Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Campaign Idea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  05:08:01  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I ask that if any of my players come across this thread to not read it. =)

*Highlight to reveal Spoiler*

I'm working on a campaign that could result in a resurgence of Orc power, and a possible kingdom.

Basic timeline
-13000 DR - Successes of the elves in the west, force a migration of orcs to the east, and a large group settle in the lands of Thar. They were led there by Gruumsh, to be their "promise land".

-9000 DR - Founding of the Elven Court (first elven settlement this far east)

-6000 DR - Orc kingdom was created

-5000 DR - War between Elves and Orc forces. Avatars of Corellon and Gruumsh are summoned during an epic battle. Corellon beats Gruumsh in a one on one battle high over the region. Gruumsh falls from the sky, and is the "falling star" that destroys the elven realm of Uvaeren. In retaliation the elves commit genocide on the Orcs of the Thar. For various reasons (guilt and continued vengence), the elves erase the existance of the orc war, and the orc kingdom from history. The battle also wounded Gruumsh, resulting in a chunk of his flesh being rend from his body. This piece hardened into a black star sapphire, and is a war trophy of the elves, named "The Black Heart". This wound weakens Gruumsh's control over the orcs. Without this control, have never amounted to anything.

From -5000 to -1076 DR - The relic is hidden and protected by the elves. Their erasure of the orc history is so successful, that they loose track of the importance of the relic.

-1076 DR - Gruumsh uses the Orc Gate, to bring forth new faithful orc followers from another world, that have the level of power that orcs of the realms had in the past. Gruumsh's goal is to recover his "Black Heart". The elves learn of this, and rediscover the relic. Unknown to the humans involved in the war, the elves use this relic to lure some of the most elite orc forces into a trap. With the loss of these forces, the humans are able to win the Orcgate War.

Present Day (-20 years) - An apprentice Red Wizard of Thay begins researching the Orcgate Wars, and slowly uncovers all of this history.

Present Day - The PCs will be placed into a position where they are to stop this Red Wizard from reuniting Gruumsh with his Black Heart.

Whatcha all think?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 18 Mar 2007 05:08:58

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  06:43:51  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to point out, I had this idea before Sons of Gruumsh was published. I had a detailed timeline written out a couple of years ago, but lost it to a computer crash.

But I'll be implementing that module into my campaign, for sure. =)

Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  06:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a minor suggestion: If you have Lost Empires of Faerun, you could include the Olin Gisir as caretakers of the artifact and perhaps have them offer sage advice to the players, guiding them in the protection of the elven people. Perhaps they would also know of other caches of ancient magics which the characters could attempt to reclaim in order to combat the orcs. These could be in desecrated elven tombs, etc, which fits into the olin gisir vein.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.

Edited by - Conlon on 18 Mar 2007 07:00:33
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  07:17:59  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'll have to look into that prestige class again, but something occurred to me.

I did a primer for the campaign last year, and it involved an adventuring band coming across the ruins of an elven home. All that was left was the basement. It was destroyed in -5000 DR, when Uvaeren was hit. The PCs gave everything a once over, all but a door they couldn't get through. On the otherside of the door was a library of the wizard that lived at the home. The leader of the band was determined to get in, but their shady behavior was uncovered. The farmer that hired them, and the villagers of Mistledale were none to pleased by their behavior.

An Olin Gisir, would be very interested in their findings, and behavior. =)

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  21:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about linking the Broken Sword to this "Rise of the Orcs"-theme? They are, after all, mostly half-orcs and orcs (and some pro-orc humans) who seek to restore "the Green Time".

The article (by Ed) about this semi-secret and not-so-succesful organization may be found in the Polyhedron magazine.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  04:35:50  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have any polyhedron magazines. Know which issue?

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  16:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the magazine but I have read the article... it has very solid content and inspired my campaign a lot - there seems to be a *lot* of orcs around suddenly in the Dalelands!

After a quick Internet search I came up with issue #95. Hopefully one of your friends or acquitances has that issue, or perhaps you can try to find someone who would sell it. Maybe even someone here, or you could try at eBay?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000