Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Howling Delve: Chapters 25 - 30 & Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  17:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Howling Delve (Book 2 of The Dungeons series), by Jaleigh Johnson. Please discuss chapters 25 - 30 and the epilogue herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  23:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the book. This novel actually did give me things to think about, such as what one will do (or not do) for their family, whether that family is by blood or adoption. I have to admit--the major monster bad guy was a bit of a disappointment--he just wasn't quite as scary as I was hoping he was going to be. Also, while I liked the characters, I wish we could have delved deeper (heh) into seeing what makes them tick. They definitely have distinct personalities, which is why I want to learn even more about them.

I really like how things are all tied up neatly by the book's ending. We are left with the sense that the end of the book is really a beginning for all the major protagonists in the book (and in some ways, Aazen was a protagonist). Overall, a ponderous but fun read--great job, Jaleigh.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  06:25:05  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
I have to admit--the major monster bad guy was a bit of a disappointment--he just wasn't quite as scary as I was hoping he was going to be.

Fair point. I was looking to Balram to be my "major monster bad guy" more than the creature. ;)

quote:

Also, while I liked the characters, I wish we could have delved deeper (heh) into seeing what makes them tick. They definitely have distinct personalities, which is why I want to learn even more about them.

Yes, that's one of the drawbacks of having a large cast, you only have so much space to devote to getting into a certain character's head. I've heard from different people who each seem to have a different 'favorite' character. Who was your favorite, out of curiosity, or, who specifically did you want to know more about?

quote:

I really like how things are all tied up neatly by the book's ending. We are left with the sense that the end of the book is really a beginning for all the major protagonists in the book (and in some ways, Aazen was a protagonist). Overall, a ponderous but fun read--great job, Jaleigh.

Thank you, Rinonalyrna, for your praise and for your participation. I've enjoyed hearing your take on the book. The comments you and KnightErrantJR have made give me different perspectives, which is very useful considering how close I've been to the book for so long. I'm happy you enjoyed the read. :)

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  23:04:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry it took me so long to finish. Amazing how busy you can be when the kids are home for the summer.

I'm really interested to see if we get to see these characters again. I did feel like the ending was a nice balance between tying up the story here but still setting up the characters for the next phase of their own stories. The book served almost as a prologue to what comes next for all of them.

As far as parents and resolution go, I think its interesting that Kall realized that his father wasn't the man he made him out to be, and in the end he was able to put up the notion just following in his footsteps. Meisha kind of came to terms with the idea that she cared about Varan despite his flaws, and that she couldn't help but care about other people, a fact underscored for her concern about Talal. The only major character with "parent" issues that didn't really "mature" in their notions of their family was Aazen. He understood that his father did what was best for his father first and foremost, and realized how he was used, but he never really got the strength to leave on his own terms. Its interesting that he still learned a lesson, one that might serve him for a while (i.e. don't care about anyone and nobody has power over you).

I liked the understated "love story" between Kall and Cesira. In a way, while he made comments about making gestures towards her, it didn't seem like he could be serious about feeling anything toward her until he resolved who he really wanted to be.

Oh, it was an interesting twist on the "bantering pair" concept to have one of them die, and leave the other really grim and sullen afterwards.

Thank you so much for Garavin. While he got a few humorous comments into the story (such as the running gag with his sister at the start, if it was a bit grim), he wasn't comic relief, and he was also something that we have been told is part of dwarven culture for a long time, but rarely shown in fiction, i.e. a powerful, respected dwarven cleric, and the idea that dwarven clerics are an important aspect of dwarven culture (even if they do spend their time with humans and half elves). The glimpses of Shanatar were great as well, but it definitely leaves me wanting more. I like the idea that we now have some fiction references to southern dwarven kindoms, and not just the kingdoms of the North.

While I really liked the book, I have to admit I was a little let down by the jarilith as well. I'm torn though. I kind of get why it wasn't some powerful, mastermind demon like balor or marilith, because in a way, it was illustrative of Varan's character flaw that he thought he could link himself to the jarilith and not suffer ill for it, and it was an interesting twist that he did this to himself rather than some mastermind demon taking him over by force. But for some reason, jarilith's strike me as more of a shock value juggernaut rather than a lurking terror.

That having been said, I agree, the real monster in the whole situation was Balram, and the real climax was the confrontation with him and the resolution of everything he had orchestrated.

In the end, not only do I want to find out more about Kall and his friends, but even some of the supporting characters really have me interested, such as Garaven, Dantane, and Daen. I want to know more about Amn and how the "relations" with the Sythillian Empire are going, and about how high up into the ranks Aazen manages to make it in the Shadow Thieves. Not a bad outcome by the end of the book.

Here's to hoping we get to see some or all of these characters again. Nice work Jaleigh.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  02:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

Fair point. I was looking to Balram to be my "major monster bad guy" more than the creature. ;)

I think you succeeded in that--I happily hated Balram.

quote:

Yes, that's one of the drawbacks of having a large cast, you only have so much space to devote to getting into a certain character's head. I've heard from different people who each seem to have a different 'favorite' character. Who was your favorite, out of curiosity, or, who specifically did you want to know more about?

I think my favorite had to be Meisha--she came from nothing, grew up up underground under the care of a distant, albeit still somewhat concerned mentor...yet she still managed to become a pretty decent person. I was touched by how hard it was for her to trust others and accept warmth from them, and I also enjoyed her tempermental nature. I'd definitely like to see her explored again. I also would have loved to learn more about Kall and Cesira, and how all these characters interact with each other on a regular basis.

quote:

Thank you, Rinonalyrna, for your praise and for your participation. I've enjoyed hearing your take on the book. The comments you and KnightErrantJR have made give me different perspectives, which is very useful considering how close I've been to the book for so long. I'm happy you enjoyed the read. :)

You're very welcome.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  19:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
Thank you so much for Garavin.

You're most welcome, I'm glad you liked him. He is definitely a special character to me. I wish I could write a whole book about his life before the events of the novel.

quote:

Here's to hoping we get to see some or all of these characters again. Nice work Jaleigh.

Thank you. :) I appreciate your detailed comments, KnightErrantJR. In almost all aspects of your observations, you got exactly what I wanted readers to get out of the novel. As I said to Rinonalyrna, having that outside perspective is valuable after you've been close to a project for so long.

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000