Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Maintaining Order in Mulmaster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  14:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

I'm running the Mulmaster story arc from MoM, and my PCs just took on the assassin guild Golden Skulls. During the battle, the sorcerer of the party frequently stepped out on the street to cast buffing spells and to throw fireballs inside from the doorway. Naturally, several passersby took notice of this encounter too.

I know that:
-magic users are forced to join the local mage guild (I forget the name) in Mulmaster
-The High Blade has forbidden casting magic in the city (at least for non-guild members)
-Causing a scene like that, surely can't be overlooked by the city officials
-Adventurers in general are discouraged to stay in the city

The sorc isn't a guild member either, so how would the city officials react to this?
-Would the mage guild hunt the sorc down and kill him?
-Would the mage guild just give a warning and force him to join?
-Would the city watch try to arrest the PCs?
-Would the High Blade send assassins to take care of the PCs?

Any suggestions?

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  19:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the story arc you mention, but I have run campaigns in Mulmaster before, so I'm familar with the High Blades and the Cloaks. Personally, I think that any response depends on what the relationship was between the High Blades and the Golden Skulls assassin guild.

If the High Blades supported the Golden Skulls, the response is lethal, with a public display of the PC's bodies (all of them - not just the wizard) afterwards.

If the High Blades didn 't care one way or another about the Golden Blades, then the response is to hunt down the PC wizard and either force him to join or force him to leave the city. Either way, the threats of a more forceful response may be used to solicit a bribe.

If the High Blades were opposed to the Golden Skulls, then the response would be just a "friendly" offer to join. However, if the PC wizard was for some reason to refuse this generous offer, see item one above.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  19:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Book says that the Golden Skulls are not an official guild, nor are they protected by the authorities. They assassinate anyone from Blades (hired by another Blade, perhaps?) to regular ruffians as long as they get paid. It's also said that they have manage to elude the law by keeping their identities secret.

So afaik, the Blades could either be indifferent about them or they could be opposed the guild. Who knows?

Anyway, I appreciate your input, Halidan! It seems that having just the sorc PC harassed by the Brotherhood of the Cloaks would be the way to go.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  00:34:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I would handle this the same way as Halidan. Because the Golden Skulls are an independent guild, the Blades and the Cloaks might have a good reason to "tame" these assassins. Here are my suggestions:

If your PCs are staying at an inn, I would start the next session with a few members of the Cloaks paying them a visit, accompanied by a good number of competent fighters (sort of like a police raid in all those TV series and movies ;). The Cloaks are certainly taking this seriously, since the PC sorcerer must be at least 6th level (to cast that Fireball) and thus potentially dangerous. This strike force should be led by a mid-to-high level wizard (10th-15th) and all the Cloaks should carry some wands, and have protective spells (resistance to fire, for example) cast on them. They also should have a number of spells to tame and interrogate this mage and his companions (Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, Suggestion, Dominate Person, various illusion spells, etc.) in addition to protective and combat spells.

Unless the PCs have taken extra precautions to hide themselves or conceal their presence (invisibility) or use Teleport/Dimension Door to move around in the city, there have been eye-witnesses to lead the authorities to them. Of course, the Cloaks could just use magic to trace them.

Alternatively, if your PCs are not staying at an inn, or the session starts somewhere else, have the Cloaks arrive after the next combat encounter. Maybe they teleport to your PCs? Maybe they hear a cold voice from above, as invisible flying wizards are leveling their wands at them? Perhaps they use a Programmed Image to approach the PCs first?

I would have the Cloaks first offer the PC the option to join them (and then use several mind-reading/Divination spells on him - followed finally by a Geas ;). If he does, they task him (and his companions) to find and make these Golden Skulls submit to the authorities. After all, the PCs *have* broken the law by using magic within the city :)

Should they choose to resist and fight, they'd be happy to escape the city alive. Of course, the agents of Mulmaster would continue to spy and harass them, at least for some time.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  14:00:18  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I ran Mulmaster (many moons ago), I played up the Cloaks pretty heavilly. I tend to think of them as loyal to themselves (and thus Tallwands) first, the City second, and the blades a distant third.

In my campaign, one of the main jobs of the Cloaks was to patrol Mulmaster with detect thoughts up seeking trouble makers. Once found trouble makers would be eliminated, forced to join (in the case of casters), or manipulated to the Cloaks' own ends.

If this were my campaign, the Cloaks would not wait for an order from the Blades, they would begin their investigation immediately. Likely some of the under-cloaks would be punished for allowing an undocumented Sorcerer into the city. This would have the effect of strongly motivating those cloaks charged with pursuing the party to both avoid punishment and to win honors and higher rank.

Should the Blades interject themselves into the situation, Tallwands would consider his options. 1) Why are the Blades so concerned about these particular trouble makers? 2)How can this situation be made to expand his influence?

Further, I would think that the Cloaks are less loyal to the Blades now than ever before. The High Blade is courting the Red Wizards and thus violating Cloak authority. Closer ties with Zhentil Keep will inevitably mean the interference of the Manshoon and Fzoul into their domestic affairs (something no Cloak would want).

Play this right, and you'll have a coup on your hands with the PC's ending up as Blades dancing on the Cloaks' strings.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoah! My brain juices just started flowing again. Thanks guys! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000