illogically... for instance, Halruaan uses the Draconic alphabet, Damaran uses Dethek, and Undercommon uses Espruar (see language section of FRCS). Mulhorandi uses Celestial, while Mulhorandi (Thay) uses Infernal...

I would hesitate to put halflings into the Thorass box, as they have been slaves to the Calim empire (Auran); Gnomes broke free from Netherese (Draconic) slavery to take refuge with the elves (Espruar).

If I had to make a fast ruling, I'd go for Halfling = Auran, and Gnomish = Espruar (especially since Undercommon, used by Svirneblin, is also Espruar)

Thoughts?

PS: this still doesn't solve it for the halflings... What does Auran looks like?!?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  08:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless the slave halflings were used as scribes, they wouldn't have been literate at that point. I think it's much more likely that they'd adapt to the human ways of central Faerûn and write in Thorass.

I wouldn't take the 3E Realms attribution of scripts (many of them newly made up for the game) as solid lore. I'd bank on the Netherese having their own script, for instance.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  08:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani
Afet

Well I was more or less thinking about dragons tracing runes in thin air (which isnt a flat surface). Dragons dont manufacture paper, and writing important things on the walls of their caves doesnt seem right. So I would think they would have to develop a totally different way to write things down (if they do that at all compared to simply remembering everything).

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:55:54  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I wouldn't take the 3E Realms attribution of scripts (many of them newly made up for the game) as solid lore. I'd bank on the Netherese having their own script, for instance.

Hmm... then we may have a problem. Where is the 2E FR canon source on languages? I will go there and compare it with 3E... Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  01:24:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Hmm... then we may have a problem. Where is the 2E FR canon source on languages? I will go there and compare it with 3E... Thanks!

Seek out a copy of the article entitled "Speaking in Tongues" by Tom Costa. 'Twas only published in DRAGON Annual #4. Note that it's a [very interesting] taxonomy, not an in-depth examination of any particular language.

Also, take a look through Ed's compiled replies, as he's covered this subject a few times. And the various 2e 'regional' books, which provide some brief notes on many of the more popular human racial dialects.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Aug 2008 01:25:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000