Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Year of the Dragon Rage Questions (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aldim
Acolyte

Brazil
10 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  03:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Aldim's Homepage Send Aldim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi! I'm from Brazil, and the novels are too rare by here... I wanna know when (month) the dragon rage was finished. Was Sammaster killed in the process? I would appreciate any help!

Mod Edit: Altered the title to make sure no one wanders into this thread without knowing there may be spoilers for the Year of Rogue Dragons books.

Aldim

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 22 Mar 2007 03:46:24

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  03:34:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

Dragon rage lasted until December.

Sammaster was killed in the process.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  09:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER!!!!!!!!

This time Sammaster was (most likely *g*) killed permanently, because his Phylactery was also destroyed in the process. I guess, the only way he could return would be as a deity, but even that would be really difficult... but then again, WotC sometimes has it's difficulties in letting it's major Characters stay permanently dead

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  12:25:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iliphar1

SPOILER!!!!!!!!

This time Sammaster was (most likely *g*) killed permanently, because his Phylactery was also destroyed in the process. I guess, the only way he could return would be as a deity, but even that would be really difficult... but then again, WotC sometimes has it's difficulties in letting it's major Characters stay permanently dead

Didn't Byers say that he did his best to make Sammasters death permanent?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  14:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I were thinking, was it his Phylactery that was destroyed.

I am one of those that believe that he isn’t dead; Sammasters could have more than one Phylactery. A master like Sammaster knows when his plans a spoiled and when to leave a battle, he planed the hole thing and used many years to do this.

I would say that there is a good chance that he isn’t dead, beside undead.

How is Sammaster?
As one of Mystra's chosen, Sammaster possessed great power, in addition to his own skills he also possessed a fraction of Mystra's essence alike Elminster and Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun. In Sammaster's case however, the additional power brought delusions of power and madness, which consumed him and triggered a series of events that in the end cost him his life. With help he rose from the dead he sought out knowledge. He came to believe in time that "dead dragons shall rule the world entirely" and spent his undeath working towards the realization of his goal.

This master is no idiot, he refused to be a chosen of Mystra, and facked his own death once… whey should he be dead now ?

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  16:25:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I were thinking, was it his Phylactery that was destroyed.

I am one of those that believe that he isn’t dead; Sammasters could have more than one Phylactery. A master like Sammaster knows when his plans a spoiled and when to leave a battle, he planed the hole thing and used many years to do this.

I would say that there is a good chance that he isn’t dead, beside undead.

How is Sammaster?
As one of Mystra's chosen, Sammaster possessed great power, in addition to his own skills he also possessed a fraction of Mystra's essence alike Elminster and Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun. In Sammaster's case however, the additional power brought delusions of power and madness, which consumed him and triggered a series of events that in the end cost him his life. With help he rose from the dead he sought out knowledge. He came to believe in time that "dead dragons shall rule the world entirely" and spent his undeath working towards the realization of his goal.

This master is no idiot, he refused to be a chosen of Mystra, and facked his own death once… whey should he be dead now ?

He didn't refuse to be a Chosen, he became a Chosen and later had the power stripped away.

A lich is tied to its phylactery. No matter how smart or powerful they are, this has always been the case. Destroy the phylactery, the lich is dead.

Sammy's phylactery was destroyed. He is dead. The author himself has stated this, and there is nothing to indicate otherwise. There is no reason to assume Sammy pulled some sort of fast one. He's dead, Jim.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  17:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I know what the author said, and yes Sammaster was once a chosen, but was striped from power, you’re right.

But I still like the idea that he isn’t dead

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 22 Mar 2007 17:06:03
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  19:41:27  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe a very stupid question but which novel goes about the rage of the dragon, 'cause I only read a few thing of it and can't get a whole picture of it in my mind yet :-)

Did the metallic dragons also freaked out and killed innocent people when suffering this madness?
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  20:29:32  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boddynock

maybe a very stupid question but which novel goes about the rage of the dragon, 'cause I only read a few thing of it and can't get a whole picture of it in my mind yet :-)

Did the metallic dragons also freaked out and killed innocent people when suffering this madness?

There were 3 novels that came out. They are called The Rage, The Rite, and The Ruin. There were also 2 anthologies that came out called The Realms of Dragons I and II. Haven't had a chance to read the anthologies yet but the novels can help clear up what the rage is.

Spoiler: Highlight to read.

The Rage pretty much affected all of the dragons. I am still not sure if Underdark dragons were affected or not due to the "Fazreez (sp!)" that is in the underdark. What the metallic dragons did was a few of them were put in a sleeping trance while the rest guarded and when one that was awake started feeling the affects would switch.

Hope that helped.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  20:52:45  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only do the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy deal with the Dragon Rage (as well as the two Realms of the Dragons short story anthologies), but Realms of Elves has a short story directly related to the storyline, and Queen of the Depths, a novel from the Priests series, has to do with the events of the trilogy as well.
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  13:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Yes I know what the author said, and yes Sammaster was once a chosen, but was striped from power, you’re right.

But I still like the idea that he isn’t dead

I don't know, but I think that when he died, he should be dead! I really hate all that return of dead villains.. I prefer to let dead people rest in peace *g*

The "he's dead - no, he's back again - ups, he's gone now - no wait, he's back again, ... etc. etc." game can become really annoying

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  15:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Iliphar1 I agree with you to a certain point, but some villains are just experts in cheating death.. and cheating others in believing that they are dead.

Sammaster ”lived” 480 years, he was a Arch mage, Chosen, founder of the Cult of the Dragon, lich and prophet.

If one should have cheated el´ and the other chosen’s and the Company of Twelve it would be him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

887/Year of Fell Pearls

Pirate raids in force from the South attack tribes in Sword Coast. All attacks on Nimoar's Hold fail.

The first "translations" of ancient prophecies by the mad Sammaster are distributed, including his specious work on Maglas' Chronicle of Things to Come.

The Magister Kurtal of Sreve is killed in spellbattle with the mage Sharglar "Lord of Beasts" Dulrathran. Sharglar becomes Magister (reigns 887DR).

After a magical mishap, the Magister Sharglar is left trapped with beast-limbs and unable to perform complex spellcasting. He is killed by the battle-mage Kalgrathur Daycloaks, who becomes Magister (reigns 887-889DR).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
799/Year of the Laughing Gull (c.800) - Sammaster is born

Sammaster First-Speaker, founder of the Cult of the Dragon, is born, though the location
and exact date of his birth are lost to time.

1285/The Year of the Blacksnake (c.1280) - - Sammaster death

By this time, Skyships Glade in Tethyr is used exclusively by illithid slavers.

An adventuring company of paladins, the Company of Twelve, attacks the lich Sammaster's stronghold. Nine are killed, but the lich's physical form is destroyed. Survivors confirm that this indeed was Sammaster First-Speaker.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: