Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Banks in Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  21:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any banks ore other ways of storing big amount of gold in the realms, and where?

How do for example nobles in Cormyr / Waterdeep store their gold.

And of cause which ways are safe to store gold fore an adventure?, I know you can buy gems and other stones but I am seeking knowledge of banks and other safe houses.

It this question has been asked before please give me the link.

In advance Thanks

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  22:14:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not recall this quetion being answered before, but like in most answers it varies.

As to Nobles, they can build their own strong houses to store their wealth or pay somebody else o store it.

Banks like getting a 20 year mortgage would not likely exist at all. Am old BD&D game did have in effect pawn beokers, they would lend money on part of the value of goods left with them. I believe there was a one time fee for the advance.

A modern approach does not apply, the concept of paying interest on funds intrusted to another is unheard of (at least by me), the funds need to be protected from theivies which costs money does not earn money.

At least this is my understanding.

Of course the poorer people would need to hide their treasure as they can not afford to pay somebody to guard it.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  22:14:46  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my experience, if one is not going to be investing their gold in business ventures, there are a couple of options for "hording."

1) Rent space in the vault of a powerful merchant or local ruler.

2) Deposit your currency at a temple. Temples of Waukeen are particularly favorable towards this activity and in all meaningful ways can probably double as banks. Temples of Helm come in at a close second since their security is excellent, their religion is pervavise, and they like to guard stuff.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  22:33:59  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Banks like getting a 20 year mortgage would not likely exist at all. Am old BD&D game did have in effect pawn beokers, they would lend money on part of the value of goods left with them. I believe there was a one time fee for the advance.

A modern approach does not apply, the concept of paying interest on funds intrusted to another is unheard of (at least by me), the funds need to be protected from theivies which costs money does not earn money.

Only way this might work would be with liberal uses of the Geas spell.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  23:18:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are bankers in Sembia... And the book Night Parade mentions some sort of secure storage facility in Calimport.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  23:43:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also say that moneychangers, like Mirt, would do the same type of activities that banks in modern times do.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 May 2007 23:45:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  00:50:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are merchant companies, enterprises and trading costers, that people in the Realms use to invest their money in, as well as agents who handle the investments and manage the financial transactions. There are people who will hide and/or protect your money, for a fee of course, and there are rentable storage spaces in various cities and other locales, as well as moneylenders and money-changers.

The locales that Wooly describes from The Night Parade function like "cache-houses"... existing as businesses equipped with what can only be assumed to be safe deposit boxes.

Ed's noted a rather integrated "bank" and "moneychanging" system at work in Delzimmer. See his Elminster Speaks articles at WotC.

As well, Waukeenar do, in fact, tend to run some of their temples as "moneylending" locales... within large cities across the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 May 2007 00:50:44
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  01:15:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there was similar discussion on this a while back, that pertained to banks early RW time. very interesting. I remember finding and attaching a link for some info.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  23:47:30  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humour:

Imagine the PCs raidind a dungeon owned by an evil villain,disarming deadly traps, fighting hideous monsters, and finally a dramatic and epic struggle with the villain himself,

and then they find no vault or treasure just a piece of paper with a name and an account number from a bank

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 26 May 2007 23:49:33
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  23:56:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you mean the fireball did not burn the nonmagical scroll? *wink*

Letters of credit clearlty existed in RW and it tends to follow that for something like this a letter of credit, with proper seal, would be accepted in the Realms. Hey in the skill to forge or detect forgery it is designed to detect valid papers. Treaties often contain terms of money exchange, for one reason or another. It clearly follows that merchant grouops would use a simalar modle. In fact there has been much discussion about adventuring contrats already here at Candlekeep.

Letters of Credit should not be outside the realm of conduct of creatures that live in the Realms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  06:59:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Melvos Hammerstars columns mentioned letters of credit...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  11:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I believe the Melvos Hammerstars columns mentioned letters of credit...

Thanks all fore enlighten me on this issue

The Melvos Hammerstars columns ? hmmm. ahh where do I find those

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 27 May 2007 11:48:11
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  12:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

The Melvos Hammerstars columns ? hmmm. ahh where do I find those

Maybe he alluded to theses tomes of knowledge:

Part one, Part two, etc. until part eight; all of them can be found here.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 27 May 2007 12:06:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000