Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Favored Soul Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  22:25:47  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The RAW restrict a Favored Soul to the spells on the cleric spell list. Does anyone think that allowing a Favored Soul to also be able to pick from his/her deities domain list spells is in anyway unbalancing?

To me it feels right to encourage players to pick from the domain lists for their characters as it moves them more towards what makes the deities different in mechanical terms.

The above idea reagrding domains led me to a thought about modifying the Favored Soul for deities that have little reason to grant energy resistance, what about picking up a domain power from the list granted by the deity? Thinking about this a domain power is a bit of a weak swap for constant 10 point energy resistence. So perhaps a lesser energy resistence of 5 and a domain power?

corrected for spelling mistake.

Edited by - PaulBestwick on 13 Aug 2008 23:28:46

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  23:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A domain power (+ domain spells) is actually a pretty powerful ability, so I would just swap the energy resistance for the power + the spells (which the favored soul can then cast spontaneously). That also makes the favored soul eligible for various prestige classes that require access to any domain (and frequently a specific domain).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  23:37:15  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to be clear I was only allowing the Favored Soul to pick from the various domain lists for his/her deity and not be granted them all automatically.

With those domain powers that modify the turning ability such as the Sun Domain power I was thinking of granting a single turning attempt per day as a cleric of the same level, that does greater turning. The elemental powers I was going to leave as is. Am I being too generous?
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  00:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also trying to be clear, what I would allow your players choose one Domain from their deity's list in place of one of the occurrences of Energy Resistance (most likely from level 10 or level 15). This means that they would have the power and spells (which they can cast spontaneously) from one of their deity's available domains and only have Energy Resistance 10 to two different energy types. I think your ideas on how to implement turning powers from Domains are just fine.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  07:14:30  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I allow Favored Souls to choose their known spells from the Cleric list and two of their deity's domains. I think it's a little unkind to refuse them spells more closely tied to their deity's portfolio. I don't allow the domain powers though, just the extra choice of spells.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000