Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Fractured Sky - Prologue & Chapters 1 - 6
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  13:54:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Fractured Sky (Book 2 of The Empyrean Odyssey), by Thomas M. Reid. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 6 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Aug 2010 05:41:34

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  03:23:57  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the book so far. The only thing is after a years time I forgot some of the details of the first book. The author did a pretty good job of refreshing the memory through out the story. I didn't understand one thing though. How did Kashada end up getting captured and imprisoned in the same realm as the rest of the characters? I did like seeing Vhok getting a taste of his own treachery by agreeing to Tauran's terms. It seems to me though Vhok's going through a lot of trouble for a drip in the Lifespring. Isn't there magic that can do the same thing? I can believe Helm is dead. Just like that. I sure would of liked to see that battle. It's strange seeing Aliisza acting the way she is. I haven't decided if I like it better or not though. I feel bad and angry for her that the Angels robbed her of Kael's childhood. I like him so far. I see his father in him. My favorite part so far is Tauran's first act of true treachery by siking (sp) Vhok on Micus. That was great. What is Zasian up to now? What kind of treasure is in that cave? We'll just have to see.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  16:00:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the way that Alisza is seeing Kaanyr's showing up as a chance to teach him a lesson and repay him for how he has treated her.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  19:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far this novel is excellent. Love the mention about Helm being killed by Tyr which happens during this story and how it talks about the faiths of both gods being somewhat against each other but remaining to many a bickering to be kept among the deities.
Can't wait to read the rest of the book. Most of the first book came back to me while I was reading this one.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  09:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

So far this novel is excellent. Love the mention about Helm being killed by Tyr which happens during this story and how it talks about the faiths of both gods being somewhat against each other but remaining to many a bickering to be kept among the deities.
Can't wait to read the rest of the book. Most of the first book came back to me while I was reading this one.

Healm's death is mentioned but no explanation is given so far as to how Tyr actually killed him. I hope this'll get explained in detail in the rest of the book, else there wouldn't be anything new compared to the GHotR (at the moment, it's even more detailed there). I'm just wondering at the same time how Cyric can pull off all of those stunts in those few years. What were the gods up to before the ToT?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Oriac
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  17:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Oriac's Homepage Send Oriac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure whether I like the way Aliisza is starting to behave either. However, I do like the way she is taking out some of her frustrations on Vhok, he needs to be bashed over the head with the scepter a couple of times also. It's also enjoyable to see how Tauran is becoming more and more chaotic, disobeying and what not. As for Zasian, I love seeing a priest outwitting others in a fashion previously reserved only for arcane magic users.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  18:40:59  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had little problems getting into the next part of the Empyrean Odyssey. The book picks up startling pace right away. I loved the state of the Mount Celestia caused such vivid scenes for the protagonists, such as the staggeringly epic flight scene when the two celestial isles crashed into eachother.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000