Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Howling Delve: Chapters 19 - 24
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  17:33:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Howling Delve (Book 2 of The Dungeons series), by Jaleigh Johnson. Please discuss chapters 19 - 24 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2007 :  11:23:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I continue to enjoy how the Sythillian war is a backdrop and moving factor of events without really taking center stage. It takes a lot of work to make sure that a major event has a presence without making that event "the" focus of a given work.

I also really like how the Cowled Wizards kind of see Amn as slowly going back to magic with the younger generation. It makes sense, and is kind of a parallel with, say, the Vilhon Reach, which had a similar issue with magical plagues and the like and yet now have have arcane magic, supervised, as an aspect of their culture again.

I'll be interested in seeing if Aazen finally confronts his father over his reckless behavior. It seems like he is pushing a bit more than would be prudent, even though his goal has always been to "protect" his family. I also like the idea that Aazen has his "hidey hole" where he goes and plays music, away from everyone, and how protective he is of the place. Even though he is an adult, it bespeaks of a man that has had an abusive past.

I liked how Meisha realized the way she had come full circle in the last few years, when her own words about Kall's father came back to her when she thought of ending Varan's life. Between worrying about Varan and the refugees, she really does seem to have developed quite a bit, and she has become more compassionate. It will be interesting to see how she interacts with Kall and the others when everyone is together again.

I like the interesting backdrop of the dwarves of the Delve, even in death, being playing pieces between Abbathor and Dumathoin. Abbathor is an evil god that hasn't quite gotten his due when it comes to dwarven matters, so its good to see his machinations brought to life.

Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2007 :  23:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I also really like how the Cowled Wizards kind of see Amn as slowly going back to magic with the younger generation. It makes sense, and is kind of a parallel with, say, the Vilhon Reach, which had a similar issue with magical plagues and the like and yet now have have arcane magic, supervised, as an aspect of their culture again.

This aspect of Amn's development was something I really wanted to address in the novel. The more time passes, the more the younger generations are going to want to dabble in magic. It seems inevitable. Not to mention the struggles Amn has faced with the humanoid invasion make it almost imperative that to survive, Amn is going to have to let go of some of its prejudices. It may take years, decades, but I think it will happen eventually.

quote:
I'll be interested in seeing if Aazen finally confronts his father over his reckless behavior. It seems like he is pushing a bit more than would be prudent, even though his goal has always been to "protect" his family.

Yes, Balram is full of "good intentions," but you know how the saying goes... ;)

quote:

I like the interesting backdrop of the dwarves of the Delve, even in death, being playing pieces between Abbathor and Dumathoin. Abbathor is an evil god that hasn't quite gotten his due when it comes to dwarven matters, so its good to see his machinations brought to life.

Dumathion's struggle with Abbathor makes for an interesting dynamic in the dwarven pantheon. Glad you liked it. :)

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  01:43:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

This aspect of Amn's development was something I really wanted to address in the novel. The more time passes, the more the younger generations are going to want to dabble in magic.

I liked that touch, myself. It only makes sense that some people are going to be rebellious, and if enough people are rebellious, their culture can change.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  05:20:58  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
I liked that touch, myself. It only makes sense that some people are going to be rebellious, and if enough people are rebellious, their culture can change.

Exactly. It's going to be a long (and probably messy) road, though.

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000