Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Fractured Sky - Chapters 14 - 17
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  13:54:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Fractured Sky (Book 2 of The Empyrean Odyssey), by Thomas M. Reid. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 14 - 17 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Aug 2010 05:41:37

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  13:43:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how to link the prologue and ch 14-17, but I can try Sage

I enjoyed the last of this book, especially when Zasian find out that the biggest lie was told to him by Shar. I wished that the rest of what happened with Mystra and Azuth was a lie too..but , oh well!

I liked watching Alisza groe and wrestle with her "inner demons" (pun totally intended). She showed alot of growth and added much needed depth to her. I kind of think one more of Zasian's lies will be revealed post-mortem. I am guessing that he lied to Kaanyr when he said Alisza would "return to normal" after this is all over. Just the kind of lie that would have helped Kannyr to go along with Zasian's plan.

Look forward to the last of this series.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  22:48:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how the novel ended. The big implosion leaves me wanting to read ahead, but the third book isn't out yet, so the anticipation will exist until then. Excellent novel by Mr.Reid.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

inexorable
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  22:17:52  Show Profile  Visit inexorable's Homepage Send inexorable a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading this bookd and I really liked this novel.

All the characters seemed interesting and well conceived. The mixing of angels and demons will always more than likely garner interest from me.

I was kind of bummed out by Zasian dying, as Cyric and his minions are probably my favorite characters in all the Realms, but as a priest of The Dark Sun I kind of expected that to be the result for him. It was intriguing to discover that it was his own god that deceived and lied to him.

I'm looking forward to the next novel.

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  16:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A really well written novel, but I still can't figure out how Shar and Cyric pulled all those stunts off in the first place. No explanation is offered as to how or why Tyr killed Helm and how exactly Zasian and Kashada managed to get into Azuth's rotunda is also left out. A bit disappointing so far, perhaps the third book answers some of the questions...

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  18:26:59  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liked the scenes in Dweomerhart alot. The conveyerbelt pedestrian magic lanes, the vibrant bazaarlike plains, the extravagant architecture were nice embellishments to the plane.

Several scenes in the book were written in such a way I got virtigo such as the crashing of two celestial islands or the sundering of the Court. Pretty cinematic nonetheless.

I also liked the role of Micus and his relentless pursuit. His arguments with his fellow angels, Tauran and the solars of the court were an interesting read.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000