Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Thayan or Thayvian?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  08:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Another dusty old scroll!

The OPs distinction between Thayan and Thayvian seems pretty straightforward. The subsequent discussion about natural linguistic drift through distant lands and peoples seems reasonable, even inevitable. It's also been observed that apparently "not much thought went into it" and inconsistent usage among different authors has caused confusion.

1 - I've encountered Thayvan (many times, not a typo) ... it this an official/canon variation?
[Edit: the source was not canon, I withdraw the question]

2 - What do the Thayans call their language? What do foreigners call it? Thayan, Thayvian, Thayish?
(And is this the same language spoken in Mulhorand? I'm assuming that even if it is, the Thayans would never admit it.)

• Mulhorandi” – Common:- a term applied to the collective folk of Mulhorand, their work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making; the term is also applied to the language of Mulhorand, Murghôm, Semphar, and Thay (Races of Faerûn by Eric L. Boyd, James Jacobs, Matt Forbeck)

• Kinda like I'm South African, but I speak English (among other languages).

As for the original distinction/s I asked about:
  • Thayan” – Common:- a far more popular term applied to the collective folk of Thay, their work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making (Polyhedron #74; So saith Ed - February 16, 2010)

• Thayvian” – Common:- an older term for Thayan still heard today, especially among scholars and pedants (So saith Ed - February 16, 2010)

• Shaaran” – Common:- a term applied to a sub-race of long-faced, yellow-skinned humans, their language, work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making; the term is also applied to the humanoids, monstrous humanoids and animals of the Shaar (Races of Faerûn by Eric L. Boyd, James Jacobs, Matt Forbeck; The Grand History of the Realms by Brian R. James, Ed Greenwood, George Krashos, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas Costa; Champions of Valor by Thomas M. Reid, Sean K. Reynolds)

• Shaaryan” – Common:- a term applied to the nomads of the Shaar, their work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making (Shining South by Thomas M. Reid)

• Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7971 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  01:51:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I was surprised that google search's autocomplete/suggestions prefer "Thayan" as the proper form, treating "Thayvian" as incorrect spelling.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Kellithan
    Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  19:04:19  Show Profile Send Kellithan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Garen Thal

'Thayvian' was one of those words that was seemingly dropped with the advent of 3rd Edition...Personally, I never use 'Thayan,' except when declaring my preference for the 'Thayvian.'

I've a question regarding "Thayan" bombards:

I've been using Of Ships and the Sea to outline a ship battle between a Sembian merchantman and a Thayan galley (dromond, really) equipped with bow and stern chasers. However, as bombards aren't listed in OSatS I can't reconcile the stats given in The Unapproachable East with the former sourcebook. Is there anyone who can help me with this?
    Go to Top of Page

Sightless
    Senior Scribe

USA
    608 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2013 :  22:33:23  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Well, I prefer Thayan to Thayvian, largely as Thayvian, were the original inhabitants of the nation that later became Stigia. Back before the seas swallowed Atlantis. Now, I understand most folks don’t care about blantly ripping of older thirties and forties content and making it their own, World of Warcraft developed a very successful series of games as I understand it from doing so, but as for me I would rather not do it. For more on the concepts of Robert’s Thayvian’s see the original prologue to “the hour of the dragon”.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000