Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Trolls aging
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  10:31:51  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering, has it ever been mentioned how the trollish lifespan works? I am especially thinking of old age and natural death. With their regeneration abilities it seems a little illogical that their bodies should slowly decline, but them being immortal seems a little bit illogical to. Do they simply reach the stage where their brain ceases to function or where their regenerative powers simply "burn out"?

Any one got any opinions of their own or facts that I have missed?

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  16:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm if I were you I would see in Dragon Magazine 301

Ecology of the troll

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 16 Feb 2007 16:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  17:45:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, aging occurs in the real world because the DNA eventually starts breaking down. As long as a creature is alive, its cells are constantly replacing themselves. But, when the DNA starts to break down, the cells are now replicating imperfect versions of themselves.

So I'd say that trolls that reach old age would still regenerate, but the rate of regeneration may diminish, and even with regeneration, they would still eventually die of old age.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  19:41:13  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I understand it, aging occurs in the real world because the DNA eventually starts breaking down. As long as a creature is alive, its cells are constantly replacing themselves. But, when the DNA starts to break down, the cells are now replicating imperfect versions of themselves.

So I'd say that trolls that reach old age would still regenerate, but the rate of regeneration may diminish, and even with regeneration, they would still eventually die of old age.

Hm, yes that seems logical. Maybe at some point when the regenerative powers seems to weaken the other trolls will usually kill the old troll and eat it. Maybe some ritualistic thing, I can use that.

Thanks for the answers Victor and Wooly
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  19:53:48  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can well imagine the troll's regenerative ability causing the race to be far more susceptible to cancer than most other races. That's assuming cancer exists in the Realms, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  19:59:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but if the trolls in some way learned about this they could (theoretically) rip out or off the body part in question. Even if it "killed" the troll the largest body part would regenerate the troll back to life. This would be the work of troll shamans if it were done. Then again, trolls might be to dim and uncaring to understand the disease in many cases.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  21:32:36  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Savage medicine, that...

'Boss me 'Ead 'urts.'
'Come here Ur'glak' Rrrrrippp 'There all done'

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  11:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just trying to picure that: My PC stumble upon a troll cancer operation/surgeon, carried out by the shaman with a big axe....

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  11:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hm, yes that seems logical. Maybe at some point when the regenerative powers seems to weaken the other trolls will usually kill the old troll and eat it. Maybe some ritualistic thing, I can use that.

Thanks for the answers Victor and Wooly

If as Wooly said in the real world aging happens when cells replace themselves with imperfect versions of themselves, so maybe troll cells replace themselves with imperfect versions and if a troll gets into a lot of fights and he has to regenerate bodyparts often, it may effect the rate of his aging.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  18:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's kinda like Wolverine, where aging is either greatly reduced, so they can live for centuries, or the regeneration means they don't age at all. This is all depending on which source you read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000