Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Cleric of Sharess
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  13:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all :)

For the campaign I am soon starting to play in, I wanted to create a cleric of Sharess, since the goddess has always been one of my favourites (mostly for the strange link between her role as a fierce warrior and as a hedonist, but also because, simply said, i love cats!).
Now, I don't want her to conform to the archetype many might have in mind when they think of the clergy - someone who jumps into bed with anyone.
Rather, I want her to be fierce in combat as well as in the pursuit of pleasure but also highlight her wisdom and her innate goodness, someone who also might live a life of promiscuity but still has wise and kind words for anyone, trying not to hurt those she cares about.

I'd love to get some advice from those who might be familiar with this character concept for ways in which to play the character according to my wishes, just small hints or the like.
The stereotype associated with Sharess is quite common in the group i am about to join and I'd love to confound them (not to mention play a great cleric ;)).

Do not knock on Death's door - ring the bell twice and run away.
He hates that.

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  13:11:32  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try to focus on Sharess aspect as Bast the warrior goddess that fight against the evil of Set and other evil. Perhaps see if your DM can have adventures involving the Yuan-ti. One thought is to have her/him as a "Eat, Drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" ideology, with passionate love now for tomorrow we die in battle.

Just a thought.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  14:59:47  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a perfect topic to ask Ed Greenwood about in his thread. He did create Sharess (and of course the Realms) after all, and I personally know he has little notes, one or two paragraphs long, that he typed up years ago as guides for players unfamiliar with a particular deity, so they can play a cleric of that faith. Because they already exist, you might get a quick answer out of him, rather than waiting for months or years.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  15:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea....

He hates that.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  15:34:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing that could be played up, is she may be a flirt/tease. After all, she may enjoy the chase more than she enjoys the catching. At the same time, she may be one who likes to "take" members of the opposite sex... just noone in the party. Thus, she's in a bar with the party, you could state maybe she decides to pick up some random sailor just to get the juices flowing. I couldn't personally play that character without being weirded out, but it would be a way to cut the party trying to constantly say they're taking turns on the character.
Another thing might be that she constantly treats the party members like "her little brothers" or something.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  16:51:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you familiar with the material in 2E's Powers & Pantheons?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  16:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...I read it before posting here, actually.

He hates that.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  00:06:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love cats too. :)

You could portray this character as someone who believes in exploring many different types of love (that is, she doesn't believe there is only one "true love" out there) with many different types of people. She might believe that one-night stands can be meaningful, and perhaps help her become a better lover.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  03:26:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
perhaps there is some way to bring Cat Folk into your campagin. Perhaps Sharess believes them to be her people

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  17:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I run a campaign, and one player's last two characters have been followers of Sharess: 1) a wizard/celebrant of sharess, 2) a werecat ranger/spellfire wielder follower of sharess and member of the eyes of the evening. He's obsessed with her. Moreso since I've had her trapped in the Abyss for some time now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000