Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Depths of Madness: Chapters 26 - end
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  21:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGato

Whew. Just finished moments ago. What a read, Erik! I truely enjoyed many aspects of the book.

I'm glad!

quote:
All of the characters were very interesting, and interesting to read about together. I especially love how you werent afraid to kill off most of the characters. That doesnt happen to often. Especially when Slip gets her eyes melted! Oh man! That was awesome!

Heh heh -- yeah, I'm cruel.

quote:
I gotta say that through the whole traitor susspect deal, the only two I really considered were Liet and Slip. There were few clues in there where things they did and said just didnt seem right.

Very astute -- did you think it would be one of them, or did you imagine it would be BOTH?

quote:
One thing that bothered me though, was that I didnt really feel the conection between 'Light and Liet. It felt a little too convenient and forced.

I feel inclined to assure you that that was intentional -- yet another of those little subtle clues. Why is Liet so determined to -- ahem -- delve into those particular garments?

Why, because Gestal's forcing the issue.

I personally think that the Twilight/Taslin romance is the one that *should* have happened in the book, but I didn't let it. (Again, very intentionally.) The infatuation with Liet is really only meant to tell you something about Twilight.

quote:
'Light and Garagan truely do make for interesting adventuring companions though. They compliment each other well. Would be really interesting to read more about what his destiny really is with her.

I'm glad you think so! I should be interested in their future as well.

quote:
Well done sir, and thank you! Ill be looking forward to reading things by you in the future.

Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

TheGato
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  19:13:15  Show Profile  Visit TheGato's Homepage Send TheGato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
I'm glad!

Yea man. Definitely my favorite Realms book to date. Cover to cover in record time for me too. ;)

quote:

Heh heh -- yeah, I'm cruel.

Yea you are. Id love to play in one of your campaigns I bet its a blast. Even if Id have to make a new character every session :P

quote:

Very astute -- did you think it would be one of them, or did you imagine it would be BOTH?

No way I thought it could be both. I gueses I just wouldnt let myself for some reason. hehe
But yea. The way Slip would bring up certain asspects of her past that would seem fishy and then she wouldnt finish her tale. Leit in general was suspicious to me.
Though speaking of Slip not finishing tales... there was a bit where she said that she and Leit came into the dungeon together. Then someone changed the subject and it was never brought up again. I thought that was a bit odd. But didnt put 2 and 2 togehter until the end.

quote:

I feel inclined to assure you that that was intentional -- yet another of those little subtle clues. Why is Liet so determined to -- ahem -- delve into those particular garments?

Why, because Gestal's forcing the issue.

I personally think that the Twilight/Taslin romance is the one that *should* have happened in the book, but I didn't let it. (Again, very intentionally.) The infatuation with Liet is really only meant to tell you something about Twilight.

Oh Ill take your word for it. I mean. I can tell how many other strange things were intentional. It just left me with a funny feeling when she was so attached to the welp. :)
Now the Twilight/Taslin romance... if that had a chance to develop, I think I could have believed it for sure. Especially after their umm "moment" ;)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  20:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TheGato

Now the Twilight/Taslin romance... if that had a chance to develop, I think I could have believed it for sure. Especially after their umm "moment" ;)

Mmm. Yes. (Took me back to where I almost had Twilight and Cythara hook up and abandon that twerp Yldar. Too bad Cyth was evil. )

Not that I'm making Twilight's story about those sorts of issues (Twilight's just Twilight, not some sort of champion of any particular cause), but I rather think that she has an equal shot at being with men and being with women. I mean -- both sets of lovers tend to die just as easily and quickly.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  08:45:54  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope in your next Twilight book that you can include Erevan Ilesere in the book as a much more detailed deity so as to shed some light (twilight) on The Fox. Maybe even start the book off with a daring Deific theft or prank by Erevan that somehow ties in with Twilight in the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  15:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I really hope in your next Twilight book that you can include Erevan Ilesere in the book as a much more detailed deity so as to shed some light (twilight) on The Fox. Maybe even start the book off with a daring Deific theft or prank by Erevan that somehow ties in with Twilight in the novel.

Perhaps, perhaps indeed -- I appreciate the vote of confidence, that there will be another Twilight book. That's up to Wizards, of course.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  17:22:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mmm. Yes. (Took me back to where I almost had Twilight and Cythara hook up and abandon that twerp Yldar. Too bad Cyth was evil. )

Evil people still need nookie...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  18:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*REALMS OF THE ELVES SPOILERS*

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Evil people still need nookie...

Well, I doubt that Twilight and Cythara would have got along, given on their outstanding antipathy for one another. (Then again . . . abusive relationships are indeed possible.)

As for Cyth's needs -- she got plenty of said nookie with Graz'zt (a far better lay than Twilight, I can only imagine).

(Which scene, I should point out, was plenty more erotic in my conception -- we're talking R, here -- but I toned it down for my actual first draft. )

Which raises some interesting questions about Cythara's future, not to mention her own inclinations.

"I swear it was the six-fingered man!"

*END SPOILERS*

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 13 Apr 2007 18:18:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  01:31:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for Cyth's needs -- she got plenty of said nookie with Graz'zt (a far better lay than Twilight, I can only imagine).
I feel the need to disagree with that! Of the two -- Graz'zt and Twilight -- I immediately know who my choice would be...

"What? Yes, my lovely Lady K... Of course I'm talking about you. Who else would I be thinking about?"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  14:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yes -- Slip's a naughty little girl.
Quite right!

If you don't mind my asking Erik, was the character of Slip inspired by anything in particular?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  14:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I feel the need to disagree with that! Of the two -- Graz'zt and Twilight -- I immediately know who my choice would be...
So do I.

I also have a fair idea about who I would choose.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  23:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

"What? Yes, my lovely Lady K... Of course I'm talking about you. Who else would I be thinking about?"

Now now, we all have our fantasies about certain six-fingered demon lords . . . um . . . I mean . . . don't we?

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Oh yes -- Slip's a naughty little girl.
Quite right!

If you don't mind my asking Erik, was the character of Slip inspired by anything in particular?

Hmm -- not really. She just kind of popped in there.

Did she remind you of someone? (A character you've read about or seen before?)

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

quote:

So do I.

I also have a fair idea about who I would choose.

Hey -- sexy is as sexy does.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  17:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great work Eric.
I`m looking forward to a new Twilight novel (yes I know, the wizards have the last word about that).

At the time Asson fall to his death I was remindet of my AD&D wizard who has a ring of flying. Every time he flies up into the sky I remember myself about a death of smashing full force into the ground :-)

To get more readers and fans you could start a call for everyone to write a review about Depths of Madness.
And later you will pick one of the reviewers who could send you a npc which you will include into the new twilight novel.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  22:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

Great work Eric.
I`m looking forward to a new Twilight novel (yes I know, the wizards have the last word about that).

I'm glad you enjoyed!

I hope we haven't seen the last of her, but who knows?

quote:
At the time Asson fall to his death I was remindet of my AD&D wizard who has a ring of flying. Every time he flies up into the sky I remember myself about a death of smashing full force into the ground :-)

Hee hee!

quote:
To get more readers and fans you could start a call for everyone to write a review about Depths of Madness.
And later you will pick one of the reviewers who could send you a npc which you will include into the new twilight novel.

That's a solid idea -- sounds a little too much like bribery, though. And I would want people to be honest in their reviews, not to try to please me.

Were *you* thinking of writing a review?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  22:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Were *you* thinking of writing a review?

If I could find time to do it, yes.
There is so much to do and so little time
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  01:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

If I could find time to do it, yes.
There is so much to do and so little time

Ah yes. Now why does that sound so familiar?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  04:54:42  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I finished the book a few days ago -and wanted time to digest some of it before coming here to post more. :)

I have to say I completely enjoyed the novel up to a point. I can't say what that point was for sure though. I know it was good through the sharn-negotiations (if you will) - but I became a bit lost and confused sometime shortly after that.

The Goliath village was good too - even if it dis-joined the rest of the story setting somewhat.

The end of the story - with the multiple-switchbacks and such - just seemed to me to be a bit over the top. *shrugs* I guess I'm simplistic in liking a straightforward story that is pretty easy to follow. :) Some twists usually dont bother me - and reading about "the not-so-good guys" is not adverse necessarilly.

I suppose I really should have backed up when I got a bit confused and tried re-reading sections. Perhaps that would have worked.

On the Definate positive side - I liked the troll - I guess it would be really hard to finally beat that one down! :)

I also liked the upside-down city concept! When the sand was falling down on them in the one scene when they were trying to dig out on the 'top' - I had thought that they were just close to the surface of the Anauroch somewhere!

Overall - definately a thumbs-up on the story. :) Perhaps one or two less 'blind punches' and I could keep up! heh.

Anyway - I will be off to read the web story soon!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  07:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Overall - definately a thumbs-up on the story. :) Perhaps one or two less 'blind punches' and I could keep up! heh.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed at least the majority of the story! Yeah, it was confusing, but at least it wasn't *accidentally* confusing--quite purposeful, actually.

quote:
The Goliath village was good too - even if it dis-joined the rest of the story setting somewhat.

That was rather intentional--I wanted it to be an unexpected, jarring shift. Like when the madman has a psychotic episode and suddenly awakens in a hospital bed.

quote:
I guess I'm simplistic in liking a straightforward story that is pretty easy to follow. :)

Heh--did you ever pick the wrong book!

I kid, I kid. I appreciate your support, and thank you for the feedback!

Perhaps the webstory will answer more questions for you. And you can always ask them here, if you're still confused on something.

Cheers!

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  20:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, just finished this one last week.

A really strong start to the series, as the dungeon had a lot of "stand-out" features, like being reversed, and it was very well described (features and mood), which set an excellent atmosphere for the whole novel.

But the characters really managed to shine...er..in the dark, so to speak. As I had mentioned before the novel was released, I was looking forward to a book with Fox for a protagonist, because she is a different breed of "haunted" than most chars, especially Elven ones. Her "running away from someone, running away from self" isn´t cliché, but rather every little peek you grant us manages to spark interest (and boy, is Everan Ilsere ever an unlucky patron god to chose *cough*).
I really liked that you took a relatively standard group combo and managed to transform it in the process of the novel. I was weary about the cute halfling thief, you proved me wrong. The Elven couple/priest...you proved me wrong. The Meat Shield Goliath...boy, did he ever grow in the novel. The love story...some luck, absolution can be more complicated in some books, such as this one, and isn´t achieved by a naive puppy lover.
Spiraling into the "Depths of Madness", the mind going deeper along with the characters movement in the dungeon was a strong image, and the "villains" were surprising, which is always a good thing (especially since I was like "ah, not a Sharn"-proven wrong; "egads, it´s a demon/devil priest"...enter the Halfling).
One last note...what I really loved about the novel, were the little humoresque quips sprinkled through he paranoia of the plot (the Troll´s insights, for one). That gave the novel something extra...hoping for more of yours!

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  19:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind words, sir! I'm glad you enjoyed.

Would you be interested in writing a review for Amazon.com? I'd very much appreciate it, and it could potentially aid the book's success and bolster Twilight's chances of returning in another tale.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  09:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, so I was wrong. The companions were not thralls of the DM, but rather the DM/s themselves. I am glad my suspicions of everyone helped me not to get too attached to any of the characters though. Like Dhomal, I really enjoyed the book up to a certain point. I think it was when they entered the Netherese city. After that is was a little bit like information overload in a sense. Could I say "madness overload"? Not that some parts thereafter didn't shine very brightly, I just didn't care anymore. I just wanted to finish the madness, get it over and done with.

I really liked the reconciliation to her patron scene/dream. I think Twilight will be a little bit stronger knowing that she has -- and indeed always had -- a god in her corner, even if he seems a little "disinvolved" at times. Was it Erevan she used The Shroud for hiding from, or someone else?

The whole goliath settlement was well written, and definately reminded me of something else I have read or seen. The way they treated Gargan was reminiscent of something, but what I can't recall...

I could have happily not have read the epilogue. Not that I didn't know at that point that Slip was in league with Liet. To have it brutally confirmed though... I preferred the "they walked off into the sunset" ending of the last chapter though.

Some questions:
How did they get to the goliath vilage? The one minute 'Light was out for the count, Gargan was swooping her up and certainly getting himself killed in the process, next they're a "thousand miles away in happy-happy land".

Is Davoran done for? Some comments in this thread seem to imply that he's alive if not so mentally well, even after being digested by ye olde half-fiendish troll.

What was the history between Gestal and 'Light? Did he indeed tamper with her Shroud? Is there even a history between them as alluded to by his scenes? Why the bloody handprints, or was that Slip?

Was Slip or Liet responsible for the "Asson doll"? Was Slip or Gestal responsible for the "lover's touch" on 'Light's skin?

Where is 'Light from? She mentions the Shining South, yet the adventure/dungeon crawl started in Westgate.

Are the portals to "The Depths of Madness" original Netherese portals and if so are they described at all by any of the Perilous Gateways already published by WotC?

Where did 'Light's Westgate portal deposit them? Was it on the Gestal side or Ruuk side of the prison?

Were any of the other original Westgate companions re-animated like Arandon and later Taslin?

Did Slip get her "healing spells" from Yondalla or Demogorgon?

Was Slip's forgetfulness/vacouesness also a symptom of her very own MPD/DID?

Did Slip and Liet indeed adventure together before or was that simply a ploy like the rest of their subterfuge, or something else entirely?

Who is the omnipresent italicised speaker in That Time of the Tenday?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  15:59:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDIT: I've decided to fill in a couple of these answers. Not to say that all of these are canonically true . . .

What a pity. Sorry the novel didn't work out better for you!

Whew! Laundry list of questions. Here we go:

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Was it Erevan she used The Shroud for hiding from, or someone else?

Yes and no, as confusing as that answer might be. But I don't imagine a god would have much trouble penetrating a mortal-made anti-scrying device. Then again, if a god were the one who made it . . .

quote:
I could have happily not have read the epilogue. Not that I didn't know at that point that Slip was in league with Liet. To have it brutally confirmed though... I preferred the "they walked off into the sunset" ending of the last chapter though.

Interesting. I would have thought you'd like the epilogue. But I suppose one can't win 'em all.

quote:
How did they get to the goliath vilage? The one minute 'Light was out for the count, Gargan was swooping her up and certainly getting himself killed in the process, next they're a "thousand miles away in happy-happy land".

I think the word you're using incorrectly here is "certainly." Gargan escaped from Gestal, and carried Twilight off. (Now whether this is because Gargan is somehow in league with Gestal is yet to be seen.)

quote:
Is Davoran done for? Some comments in this thread seem to imply that he's alive if not so mentally well, even after being digested by ye olde half-fiendish troll.

Davoren is *not* done for--he still does exist, at least in some form. I leave the explanation of exactly what happened to individual DM discretion, should they be interested in using him as a character in their games. (Personally, I rather think he was able to escape when the poison wore off--as we'd seen it do earlier--probably missing a limb or two.)

If I don't leave a body, it's entirely possible that the person is alive.

quote:
What was the history between Gestal and 'Light? Did he indeed tamper with her Shroud? Is there even a history between them as alluded to by his scenes? Why the bloody handprints, or was that Slip?
Was Slip or Liet responsible for the "Asson doll"? Was Slip or Gestal responsible for the "lover's touch" on 'Light's skin?

No particular history between the two--he just discovered her through his scrying and grew increasingly fascinated. The bloody handprints was Slip's doing, as was the Asson-doll.

quote:
Where is 'Light from? She mentions the Shining South, yet the adventure/dungeon crawl started in Westgate.

Twilight is originally from Evermeet. She was adventuring in Westgate (per the "That Time of the Tenday" webstory) before she came to the Depths. She is based on the Dragon Coast, as an adventurer.

quote:
Are the portals to "The Depths of Madness" original Netherese portals and if so are they described at all by any of the Perilous Gateways already published by WotC?

To my knowledge, nothing else regarding the Depths of Madness (the actual dungeon) has been published by WotC, at least at the present time.

I intended the Depths to be linked to other portals in Faerun by means of a random connection--one of those portals that doesn't always lead to the same place might lead there, instead. And according to the epilogue, where Daltyrex mentions having control of the portals, the better to lure new friends and playmates, Gestal seemed to have some sort of control over when and where these linkages manifested.

quote:
Where did 'Light's Westgate portal deposit them? Was it on the Gestal side or Ruuk side of the prison?

Seeing that they were entirely in Gestal's power and attacked by lizardfolk in a series of organic tunnels, I would guess that it was the Gestal side.

quote:
Were any of the other original Westgate companions re-animated like Arandon and later Taslin?

I don't believe we saw anything in the book, but that's entirely possible. The paladin was pretty much pulped, which would make for a hideous sort of zombie (though that isn't a no), and the swordfighter was ripped into little pieces. The priestess is a good candidate, since she just died from spears.

(For clarity, Taslin was not actually a Westgate companion. She and Asson came through a portal near Longsaddle.)

quote:
Did Slip get her "healing spells" from Yondalla or Demogorgon?

Demogorgon. A part of her might have believed they came from Yondalla. I suppose that depends on whether you go with the DID explanation (see below).

quote:
Was Slip's forgetfulness/vacouesness also a symptom of her very own MPD/DID?

It seems likely that Slip had two (or more) personalities, one good, one very evil. Then again, it's entirely possible that she only has one personality and was just a very cool customer (and that her weirdness was just part of her personality, or was an act). I'll let you decide.

quote:
Did Slip and Liet indeed adventure together before or was that simply a ploy like the rest of their subterfuge, or something else entirely?

Again, that's something you can decide for yourself. As I see it, Gestal has existed for a much longer time than she has, so she's just one of his "aides" recruited to assist him in the Depths. They may have adventured together at some time, but it's likely just part of their subterfuge.

quote:

Though it might *seem* to be Gestal, it was really a voice in Twilight's own head. Whether that voice is connected to an actual speaker who is actually trying to talk to her at the time is unclear. But it is a distinct, individual voice that doesn't belong to her . . . perhaps we'll find out who it is.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 08 Nov 2007 18:06:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  16:56:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To my knowledge, nothing else regarding the Depths of Madness (the actual dungeon) has been published by WotC, at least at the present time.
As a follow-up to this Erik, can I ask... How did you come up with the name "Negarath" for the Netherese dungeon itself? 'Tis indeed an interesting name. Were you inspired by anything particularly Netherese, or something else entirely not-so-Realmsian?

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jul 2007 16:57:55
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  18:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As a follow-up to this Erik, can I ask... How did you come up with the name "Negarath" for the Netherese dungeon itself? 'Tis indeed an interesting name. Were you inspired by anything particularly Netherese, or something else entirely not-so-Realmsian?

That's a really good question. I think the short answer is, "it just popped in my head." I do like words and names that end in "rath," and think they sound very sorcerous (ever since Belgarath the Sorcerer--not to say anything either positive or negative about Eddings, I just really like the name).

Also of note is the name Nega, who was the arcanist behind Negarath, who in a typical display of arrogance/vanity, named the city for himself.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  00:50:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also of note is the name Nega, who was the arcanist behind Negarath, who in a typical display of arrogance/vanity, named the city for himself.
Interestingly, I'd take this one step further and suggest that Nega was, perhaps, also attempting to maintain the ancient enclave's link with its Netherese past. I've noticed a rather sporadic usage of names and places in ancient Netherese lore that have some derivative of the original "-rath" in the name. "Negarath" could simply be an example of Nega establishing his dominion [vanity] over the enclave, while also keeping it tied to its Netherese origins.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  01:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Interestingly, I'd take this one step further and suggest that Nega was, perhaps, also attempting to maintain the ancient enclave's link with its Netherese past. I've noticed a rather sporadic usage of names and places in ancient Netherese lore that have some derivative of the original "-rath" in the name. "Negarath" could simply be an example of Nega establishing his dominion [vanity] over the enclave, while also keeping it tied to its Netherese origins.

Noticed that, eh? I won't deny it!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  08:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What a pity. Sorry the novel didn't work out better for you!

Don't apologise. I enjoyed it as much as I... loathed it? Don't take that word as criticism either. It was more of a "madness overload" towards the end, than disliking the book. That's probably why I no longer read or watch much horror. After a while you just want to scream, "Make it stop!"

quote:
Interesting. I would have thought you'd like the epilogue. But I suppose one can't win 'em all.

Oh I liked it allright. It was a fitting end to Davoren and explained much about Slip, but see above though. I think you wrote a fantastic novel here, as I mentioned and compared it previously. It just never really let up though. Mad and twisted and awful -- all these adjectives used in a good sense -- right to the bitter end. You do manage to stick to your guns Erik, and that will take you far as a writer.

quote:
Davoren is *not* done for--he still does exist, at least in some form. I leave the explanation of exactly what happened to individual DM discretion, should they be interested in using him as a character in their games. (Personally, I rather think he was able to escape when the poison wore off--as we'd seen it do earlier--probably missing a limb or two.)

If I don't leave a body, it's entirely possible that the person is alive.

OK, I missed that entirely. Admittedly, Tlork is only half-troll at that point, but he's still munching oh-so-happily "Thank Master" on Davoren. There's no mention of him letting up on his banquet, even in the epilogue, or is there?

quote:
(For clarity, Taslin was not actually a Westgate companion. She and Asson came through a portal near Longsaddle.)

I know that, I just used her as further example. If I'm not mistaken there are quite a few "known" portals around Longsaddle, most of them sporadic or malfunctioning, so that part made a lot of sense.

quote:

quote:

We don't know.

I was under the impression it was the entity that later turned out to be Gestal, but now I'm also in the "We don't know." camp. A followup question though, was Piht the Picker an aspect/disguise of Gestal?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  15:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Oh I liked it allright. It was a fitting end to Davoren and explained much about Slip, but see above though. I think you wrote a fantastic novel here, as I mentioned and compared it previously. It just never really let up though. Mad and twisted and awful -- all these adjectives used in a good sense -- right to the bitter end. You do manage to stick to your guns Erik, and that will take you far as a writer.

This has got to be some of the most fascinating feedback I've got for the book thus far. Thank you, sir!

quote:
OK, I missed that entirely. Admittedly, Tlork is only half-troll at that point, but he's still munching oh-so-happily "Thank Master" on Davoren. There's no mention of him letting up on his banquet, even in the epilogue, or is there?

Admittedly, Daltyrex's attention wanders, and the epilogue is only perhaps a minute or two long. The troll may not have had time to eat all of Davoren, and the bit that was left escaped (to *partially* regenerate itself later).

There may quite possibly be another story in that. I suppose we'll see.

quote:
quote:

quote:

We don't know.

I was under the impression it was the entity that later turned out to be Gestal, but now I'm also in the "We don't know." camp.

This may or may not be explained in future.

quote:
A followup question though, was Piht the Picker an aspect/disguise of Gestal?

That would be Daltyrex in disguise as a small, slight human boy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  10:04:01  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about 50 pages from the end and am really enjoying all the twists and turns of the story. The description of the dungeon is very good. It almost seems like a character itself. I was a little surprised at the revelation about Liet. When I thought about it though, the clues were there. I was wondering if the mismatched eyes were an intentional foreshadowing of there being more to Liet than there initially appears? Am I the only one that noticed the shared characteristic between Liet and a certain character from The Erevis Cale Trilogy? If I remember right, he would have fit in rather well in this twisted environment.
I certainly picked the right time of year to read this. I finished Bloodwalk on Halloween night and followed it up with Depths. These have got to be two of the darkest realms novels I have ever read. For completely different reasons though. Where Bloodwalk was dark for it's subject matter, "Depths" is dark because of how twisted and creepy it is. By the way, great job Erik on how you used the environment and different situations to bring out and develop the different psychosis in the characters. I really got a feel for the downward spiral Twilight was on.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your kind words, sir! I'm glad you enjoyed, and I hope you like the ending. Definitely let me know!

quote:
Originally posted by koz
I certainly picked the right time of year to read this. I finished Bloodwalk on Halloween night and followed it up with Depths. These have got to be two of the darkest realms novels I have ever read. For completely different reasons though. Where Bloodwalk was dark for it's subject matter, "Depths" is dark because of how twisted and creepy it is.

I rather think that Bloodwalk and Depths might be the two darkest realms novels ever written (at least outside the War of the Spider Queen), but that might be just me.

Maybe it's time for a poll?

I could think of a bunch of categories: darkest, funniest, lightest, sexiest . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  15:31:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found Ghostwalker to be pretty dark, actually.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000