Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Sacrifice of the Widow: Chapters 8 - 11
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  17:10:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Sacrifice of the Widow (Book 1 of The Lady Penitent), by Lisa Smedman. Please discuss chapters 8 - 11 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  22:23:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This certainly is a drow book, isn't it. I don't know if Selvetarm is actually working against Lolth, if his preists are working against her against his wishes, or if he is stringing them along to see if they can do anything against her, but hanging back enough from the situation to have "plausible deniability" if something goes wrong.

I'm definately interested to see what the answer to the High Magic question is, and I'm also really wondering what will result from this particular turn of events.

Given what has gone on in this section of the book, I'm hoping that we get a more detailed history of the Crescent Blade. While Eilistraee seems to be willing to use it against Lolth, and her preistesses seem to hold is sacred, it seems to have its own agenda, one that is tied to Halisstra, and doesn't seem overly concerned with doing "good" per se.

And as much as I want the "good guys" to win and I'd rather not see too much of Toril torn up, I have to admit, I'm kind of hoping to see Ghaunadaur end up as a part of the story . . . then again, I'm hoping that the whole Dark Seldarine has something to do with this and that we get more than just a glimpse at the remnants of Kiaraunsalee's clergy's plans in these books as well . . .
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  23:18:14  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I'm hoping the Shevarash somehow gets involved later in the trilogy. Given Lisa Smedman's short story in Realms of the Elves focuses on a group of followers of Shevarash (and that it has a particularly nasty ending that doesn't exactly paint Shevarash in the best light), IMO it seems quite likely.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  23:23:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, so far we seem pretty focused on the Dark Seldarine, although, with the scope that this series is taking, I guess anything is possible.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  00:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Given what has gone on in this section of the book, I'm hoping that we get a more detailed history of the Crescent Blade. While Eilistraee seems to be willing to use it against Lolth, and her preistesses seem to hold is sacred, it seems to have its own agenda, one that is tied to Halisstra, and doesn't seem overly concerned with doing "good" per se.

No kidding. I just finished this novel, and everything written about the sword suggests that it might in fact be a tool of Lolth rather than Eilistraee (at least currently). It doesn't help that it was in the hands of a priestess (Cavatina) who has shown herself to have a bit of a dark side.

Also, while anything is possible, so far I have to agree that this trilogy is about the drow and drow deities first and foremost, and if the followers of Shevarash get involved, it will likely be only as a bit role.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Feb 2007 00:20:40
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  22:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Halisstra finally meets Qilue! Again, a nice recap of events from the end of the WotSQ series where she explained all that went on in Lloths main temple in the Demonweb Pits. Qilue's "prophecy" of the balancing coin which shows the aid and betray has got me anxious, knowing about Q'arlynd and Halisstra.

The encounter wish Qilue and Q'arlynd was also a good scene. Those spinning blades sure put me on edge though. Ouch! Agreeing to go in disguise is a little uneasy too.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  23:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another standout scene in the book for me was with Jub. Fantastic! I was really drawn into this character and his task and loved every minute. It had a slightly amusing edge how he was introduced by dangling and spinning on a strand of web in his polymorphed form and how he passed other spiders in the caverns.

I really liked how it described the weird sensation of being a spider and how it was odd seeing in front of you and also seeing the corridors disappearing behind you at the same time, due to the numerous multi-directional eyes of a spider.

The quill device Jub used was amazing!! Is this a paricular spell or magic item detailed somewhere? I want one!

It was also good to hear of the Chittin's and how they came to be.

I was gutted when the Dracolich found Jub and finished him off too

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  23:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think this is the best description of the Demonweb Pits i've ever read! I truely felt quite uneasy and scared by the thought of the place...very well described.

Those Chwidencha are pretty nasty sounding things too. I'd be running the the opposite direction and to the nearest portal out of there like a shot!

Also, liked the scene with the two fighting Selvtargletm who then healed and continued with other business without a second thought.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  23:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's certainly all coming to a head now. Q'arlynd is risking it! Yikes! When he arrives in the cavern it felt so on edge, and I couldn't believe Malvag suspected something straight away. When he performed his tests too, it was quite a tense moment.

The amusing part of this scene was when "Szorak" appeared in mid-air flailing his arms about after misjudging the cavern location It reminds me of the scene in Resurrection (WotSQ #6) when Valas and Ryld aren't familiar with movement on the planes and are uncontrollably bouncing around in low gravity whilst clinging onto each other

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  18:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful novel. Yet more great scenes, character development and plot turns. I really am getting the impression of the Eilistraeens being this elite fighting force, especially with Qilue's command of the multiple battles through her scrying font, ordering warriors and clergy off to those locations. Jub was a fun character, hope to see more of him (and was the reference to his release from captivity harking back to Daughter of the Drow? If so, more kudos for bringing in another reference to the previous FR novels!)

Cavatina, likewise, is turning into quite the complex character at this point. Q'arlynd's evenmore so.
Go to Top of Page

domare
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  17:37:41  Show Profile  Visit domare's Homepage Send domare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the novel as well. Ms. Lisa Smedman did a fantastic job with it. I must say, however, that I was hoping to hear a tidbit about that Black Archer Cult of Shevarash in the background. Awesome job nonetheless.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000