Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Bowcrafting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ragge
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  21:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Ragge's Homepage Send Ragge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As a Halfling Ranger, I was curious if taking the Craft (bow) skill was worth it? Would I be able to create some decent magical items or would I be better off just buying what I want? Also, I realize this is a FR forum, but I am in a Living Greyhawk series with this character. SO any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also, if not Craft (bow) what would you suggest I use my craft skill for?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  21:38:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it clearly depends on level and even rule subset you are working under. In general a character only needs a new bow once a year or less. Many of the foes you kill will provide bows of some quality without having to buy one.

Each role play has different features of importance, your character should not need to make many bows for own use though the years, however your character might earn some income from making bows for others. It is my advice that you concentrate of placing skill points in things you will use most often, Spot for example, that allows your character to develope. If the ability to make bows is part of that so be it.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  21:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting to note (and sad too) that create magic arms/armour doesn't require a craft skill. As far as I can see craft is only really any good for roleplaying purposes, or to create expendable items (such as ammo).

Would be nice to see a good list of 'adventure useful' items that crafting can create. A while ago I had a fletcher, and the DM and I worked out a set of rules for creating magically imbued arrows, and in particular modified ones such as arrows with attached tanglefoot bags, water pouches (for extinguishing flames, a la 'Thief'), thunderstones, holy water etc etc. I'm sure it could be extended to strengthened grips on weapons, additional spikes on blunt weapons, intricately designed cross-guards, and other modifications
Go to Top of Page

Diideral
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  02:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Diideral's Homepage Send Diideral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My character now has 25 in bowmaking and the major use is in creating non magical arrows that have unique effects...an hydrodynamic arrow, mercurial arrows for splitting wooden objects, a trick arrow that crumples on contact leaving feathers and a red stain for shooting that not-supposed to be a friend...only a master craftsman can make those and those arrows don't come cheap unless your spend your downtime on them...

add a little alchemy to the lot and you'll take an arrow demon on a shoot out any day...
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  15:51:20  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

It's interesting to note (and sad too) that create magic arms/armour doesn't require a craft skill. As far as I can see craft is only really any good for roleplaying purposes, or to create expendable items (such as ammo).

Ummm. . . but it does require a masterwork quality weapon (I also rule that ANY item made magical must be masterwork quality, but I also rule that you must collect the proper components to make the item, not just go to the marketplace, spend some gold and craft away)

The thing about it is, "Craft wonderous item" doesn't mean "make the item" it means "enchant the item".

As to the OP's question, depends on your DM really, ask him/her if it would be worthwhile, in most cases it would not be (though when you're bow cracks a bit and you want to repair it you may end up kicking yourself. . . but that's VERY situational and may never come up)
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  16:46:12  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's always handy to have a bowmaker in the group. It could happen (in my group at least) that the bow is being damaged during the battle. The cord (sorry don't know the exact english word) can be snapped and has to be repaired etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000