Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Plague
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  05:47:52  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, there!

I intend on having the black death hit the Sword Coast and Waterdeep, as well as other minor illnesses (influenza) hit surrounding areas. The PCs will have to look for a cure, and give it to the people.

So, where exactly can I find rules on the plague and other illnesses?

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  11:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem with plagues is clerical magic. So you need to invent a plague that is magical.

As to rules, I think that in the Book of Vile Darkness are rules concerning that issue.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  15:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can certainly have a plague in town and not have it automatically trumped by remove disease.
First, check this out for example: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010912b
It's a breakdown of the population of the city of Nesme.

Total Pop.: 6,140

Number of clerics that can cast remove disease: 4
Number of adepts that can cast remove disease: 3
Number of druids that can cast remove disease: 6
Number of rangers that can cast remove disease: 0
Number of paladins that can use remove disease once per week: 1
Number of paladins that can use remove disease twice per week: 1

So, you have 15 people in a town of 6,000+ that are capable of magically combatting the plague. On top of that, the druids might see the disease as being natural and refuse to fight it because it's "nature's way". Also, one of those druids or clerics may have Talona as his/her patron diety and will refuse to cure it (and probably started it in the first place). Clerics of Lathander, Ilmater, Chauntea, etc. will be out healing folks, but what of servants of neutral or evil dieties? They're going to want payment for their spells, and remove disease isn't cheap! Assuming the caster is 5th level, a casting of remove disease costs 150 gold - far beyond the means of the average plague-stricken commoner. In addition, once a person is cured, they can certainly be exposed to the disease again if it is rampant through the community.

There are more factors and variables to bring into play as well, but this is just off the top of my head.

Bottom line: plagues are gnarly! The clerics will have their hands full keeping important people disease-free, but the general population will be sick and dying until your PCs find a cure that can be given to everyone.

That said, the rules for disease are in the DMG (I don't have the book handy, so I don't know the page number). Pick a disease from the list, and have characters make a save whenever they're exposed to it. It should probably start in the slums and then work its way through the rest of the city, being carried to outlying areas as well. Clerical magic will be hard to come by when the plague is in effect, because the clerics will be using their spell slots for remove disease, so this can effect the market for buying certain potions and scrolls, except for stuff that has already been made. Evil characters and desperate men will use the chaos caused by the plague to their advantage, and there may be a rash of theft, looting and murder.

Actually, this sounds like a great element to introduce to a campaign, and I may use it myself!

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing

Edited by - Drunken Master on 23 Feb 2007 15:39:16
Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  15:51:45  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I intend on having the plague hit too many people for the Clerics to cure entirely. They'd cure X number of people for one day, but the next day, their efforts were futile as an exact (or greater) number of people were infected with the disease. In other words, this plague will spread like wildfire. That's where the PCs will come in, and look for a cure. And who's to say that the PCs are immune to the disease?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  07:58:04  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to have mentioned it: the computer game Neverwinter Nights I deals also with a plague. So you might want to check the web on that to get some further ideas.

Good luck gaming, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  08:54:16  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the campaign where I play the gnome Boddynock the plague in Neverwinter Nights I is als mentioned. Even more, a family member of one of the other players was involved in this crime. :-)

Sometimes I make use of diseases too, but at the moment I didn't used dangerous plagues in my campaign (but that can change in the future). One of my players got the flew and has to lie in bed for a few days. (this was during a session when the player couldn't come to the session) :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000