Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Door to Door Heritics (Heretic of the Faith)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  04:07:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Eric Boyd has come up with a brilliant little rule with his Heretic of the Faith feat. I don't think I have read a feat that has triggered so much imagination . . . well, ever. So what I wanted to do was to get the ball rolling and see if anyone has already come up with their own heresies using this feat yet.

I would love to see some of the other ideas floating around with my fellow scribes, and I think it might be pretty useful for some of us to see what direction our fellows can take this.

Thanks Eric!

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  04:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im actually playing around with an article Ive called "Heretics and Infidels" for Candlekeep

So far Ive come up with the following which could be either Heretics or Severnats of the Fallen

The Arcane Purity Heresy

An order of Monks, Clerics and Wizards who work out of the the Abbey of the Martyred Goddess in Northern Cormyr (my creation.)They believe that morality is irrelevant when it comes to the arcane and that Midnight is a false goddess for allowing her values to effect church dogma. Followers of the Arcane Purity Heresy follow the LN teachings of Mystra 1.0. The Abbey is also the home of "Mystra's Children"

The Life and Death Heresy

Led by a NE Cleric of Kelemvor who teaches that for every life ressurected another must be snuffed out. For every hurt healed a hurt must be inflicted life and death must equal out (This one was inspire by episode of the TV show the Supernatural)

Maztican Heresy

This is the Heresy that those Helmite who went to Maztica and commited atrocities in Helms name believed in. (I havent fleshed this one out much yet)

The Melissan Heresy

A bunch of LE followers of Cyric and Bhaalist who believe that Bhaal will be reborn through one of the Bhaalspawn.

The Mistshadow Heresy

CG and CN "followers" and "Clerics" of Cyric who believe that Leira killed Cyric (Or that Cyric never even truely existed) and tricked the world into believing she was dead

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  15:54:27  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im actually playing around with an article Ive called "Heretics and Infidels" for Candlekeep

The Melissan Heresy

A bunch of LE followers of Cyric and Bhaalist who believe that Bhaal will be reborn through one of the Bhaalspawn.

The Mistshadow Heresy

CG and CN "followers" and "Clerics" of Cyric who believe that Leira killed Cyric (Or that Cyric never even truely existed) and tricked the world into believing she was dead

Where did the name Melissan originate from? I was thinking along the same lines for the Mistshadow Heresy but the heresy states that Cyric killed an illusion and he only thinks he is in control. I am a sucker for Leira....sue me.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  17:12:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be a grand illusion if Leira wasn't really dead, and had only faked her death...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  17:59:09  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
Where did the name Melissan originate from?

Melissan was the Big Bad in Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal.

However, she wasn't a Bhaalspawn. She was just one of the surviving muckity-mucks in Bhaal's clergy. She was having the Bhaalspawn kill each other so that the Bhaal essence within them was released. She then had a big ice cream maker thing that would then infuse her with the freed Bhaal essence so that she could be the next Lord of Murder (MUAHAHAHAH!!!).

It was all kind of strange.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  00:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melissians is from the Baldurs Gate PC games

The Mistshadow Heresy is led by the person Leira possessed during the Time of Troubles (Who may or may not have the powers of a Chosen I havent decided yet)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  13:50:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Eric Boyd has come up with a brilliant little rule with his Heretic of the Faith feat. I don't think I have read a feat that has triggered so much imagination . . . well, ever. So what I wanted to do was to get the ball rolling and see if anyone has already come up with their own heresies using this feat yet.

I would love to see some of the other ideas floating around with my fellow scribes, and I think it might be pretty useful for some of us to see what direction our fellows can take this.

Thanks Eric!

You're welcome. I look forward to more contributions to this thread.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  15:37:45  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can not believe how long it has been since I have played the games or read the books. Must revisit the BG series as soon as I finish the Pools series.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  19:33:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Mistshadow heresy is wonderful. I can definitely see it being held forth in Nimbral (where Leira's worship was most strong). To add an additional layer onto this, perhaps she let this belief occur so that she could try to steal shadows from Mask... and work her way into the shadow weave? After all, she is a goddess of illusion magic. The fact that she struck down Cyric with an illusion (or lie if you will), just makes her revenge that more sweet (after all, he threatened Mystra and the weave). Perhaps each death of a Cyricist fighting another Cyricist over their beliefs (a lie), further strengthens the goddess Leira.

Of course, I'll post some other heresies of my own, let me think for a bit.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  22:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So far Ive come up with the following which could be either Heretics or Severnats of the Fallen

The Arcane Purity Heresy

An order of Monks, Clerics and Wizards who work out of the the Abbey of the Martyred Goddess in Northern Cormyr (my creation.)They believe that morality is irrelevant when it comes to the arcane and that Midnight is a false goddess for allowing her values to effect church dogma. Followers of the Arcane Purity Heresy follow the LN teachings of Mystra 1.0. The Abbey is also the home of "Mystra's Children"

Led by a NE Cleric of Kelemvor who teaches that for every life ressurected another must be snuffed out. For every hurt healed a hurt must be inflicted life and death must equal out (This one was inspire by episode of the TV show the Supernatural)

Maztican Heresy

This is the Heresy that those Helmite who went to Maztica and commited atrocities in Helms name believed in. (I havent fleshed this one out much yet)

The Melissan Heresy

The Mistshadow Heresy

Wonderful stuff, Dargoth This is the kind of lore I am looking for here at Candlekeep. Hopefully we will see this article of yours soon!

And my deepest thanks to Eric, too! We've seen so many feats that concentrate on min/maxing your character with different types of bonuses, but this feat truly will have a major impact on many campaings, and offers DMs a whole new field of religious possibilities

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  02:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

The Arcane Purity Heresy

Maztican Heresy

The Melissan Heresy

The Mistshadow Heresy

Wonderful stuff, Dargoth This is the kind of lore I am looking for here at Candlekeep. Hopefully we will see this article of yours soon!

And my deepest thanks to Eric, too! We've seen so many feats that concentrate on min/maxing your character with different types of bonuses, but this feat truly will have a major impact on many campaings, and offers DMs a whole new field of religious possibilities

The Arcane Purity Heresy is almost done it includes 2 Racial feats (Axiomatic Bloodline and Critical strike)and 1 Organisation feat (Monk of the Arcane Fist), a map of the Abbey of the Martyred Goddess, a Stat block write up for the Abbey (including Favoured in Guild Benefit)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  03:57:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Arcane Purity Heresy is almost done it includes 2 Racial feats (Axiomatic Bloodline and Critical strike)and 1 Organisation feat (Monk of the Arcane Fist), a map of the Abbey of the Martyred Goddess, a Stat block write up for the Abbey (including Favoured in Guild Benefit)

I'm sure you know this, but make sure to include the legal alignments, the domains, the favored weapon, and the weapon of the deity, as done in PoF.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  12:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I'm sure you know this, but make sure to include the legal alignments, the domains, the favored weapon, and the weapon of the deity, as done in PoF.

Ah thanks for reminding me Eric

The Order had originally been written up in the City of Splendors organisation format

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  14:47:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, got a few seconds to breathe at work. Here's some stuff that came in off the top of my head.

Followers of the True Song - These followers of Milil believe that the universe was created by song, and if one learns to sing the true song one can learn to alter the universe by altering its chords. Thus some have stumbled upon truename magic.

Mellifleur reborn - These followers of Velsharoon believe that Mellifleur had remained hidden ever since the time of troubles, but that he required a being of great power to recreate the ritual which had elevated him to godhood in the first place in order to regain his deific power (Ao had never restored Mellifleur for various reasons that are varied even amongst the followers of this heresy)

Velsharoon as Bane's savior - These followers of Velsharoon hold that the red wizard Velsharoon discovered the rite of lichdom that Mellifleur had enacted millenia before. However, Bane being dead, the red wizard needed to steal his power from another deity. Velsharoon worked out a deal with Talos to help him destroy the demi-god Malyk and use that deities absorbed divine energy to power Velsharoon's own ascension. Velsharoon then found Mellifleur's ancient phylactery (wherein Mellifleur had lain entrapped since the time of troubles) and re-enacted the rite. This destroyed Mellifleur, but released the deific energy which Mellifleur had stolen from Bane (a side effect Velsharoon had not realized, but that Talos may have actually been counting on). This release of Bane's energy was what ultimately led to the resurgence of Bane as a deity (or perhaps it was sought out and seized upon Xvim?).

Entropy is the intellect of a god infused into an artifact - Its known as the god swallower because it was used by an Imaskari sorceror to actually destroy a god during the struggle between the Imaskari and the Mulhorandi gods. However, what the Imaskari mage had not counted on was that it would absorb the mind of the deity. The god now hates all wizards and has gone insane.

Entropy is an overlarge sphere of annihilation that is also an intelligent magic item - A powerful wizard of Imaskar created this sphere of annihilation and imbued it with intelligence. A priest of Talos then imbued the item with intelligence and a special purpose to destroy arcane spellcasters.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  17:25:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some great ideas so far . . . thats why I love this feat.

Some ideas (not in full format, of course):

The Elven Fate Heresy: This particular heresy has to do with Araushnee, the elven goddess of fate. According to this heresy, Araushnee saw the fate of the elves, including the banishment of the dark elves, and she decided to split herself into two aspects. Her darker aspect, Lolth, was created to guide the dark elves, as she knew their path would lead to dark and evil ways, and she needed to be with them as they explored this path.

According to the heresy, there is a great fate awaiting the elves, and eventually, Araushnee will bring the races back together, with all of their dispartiate skills and talents. However, the surface elves misunderstood Araushnee's action, and have nearly completely abandoned her.

Members of this heresy practice in secret, never allowing other elves to know their affiliation. They are constantly looking for the means of dicerning their fate, and what role they may play in the great destiny of the elves. They also look for signs of Lolth rejoining Araushnee, and returning the drow to the surface, and some beleive that Lolth's recent silence and rebirth is the first sign of this reunification.

Followers of this heresy never pick Lolth's Chaos or Evil domains, and most often choose from Destruction, Darkness, and Trickery, to aid in their secretive cult status. They may swap out one of their domains normally allowed for Lolth with either Planning or Fate. They may use a staff as the weapon of their deity.

Most members of this heresy are True Neutral in alignment, and this cult has members who are drow, working to move their people foward from within, and elves, working to prepare surface elves for reunification with their kindred.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  17:38:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Father of Greatness Heresy: This is a heresy that teaches that Moradin, the father of dwarves, is somewhat less benevolent than shield and gold dwarves generally see him. Instead, Moradin created several races of dwarves with various traits, in order to test the other dwarven races. Moradin expect them to strive against one another, until there is only one victorious, grand dwarven race.

Members of this heresy actively try to bring shield, gold, and duergar factions into conflict with one another, as well as going out of their way to encourage more ambition in other dwarf related races, such as Urdunnir and even creatures like Azer.

The hammer is still the favored weapon of this heresy, but members of this heresy can swap out one of Moradin's traditional domains for one of the following domains: Fate, Tyranny, or Retribution. Members of this heresy are often Lawful evil.
Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  12:43:46  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few other possibilities:

Dark Vengeance Heresy: While all followers of Shevarash are consumed by the desire to destroy the drow and their dark gods, a few also see it as their duty to inflict as much suffering and loss on their dark elven foes as possible. This heresy was originally introduced to the faith by the manipulations and seductions of priests of the dark goddess, Shar, and it is whispered that the Mistress of the Night wishes to convince her elven ally to encourage all his worshippers to adopt these views. Some outside the the faith believe Shar's eventual aim is to bring Shevarash's followers into conflict with those of Eilistrae, and by extension the Lady of the Dance's close ally and Shar's hated enemy, Selune.

Dark Vengeance heretics have access to the Chaos, Elf, Strength, and Suffering domains. They employ the favored weapon and weapon of the deity (MoF) of Shevarash. Cleric believers in this heresy must be chaotic evil.

Fury of War Heresy: The Furious Warriors, as they have come to be known, are followers of Garagos who believe that during their god's long absence following his defeat by Tempus, he was “adopted” by Talos and the other gods of fury. Heretics of this cult see their god as having close ties with Malar in particular, that deity’s blood-lust being the perfect accompaniment to the rage Garagos encourages in all his worshippers.

Furious Warriors have access to the Evil, Chaos, Destruction and Strength domains. They employ the favored weapon and weapon of the deity (MoF) of Garagos. Cleric believers in this heresy must be chaotic evil.

Shadow Oak Heresy: Followers of Silvanus will sometimes resort to violence to disrupt civilization’s encroach into woodland, but some take their attitude toward civilization beyond dislike into hatred. Heretics of the Shadow Oak consider civilization to be a blight on the world which must be wiped out. Even more so than other worshippers of Silvanus, they hold a special enmity for followers of Chauntea, and some have even considered proposing an alliance with the clergy of Talos and the other gods of fury. Druids are the most likely to be drawn into this heresy, but rangers and clerics are not uncommon.

Shadow Oak heretics have access to the Animal, Fire, Plant, Storm and War domains. They employ the favored weapon and weapon of the deity (MoF) of Silvanus. Cleric, druid and ranger believers in this heresy must be chaotic neutral or neutral evil.

Edited by - nb_nmare on 06 May 2006 12:09:17
Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2006 :  11:30:57  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's three other possible heresies. The Black Triad heresy is completely my own invention, the Darkcloak heresy is of course based on the Darkcloak speciality priest in the 2nd Edition book Warriors and Priests of the Realms, and the False Triad heresy is an attempt to explain why the Noble Order of the Radiant Heart in Baldur's Gate 2 serves Tyr, Torm and Helm.

I've also updated the three heresies in my previous post with domain and alignment info, and given the Nature's Vengeance heresy a better name (it is based on the shadow druids in the Complete Druid's Handbook, after all).

Black Triad Heresy: The Brotherhood of the Black Triad are a loose coallition of Banites who follow a set of ideals directly opposed to those of the Triad, rather than the true dogma of Bane. It is said that the Brotherhood was founded by a Banite cleric who was once a high priest of Tyr, and indeed many current believers in the heresy are former followers of Tyr, Torm and Ilmater who succumbed to the pull of evil. The Brotherhood strives to spread injustice, selfishness, treachery, rebellion, desertion, weakness, submission, and suffering wherever they can, even among other clergy of Bane... and sometimes even amongst themselves.

While typical Banites engage in overt, forceful tactics, heretics of the Black Triad greatly prefer the use of manipulation and subterfuge. The fact that their beliefs and tactics have similarities with those of the church of Shar is not lost on the Brotherhood, and some Brothers of the Black triad would be willing to work with members of Sharran clergy, given the opporunity.

Brothers of the Black Triad have access to the Evil, Destruction, Hatred, Suffering and Trickery domains. They use a longsword as a favored weapon, and their weapon of the deity (MoF) is a +1 unholy longsword. Cleric believers in this heresy must be neutral evil or chaotic evil.

Darkcloak Heresy: Heretics of the Darkcloak cult believe that life is full of pain, and only the emotional oblivion of Shar makes it tolerable. Unlike the rest of their brethren, the darkcloaks actually have compassion towards the sufferers of mental anguish. Preferring to cultivate a reputation as mysterious folk, the darkcloaks frame their oracular proclamations in obscure riddles and mysterious symbols. The Darkcloaks function as oracles and care-givers to the emotionally damaged, and bring the bliss of forgetfulness to such troubled souls. In some parts of the Realms, the Darkcloaks have actually made some progress in seeing Shar's faith become a socially acceptable one.

Darkcloak heretics have access to the Charm, Darkness, Knowledge and Mentalism domains. They employ the favored weapon and weapon of the deity (MoF) of Shar. Cleric believers in this heresy must be neutral.

False Triad Heresy: Heretics of the False Triad believe it is Helm, not Ilmater, who serves as the left hand of Tyr. This heresy has existed amongst particularly militant worshippers of Torm, Tyr and Helm - especially paladins - for centuries, but the rise of the Cult of Shared Suffering shortly after the Time of Troubles lead to increased popularity for the False Triad. Members of this cult generally don't hate Ilmatari (other than members of the Cult of Shared Suffering), but neither do they consider them worthy allies. While believers in this heresy still hold true to most tenets of the true triad, they place the direct confrontation and defeat of evil above all other duties.

Clerics of Helm who have the Initiate of Helm feat (PG) and believe in this heresy qualify for the Mark of the Triad feat (CoV) and the Triadic Knight prestige class (CoV).

Clerics of Helm who believe in the heresy have access to the Law, Protection, Strength and War domains. Clerics of Torm who believe in this heresy have access to the Good, Law, Nobility, Strength and War domains. Clerics of Tyr who are believe in this heresy have access to the Good, Law, Retribution, Strength and War domains.

Clerics of all three faiths employ the favored weapon and weapon of the deity (MoF) of their respective god. Cleric believers in this heresy must be lawful good.

Edited by - nb_nmare on 11 May 2006 20:56:16
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  19:20:28  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless I'm mistaken, Fzoul Chembryl was originally a Banite Heretic having broken from the Orthodox Banite Dogma (All shall kneel to BANE!) and instead believing that Banites should instead SUPPORT tyranny. Since being risen to the status of a Chosen, I presume that Fzoul's is now the Orthodox position, and what was formerly Orthodox is now a Heresy.

Further, there is some lore stating that the Church of Helm used to be headed by a pontiff-like figure. Couldn't there be a Helmite Heresy calling for a new pontiff (or supporting a candidate)?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  20:18:33  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
knight, I am seething with intrigue,at the notion
Of Araushnee's splitting. It is a heresy that could become dear to my heart. Because as a Goddess of fate and destiny,it makes sinse for her to see into the future and prepare for the consequences of her actions. Your heresy is such that even I would wish for its success!

purge all weakness in the cleanzing flame of
rightousness.tear down the false idols of love,compassion,and self-sacrifice.down with the tyranny of the seldarine
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  15:24:48  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's two Elven Heresies that could be connected with Corelleon Larethian. Enjoy.

The Corelleon's Divine Rule Heresy

Domains: Community (CDiv), Elf, Good, Law, Magic, Nobility, War
Cleric Alignment: LN, LG, NG
Weapon and Weapon of diety: Keen Longsword

Looking into the past there are some elves that believe that their society could not emerge from dieties that were inheriently chaotic, that only those of great loyalty and duty could allow the elves to rise to the top of the world they experienced in the past. That the king of the elven dieties had to be a divinity of a just and noble rule who's worshippers have been missed lead by other into the chaotic path that it has taken today. The main statement of this faith path is that Corelleon Larethian is a lawful diety, one of community building and noble virture. They look to the chaotic worshippers of their god as a group of well-meaning but misunderstanding people who must be educated in the truth yet forgiven for their mistakes.

This heresy is popular with those of high status like nobles (especially Gold elven higher ups), those that support the laws of the elven nations and a rare oder of elven paladins.

Behind the scenes: Corelleon currently ignores this heresy as he believes that as long as they help the elven people and commit not evil acts in his name, that his children are open to their own opinions of him. He knows that chaos is inherited in most elves' natures, so he has little fear at the moment of being transformed into a lawful diety. The little tending that he does with the heresy and the main faith is to keep agreeable with each other.

Author's notes: I tried to focus on the aspects of law, royalty and community for this heresy as the first two tend to be connected with law and order and the later seems to be something that can grow out of the former. Community is a domain given to Corelleon in Complete Divine for Greyhawk, but if you do not have the domain in one of your books try replacing it with Protection as that is one of the original domains.

The Corelleon's Cleansing Heresy

Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Elf, Magic, Suffering, War
Cleric Alignment: CN, CE
Weapon and Weapon of diety: Keen Longsword

This faith believes that Corelleon wants the destruction of the vermin of the world especially those that are known by the name human. They believe that after a time of being ignored by their god the have convinced him that they have the greatest plan of elven safety at their hearts. Plus he has given them better tool for the destruction of humans as well as a method of causing pain to their foes for the pains that they have cause their elven brothers and sisters.

This heresy is popular among the Eldreth Veluuthra and a gathering collection of clerics of this faith are gaining divine powers. Their powers tends not to the healing so they tend to learn plenty of cure spells and then convert them to inflict spells to use against humans and their allies.

Behind the Scenes: The heresy is not supported by Corelleon and his true priests are tasked to destory all of the alters to this faith as well as to stopping these worshippers by any means necessary. The divine power that is behind this faith is one that is looking to make Corelleon look bad in front of all the other dieties as well as start a war between humans and elves which could spread to other races as they are forced to take sides. Possible dieties behind the this heresy is Lolth, Malar, Talos, Shar or Cyric to name a few.

Author's notes: I focused on given this heresy a pain and death message, but with an alteration of switching the Suffering domain for Charm or Domination (Complete Divine, Draconimcron) you could ahve a heresy devoted to forcing elves to accept their message. Another option is try attaching a human bane feature to the Weapon of the Deity spell instead of the Keen ability which is Corelleon's nature weapon of the diety effect.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 23 Feb 2007 15:30:51
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  18:05:26  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I read through this thread again - and then looked at all teh books w/ Eric's name on them (as well as some others) and could not find where this feat came from!

Also, as an aside - has there been an Initiate of Lathander feat printed yet?

Thanks!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  18:18:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has - I think it's in Player's Guide to Faerûn but since I haven't got my books with me I can't be sure.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  18:47:02  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dhomal and Kajehase, yes in PGtF on page 80 there is an Initiate of Lathander.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  20:31:14  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

thanks - found that one - now - how about Heretic of the Faith? I would guess its in teh same place as 'Servant of the Fallen" - but I'm not sure where that one is either!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  20:55:19  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heretic of the Faith can be found in Power of Faerun on page 46. Not sure about Servant of the Fallen as search doesn't work to well on it and it's not in the contents of the book.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  21:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Servant of the Fallen is from Lost Empires of Faerûn, page 9.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  06:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a start of a heresy I've been designing. It's not complete, but you get the basic idea

Fangs of Death Heresy

The cult is consists completely of Kelemvor worshipping lycantrophes. They belive that their lycantrophy is a variation of the curse Kelemvor had as a mortal, and in order to be free of it someday they must sacrifice an intelligent being to their god for each time they have changed. They know that Kelemvor managed to beat his curse (they don't know how) so there is a way for them to be cured also.
The cult was founded and is led by a very charismatic dwarf who is secretly a malarite cleric. He hates Kelemvor with all his heart because while mortal Kelemvor in his cursed form made him flee from a fight. The dwarf took this very personally and because he knows he can't kill a god, he tries to subvert Kelemvors teachings. He has been secretly infecting people Kelemvor met as a mortal with different forms of lycantrophy and then initiating them into the heresy with promises of a cure.

I also have been thinking of a Cyrical (is that a word) heresy, where the heretics want to make the ultimate betrayal by betraying their god (Cyric).

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000