Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Happened to Zhentil Keep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  18:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

I was wondering how was the northern part of Zhentil Keep destroyed? I understand that there was a battle of two deities (I forget which two) in the ToT that caused it, but what exactly happened to it? e.g. was there a big explosion or something?-)

What events led to the battle? And why was it fought there instead of some place else?

Just the short version will do. I just need enough info to pass the gist of it on to my PCs :)

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  20:26:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the answer is quite complicated, a download of The Ruins Of Zenthil Keep box (2ed.) would answer all of your questions, but I will try to give you an idea. Bare in mind I am working from memory here. The battle between the two deities (Torm and Bane)was near Tantras.

The catastrophe in Zenthil Keep was a result of the machinations of Cyric trying to manipulate the other gods and citizens of the city some years later. This involved both his divine power and an army of giants, gnolls and white dragons. The plan failed for several reasons to long to get into here, but involved Mystra, Fzoul and the artifact the Cyrincaed (sp?). When Cyrics plan failed he destroyed the temple and the enemy army ravaged parts of the city. The Zentharim managed to get their most important members out of the city via gates.

The siege and destruction continued for some time, but as the horde dissolved and Lord Orgauth was able to organize the defence the citizens where able to regain control of the northern part.
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  22:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
The catastrophe in Zenthil Keep was a result of the machinations of Cyric trying to manipulate the other gods and citizens of the city some years later. This involved both his divine power and an army of giants, gnolls and white dragons. The plan failed for several reasons to long to get into here, but involved Mystra, Fzoul and the artifact the Cyrincaed (sp?). When Cyrics plan failed he destroyed the temple and the enemy army ravaged parts of the city. The Zentharim managed to get their most important members out of the city via gates.

By the temple, do you mean the temple of Bane? Was it different than the current temple?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  23:14:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the damage was wreaked by Giants and Dragons that Cyric manipulated to do his bidding.
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  02:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. This was still the temple to Cyric. All other faiths were declared heresies in those days.

Check the novel Prince of Lies and/or the Ruins of Zhentil Keep Box.

Edited by - Dalmar Amad on 20 May 2007 02:47:10
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  09:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty, I think this'll do well enough. Thank you everyone, I appreciate it! :)
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  15:01:25  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a writeup I did for my own campaign.

Fall of Zhentil Keep

In the last three days of the year (1368), Fzoul Chembryl reads aloud from the True Life of Cyric, revealing the dark god's betrayal of his faithful at Zhentil Keep. It is revealed that it was Cyric who summoned the horde to sack Zhentil Keep. While attending the reading ceremony at The Black Alter, Cyric’s temple, led by Fzoul, Xeno Mirrormane (High Priest of Cyric), is struck by powerful divine fire. The flames devour him, and then proceeded to the same to the temple. Fzoul subsequently flees the falling city along with much of the Zhentarim’s high command.

The orcish armies that served in the Zhentilar, resentful of their mistreatment under Cyric, rebelled and retreated from the Keep to the foreign quarter on the southern shores of the city. In their retreat they blew the Tesh Bridge and the Force Bridge. This cut off the southern portion of the city. Ironically this act of destruction has saved that portion of the city.

The horde that was summoned consisted of giants, dragons, goblins, and gnolls. The frost giants and dragons withdrew nearly immediately after the city was sacked. The humanoids remained in the northern portion of the city for about four months.

Administrators estimate that the population of Zhentil Keep before the Fall was at 82,000. Just prior to the fall there are rumors that thousands of people vanished throughout Zhentil Keep. They were believed to be agents of Zhentil Keep’s enemies, and were rescued by their gods. Thousands more fled through the city gates to the south; this included mostly families and foreigners. The death toll in the city, all told, was about 42,000 people. The southern section of the city now holds a population of about 17,000, and the northern section has 2,500 that still dwell within the ruins.

The southern section of the city is giving the Zhents a place to house the workers that are rebuilding the city.

In the first month of the siege, the populace eats their stores including any livestock found within the walls, including horses and dogs. It is also reported that a force sent by the Citadel of the Raven was destroyed as it approached Zhentil Keep. With the siege not being lifted, the harbor frozen, unusually cold winter, and very few caravans running the blockade, starvation begins to set in after two months.

I wrote the above to include the knowledge that a citizen living within Zhentil Keep would have learned. I got most of the information from the Ruins of Zhentil Keep box set.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 20 May 2007 15:10:08
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  15:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent writeup, Wenin! Muchos thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000